84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Knocking / clicking activated when clutch is out (Link to audio)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knocking / clicking activated when clutch is out (Link to audio)

On my 1985 Toyota Pickup 4x4 a knocking/clicking sound can be heard coming from behind the driver-side front wheel when the following is true (audio below):
  • Clutch is not being held down
  • Vehicle is in Reverse or 1st-3rd gears (haven't tested 5th gear)

Here is an audio clip of the problem. First the clutch is in. Then I release the clutch. Then I rev the engine so you can heard the knocking accelerate.

Thanks for any help identifying the source of the sound!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:46 PM

I had this problem on my 86, unfortunately it got totalled before I could fix the problem. I did replace the clutch and throw out bearing but it did not fix the problem.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:46 AM

Thanks for the post, crash121. Sorry to hear of the loss of your 86.

I was hoping it would be the clutch and not the transmission -- or something else really simple. Will post back if I find out anything.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try checking for any loose bolts around the bell housing first, then I would check your fluid level next, may be low. Almost sounds like your bell housing or maybe flywheel is warped or even mis-aligned. When you accelerate so does the noise, if the clutch isn't engaged then it wouldn't be your throwout bearing as that is what helps engage/ disengage the clutch. Possible that the input shaft bearing is worn out as well being that it's audible in most gears. How's it doing in 5th?
Old 03-06-2012, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When the clutch pedal is not pressed in, the clutch is actually pressed against the flywheel. Let me know if I'm wrong.
Maybe your flywheel is loose?
There's' also a metal plate on the bottom section of the bell housing. If that's loose, that can also cause the noise.

Last edited by anthony1; 03-06-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:32 PM

Thanks y'all.

Have plans to do brake / clutch / tranny fluids this weekend so we'll see if I can dig up anymore evidence. Going to research all of your suggestions.

A little history: bought the truck as a teenager in '98. First ride. Drove it until 2003 when this problem started happening. I was moving across the country and couldn't take it with me so I parked it as is. 9 years later I've shipped the truck to Atlanta and I'm beginning to fix it up. So far a friend and I have given it a tune-up, plugs, wires, cap, oil change, air/oil/fuel filters, carb clean, and drained the gas tank. But must warn, anything to do with the clutch or transmission is new territory for me. Brace for some naive questions as I learn.

Will keep you updated with my findings.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by dubbsbetty
How's it doing in 5th?
Haven't gotten there yet. After this weekend I'll be street legal and have safe tires. I'll let you know.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PM me if you need a hand with anything. I live near Augusta and I come to Atl on at least a weekly basis... Be happy to lend a hand some weekend.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:05 AM

No change on clutch/transmission fluids yet. Probably this weekend. However, the vehicle is now street legal so I was able to take it for a longer drive.

Originally Posted by dubbsbetty
How's it doing in 5th?
Knocking happens in 5th gear. 4th gear is the only gear it doesn't happen in. Also as the truck got warmer the knocking was happening less when in neutral. Actually when I'm coasting and in neutral there was no knocking. Parked and neutral there is still knocking.

A second issue: I'm riding rough and stalling when stopped (cold idle ?). I turned up the idle speed screw and it fixed the stalling but after about 15 minutes of driving (warm idle) it was idling way to high at stop lights. So I'll be playing around with that too.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:33 AM

Spoke with a transmission shop and their also pretty certain it's the front bearing on the input shaft. They propose finding a backup used transmission ready to go on in case the parts can't be found and/or -- more parts are needed that take our cost above replacing the whole thing.

So I'm shopping for one. Found a guy with a tran that came off of an '86 runner with 180k on it. Does anyone know if that will fit '85 5 speed 22r standard bed?

Someone mentioned there is a thread on YotoTech that compares transmissions, but I couldn't find it.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:51 PM

Smile

Just an update on this. I ended up driving it around more (shouldn't have) until I blew all gears accept 4th.

Since then I've ordered and installed a rebuilt trans from Marlin Crawler and their clutch kit. Also swapped out the flywheel and rear main seal.

One problem I'm having now that I'm on the road is there seems to be a hissing sound coming from near the shifters. I've detailed it with an audio clip in this thread, if anyone is curious or has a suggestion.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:30 PM

Hissing sound fixed. Vacuum problem. I bet the hose got knocked loose while trying to loosen the starter nut when taking out the tranny. Anyway, I'm glad it did because it had a giant hole in it!

Now I'm up and running smoothly, and with lots of power.