84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Swapping motor for a newer 22RE

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swapping motor for a newer 22RE

i recently bought an 85 4runner
i plan on swapping the motor for a 92 22re
i was informed that i would need to transfer the 85 injectors to the 92 which makes sense.
but i want put a new timing chain and water pump into the 92 motor. so do i get an 85 water pump or a 92 water pump?
and do i keep the 85 alternator or get a 92?
(any advice on any aspect of this swap would be of great great help to me as i have never pulled a motor)

and not on motor stuff...
the window molding on the side windows on topper are trashed. where can i pick up new ones?
and the back window window rail thing (on the outside at the top of the tail gate) is bent all to crap. as is the front door window outside railings. where can i pick up new ones of these?

i have searched this forum and looked around the internets but i believe i am just calling it the wrong thing.
can anyone please point me in a direction?
Old 12-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
If you are keeping '85 ECU and wiring harness, then you'll want to basically transfer over most, if not all the sensors and electrical devices off the '85 engine to the '92 engine. Mechanically, the engines are very similar, but the electronics changed over the years, different injector resistances, different connectors, etc. Not 100% sure, but water pump should be the same, either alternator should work, depending on the compatibility of the plug.

Might try http://www.car-part.com/ for the other parts.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if anyone makes those weatherstrip parts. Might have to go to a junkyard to find some or maybe check the classifieds on this forum for somebody parting out a truck.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
choose to run it as an 85 or a 92. The electronics and sensors are different. Also you chassis harness is not compatible with the 92 wiring. Best bet is to strip the 92 parts and use the 85 parts.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:43 PM

i agree. ive swapped a few 22re's and its CRITICAL to get the components that will fit into your harness correctly. so i second, third, or fourth the notion of using the '85 electrical parts(entire intake system). im not sure if they are interchangable but i would even use the '85 o2 sensor. even after doing this you will probably trip codes, but be patient and take your time. figure out each problem one at a time. i try to get one thing done on my truck everyday(although its a much less reliable 22r, carbs are awesome but they also suck) so i guess pacing yourself goes a long way. unless its an automatic tranny the swap is as easy as it gets.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:07 AM

awesome! thank you guys!

just clarifying for my own list in my head, lol
ok so, an 85 water pump should fit the 92?

and to GeminiFire:
why is an auto tranny easier? i have a standard but am just curious.

i will also be replacing the headgasket on the 92 motor and with the transferring of all the 85 components over to the 92 motor should i just buy an overhaul gasket kit (because i dont know exactly which ones i will need and dont want to leave anything out and in order to get to the headgasket i will need to replace air manifold tb and etc gaskets right?) and if i should then should i buy for the 85 or the 92? they have different stock numbers from toyota... or... just cherry pick for each year per component?

also, should i clean the intake manifold while its off and should i use brake cleaner? also how do i check the injectors (while they are out) to see if they are plugged or gummed up? good method for cleaning?

i apologize for my questions. i am just nervous about this because as stated ive never swapped before
Old 12-14-2011, 10:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Strip the 92 down to a long block (Block, head, timing cover, oil pan, valve cover) then put all the 85 stuff on. Super easy.

Just send the injectors to witch hunter for a good cleaning and flow testing.

I would highly suggest you get a complete gasket kit (OEM) for the swap. The top end kit dosen't have all the gaskets you need, hince the complete gasket kit. Also, order the kit for the 85, not the 92.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:54 AM

No what i said was(or meant to say anyway) was an auto tranny is harder to deal with when your swapping a motor in because you have to line the splines of the input shaft of the tranny to the flywheel/flexplate or whatever. whereas a manual can just go into any position, an auto has a notch that has to match up perfectly (kind of like the crank gear in the front of the motor that has that notch to make everything line up) and it makes it hell to get that motor in. it took me 3 hours just to drop a motor and i never want to do it again!!!
Old 12-14-2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by snobdds
Strip the 92 down to a long block (Block, head, timing cover, oil pan, valve cover) then put all the 85 stuff on. Super easy.

Just send the injectors to witch hunter for a good cleaning and flow testing.

I would highly suggest you get a complete gasket kit (OEM) for the swap. The top end kit dosen't have all the gaskets you need, hince the complete gasket kit. Also, order the kit for the 85, not the 92.

thanks dude!
youre in chey wy too! right on man
Old 12-14-2011, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by GeminiFire
No what i said was(or meant to say anyway) was an auto tranny is harder to deal with when your swapping a motor in because you have to line the splines of the input shaft of the tranny to the flywheel/flexplate or whatever. whereas a manual can just go into any position, an auto has a notch that has to match up perfectly (kind of like the crank gear in the front of the motor that has that notch to make everything line up) and it makes it hell to get that motor in. it took me 3 hours just to drop a motor and i never want to do it again!!!

oooooohhhh ok, i was confused. thank you for explaining man.
3hrs?! wow...
Old 12-14-2011, 12:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by roysome
thanks dude!
youre in chey wy too! right on man
Well let me know if you need some help...I'm kind of exprienced in these types of things.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by snobdds
Well let me know if you need some help...I'm kind of exprienced in these types of things.
thank you for the offer!!!!!!!!!!!
i can guarantee i will pm you here in the near future
Old 05-29-2012, 12:43 PM

22re swap

Im swapping a 22re from a 92 2wd to a 84 4x4 I pulled the motor and the engine harness and ECM which is the one located behind the kick panel on the passenger side if I'm not mistaken. Does anyone know if I need to pull anything else out? Besides the fuel tank because I'm gonna just run a inline fuel pump,( also curious on what would be the fuel pressure or a good fuel pump to run the motor)?

First time doing this swap and any help would be great.
Pics would help also