84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

shackle HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow shackle HELP!!!!

ok i have a 84 yota i currently have a 3-4 inch lift on it springs in front and blocks in the rear i wanna go a lil higher so i was wondering if i could just buy longer shackles and put them on the truck? i measured my shackles and there 3.5 hole center to hole center and im looking at the 6 inch shackles that would give my approx 2.5 inch of lift. is it safe to put shackles on when im blocked in the rear?will it have a crappy ride? and what all will i have to do lengthen the driveshaft,brakelines? how deep am i geting my self? thanks alot guys

oh by the way i read read and read and couldnt find a topic directly about this matter and wasnt about to dare to go to pirate 4x4 thanks again
Old 07-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
You would see 1"-1.5" of lift from those shackles:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Shackles.shtml#FAQ4

I've run that length or longer shackle for years, should be no problems, you may need to correct the pinion angle, though:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...es.shtml#FAQ12
Old 07-21-2009, 02:11 PM

My rear springs sag a little bit. If I put shackles on mine, would it level it out or should I do an add-a-leaf? I don't want to lift it any, mostly just keep it stock.

Last edited by 85RunnerSR5; 07-21-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bet you have a 3" lift if youhave no lift corrections currently

I have done this before and once you go to 4" or higher you need to correct a few things

your front drive line slip? is a issue jack up the truck and support it by its frame and let the spring relax without the tires on and see if it slips out or almost slips out I have broke n things in that area from it almost sliping out

brake lines extended? once again you can check if its ok with the above mention method I have cut the braket off the frame and massaged the steel line to make things work until i could do it right

steering correction? you need a adj drag link aka Zbar or go high steer you will find many limitations in your raduis IMO go high steer if your broke go Zbar

shocks? should i say more

pinion angle? your angle of your rear drive line is now horrible and weird vibrations will drive you nuts cut and reweld perches or slap on some cheesy degree shims

from what I remember that was my headache when i put on 6" shackles on 3" lift springs now for the blocks idk mine were all springs.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:06 PM

Why do you want it higher? Are you planning larger than 35" tires? Even then, 3-4" should be almost enough with minor fender trimming. 6" shackles are fine, but only if you cut and re-weld your rear shackle mount to achieve roughly a 45 degree shackle angle. Otherwise, those shackles are gonna stick straight up giving you a pretty rough ride. Also, as mentioned above, your steering is going to be limited, with or without a drop drag link (Z bar). I say run whatcha got.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:06 AM

how bad will it mess with my turning? i already did the high steer kit...im just wondering if it is worth just getting a couple inches of lift that way or if its a pain in the ass... i am wanting to go higher because i wheel in mudd i do very little rock climbing so i was just trying to get a lil more for cheap and lil time.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:09 AM

oh yeah and in the future i am gunna do the 63" chevy springs but just for now shackles...
Old 07-22-2009, 06:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 84yotaman
how bad will it mess with my turning? i already did the high steer kit...im just wondering if it is worth just getting a couple inches of lift that way or if its a pain in the ass... i am wanting to go higher because i wheel in mudd i do very little rock climbing so i was just trying to get a lil more for cheap and lil time.
Won't affect turning (assuming you mean steering) at all. For the front, you may need to put in shims to correct the caster angle as that will change about 1 degree per extra inch of shackle length.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:54 AM

Oh, nice, if you already have hysteer then you're fine. The ride may just be a little rough.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:08 AM

great it already feels like im riding in a wagon ok thanks guys you were alot of help ill put up pics and maybe write up on it if you have any more info please let your fingers do the talking
Old 07-22-2009, 02:19 PM

yea your all good with high steer

I have 4" lift springs with 6" shackles and no degree shims up front

my front pinion angle is horrible but I have no problems my steering is smooth as warm butter and I can flip a bit on a residential street without 2 pointing it.

I have had bad experences with shims i have broken two of em so I dont bother with them anymore

I hope to go High pinion one day

I dont like them they break often
Old 07-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Banned

ok i have a 84 yota i currently have a 3-4 inch lift on it springs in front and blocks in the rear i wanna go a lil higher so i was wondering if i could just buy longer shackles and put them on the truck? i measured my shackles and there 3.5 hole center to hole center and im looking at the 6 inch shackles that would give my approx 2.5 inch of lift. is it safe to put shackles on when im blocked in the rear?will it have a crappy ride? and what all will i have to do lengthen the driveshaft,brakelines? how deep am i geting my self? thanks alot guys

oh by the way i read read and read and couldnt find a topic directly about this matter and wasnt about to dare to go to pirate 4x4 thanks again
6" Shackles give you about 1.25" of rear lift, I made some for less then 20$...
It will ride better then before, I'd ditch the blocks, and driveshaft, braklines, and all that will be fine, please before asking anymore questions, SEARCH, when you think you've learned enough, get a tape measure and go check everything on your truck, and then when you think your done, do it all again.

I like my shackles anyways, here's a thread on them if your interested..

http://www.fattshack.com/phpbb3/view...t=2115&start=0