84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Need help w/ too tall of truck. Springs and driveshaft questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help w/ too tall of truck. Springs and driveshaft questions.

Ok I'm finally able to get another truck again and I have one that I'm specifically looking at. Its a 86 4runner, sas'd, 10" chevy springs, and a 3" body lift. My only real problem with the truck is that it seems too friggen tall in the pics. I have 1 son and another on the way and can't see myself putting 2 kids in the backseat very easily lol. SOOOO... My question is what parts would I have to replace to lower the truck from this height to say, 8" total lift (5" suspension lift + the 3" body). So far from searching around it seems that besides the obvious (springs and shocks) the driveshafts have to be customed. Is that only for springs that go past a certain height (pertaining to if you have stock driveshafts) and if the taper (pumpkin) allows for it? I kinda want to just be able to pick up stock driveshafts and get the largest lift springs that the stock shafts will allow me to. LMK if i'm missing any info that could help. BTW heres a picture of the truck just so you guys can see for yourself.

Oh and if i pick up the truck I'm gonna probably replace the 36's it has on it with 33's or 32's. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by turbo86yota; 12-09-2007 at 05:22 AM.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:16 AM

Lose the body lift entirely. You won't need it for 33" tires.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:52 AM

3'' is the biggest you can go with stock driveshafts.

In my opinion, it is easier to buy a stock(ish) rig and modify it to your liking then it will be to undo a badly modified truck.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Hayes
3'' is the biggest you can go with stock driveshafts.

In my opinion, it is easier to buy a stock(ish) rig and modify it to your liking then it will be to undo a badly modified truck.
Yeah I know what you mean. I've been looking for one on this rock but to no avail. They are either owned by younger guys who love them or older people who also love them and hold on to them like their dentures. I've decided to do the following:

1. Leave the leafs
2. Remove the complete 3"body lift as suggested.
3. Also remove the 4" shackles and replace them with 1.5" ones.
4. Remove the 36's and put 33's on.

That should, theoretically speaking, remove right around 6-7" of lift, not accounting for spring sagging, spring angles, etc... BUT... with all that done (mainly talking about the shackles) i SHOULD be able to keep my current driveshafts right?
Old 12-09-2007, 03:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure if this will help, but I would look for a 4-door, especially with a second kid on the way,

Have you ever owned a 2-door 4runner like that one? I have, and even though it was stock, it's still a pain for anyone (over 5 1/2 ft tall) to get into the back seat, let alone trying to put a car seat in there, A kid (like 5-12) would be a little easier because they are small and you can give them a lift into the back, and they can buckle themselves up and stuff, but a baby? that just seems incredibly unpracticle (sp?)

After a few months of having that with 2 kids, I think you (or your signifigant other) is going to get so tired of it that you'll be looking for another vehicle

now if you're just buying this as something to go play around in, and bring the kids along, then that's a whole other story, buy it, lower it back down if need be, and go have fun
Old 12-09-2007, 05:36 PM

loose the body lift and you'll be happy and its so easy to do, it might take a day, with breaks for that six pack. good luck i had the exact same set up and tire combo on my 87 4runner, it was perfect.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by b.miller123
I'm not sure if this will help, but I would look for a 4-door, especially with a second kid on the way,

Have you ever owned a 2-door 4runner like that one? I have, and even though it was stock, it's still a pain for anyone (over 5 1/2 ft tall) to get into the back seat, let alone trying to put a car seat in there, A kid (like 5-12) would be a little easier because they are small and you can give them a lift into the back, and they can buckle themselves up and stuff, but a baby? that just seems incredibly unpracticle (sp?)

After a few months of having that with 2 kids, I think you (or your signifigant other) is going to get so tired of it that you'll be looking for another vehicle

now if you're just buying this as something to go play around in, and bring the kids along, then that's a whole other story, buy it, lower it back down if need be, and go have fun
LOL yeah i know what you mean. But the funny thing was that I had a 86 turbo pickup before with a camper and my wife never complained. The truck was a single cab and we just put our son in the front seat and my wife jumped in the back of the bed. This went on for a good 6 mo. The only reason we got rid of the truck was b/c we were getting too many problems from the turbo plus, the truck had no torque low end wat so ever. Couldn't' crawl for . Since then she missed the truck (we had a v6 ext cab after that, sold that to my friend) and has been nagging me to get another one. SO long story short I sold the LS400 to pick this up. Just to shut her mouth... She's happy and her excuse is "OH now we have room for 2 strollers." Great....
Old 12-11-2007, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by -MUDSLINGER-
loose the body lift and you'll be happy and its so easy to do, it might take a day, with breaks for that six pack. good luck i had the exact same set up and tire combo on my 87 4runner, it was perfect.
Thanks for the info man... I'm gonna try it... Thanks every1....
Old 12-11-2007, 05:46 PM

take off the body lift and remove a couple of leafs from the pack or hell leave it alone and buy some 44s