84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Intermittent Turn Sig cancel

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 10:30 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Intermittent Turn Sig cancel

I’ve had this basic 84 P/u for the last few years and I rarely use the turn sigs, but recently started to. They work fine but rarely cancel (either direction), I figured it was a plastic piece had broken off. Then the other day it cancelled as it should in both directions and I had not done anything to it or differently. Then it want back to not canceling. Also, FWIW, the brass horn pin probably needs to be replaced.

Anyone ever have this happen, any thoughts on what it may be?

Thanks

L

Old 08-21-2016, 09:30 AM

anyone?
Old 09-04-2016, 01:47 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Just why do you not use your turn signals ??

Things wear out

There is a ball under spring tension that as the steering wheel is turned cancels the turn signal

Most times the plastic surface it rides on gets worn . Could be just very dirty as well

You can replace the whole switch or what I did was build up the worn area with some plastic shims then glued with super glue.

This has been working fine for years I even bought another used switch to install but never needed to
Old 09-04-2016, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Just why do you not use your turn signals ??

Things wear out

There is a ball under spring tension that as the steering wheel is turned cancels the turn signal

Most times the plastic surface it rides on gets worn . Could be just very dirty as well

You can replace the whole switch or what I did was build up the worn area with some plastic shims then glued with super glue.

This has been working fine for years I even bought another used switch to install but never needed to
Just why do you not use your turn signals ?? I usually don't but sometimes I just do.

Thanks for the repair tip. It looks like new switches are no longer available.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:41 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
for the brass horn pin slide a 22LR shell over it
Old 04-10-2018, 10:31 AM

Annnd we’re back to this project with an update and a new problem.
The intermittent turn sig cancel became sorta “fixed” when I removed the steering wheel to look at its mounting etc as compared to a much nicer looking and in much better shape wheel I got from a 90 Pu (a swap I am looking to do at some point).
Once I cleaned up the dust and detritus and reinstalled the wheel the turn sigs started canceling on a fairly regular basis. I don’t know if this is a good permanent fix but it is, or was, good for months till a new problem arose.
Now . . . I have a related problem. I had the “opportunity” to use my hazard flashers recently. Suffice it to say I found a tool on the road and it was able to penetrate my less than year old 8-ply tire. Side bar: Bizarrely, the tire thing happened at the same exact place where I had shredded a tire which led me to buy the newer 8-plys.
So once I sorted the tires out I went back to my normal driving and I went to signal for a turn and nada, nyet, nothing – no turn signal in either direction. Woo Hoo. I checked the hazard lights and nada, nyet, nothing. Grrr. A day or so later I checked the fuse and it is good. So I flip on the hazards again and now they work – YAY. The turn sigs not-so-yay – still nada.
So, the current (an electrical pun) situ is: the bulbs are all good; the flasher (common for both the turn sigs and hazards) is good. This leaves just the turn/combo switch correct? The other items on the combo switch (headlights, wipers) are working. Where else should I look/test?
BTW, I did some searching here and couldn’t find a thread that quite matched mine but there were also a lot of threads that came up, many without a clear solution.

Last edited by L5wolvesf; 04-10-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:11 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
Annnd we’re back to this project with an update and a new problem.
The intermittent turn sig cancel became sorta “fixed” when I removed the steering wheel to look at its mounting etc as compared to a much nicer looking and in much better shape wheel I got from a 90 Pu (a swap I am looking to do at some point).
Once I cleaned up the dust and detritus and reinstalled the wheel the turn sigs started canceling on a fairly regular basis. I don’t know if this is a good permanent fix but it is, or was, good for months till a new problem arose.
Now . . . I have a related problem. I had the “opportunity” to use my hazard flashers recently. Suffice it to say I found a tool on the road and it was able to penetrate my less than year old 8-ply tire. Side bar: Bizarrely, the tire thing happened at the same exact place where I had shredded a tire which led me to buy the newer 8-plys.
So once I sorted the tires out I went back to my normal driving and I went to signal for a turn and nada, nyet, nothing – no turn signal in either direction. Woo Hoo. I checked the hazard lights and nada, nyet, nothing. Grrr. A day or so later I checked the fuse and it is good. So I flip on the hazards again and now they work – YAY. The turn sigs not-so-yay – still nada.
So, the current (an electrical pun) situ is: the bulbs are all good; the flasher (common for both the turn sigs and hazards) is good. This leaves just the turn/combo switch correct? The other items on the combo switch (headlights, wipers) are working. Where else should I look/test?
BTW, I did some searching here and couldn’t find a thread that quite matched mine but there were also a lot of threads that came up, many without a clear solution.
sorry, font's too small. LOL!
Old 04-10-2018, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
sorry, font's too small. LOL!
Yeah, I tried to change it but I didn't see a font size icon. I changed the font on WORD but it still wouldn't do anything different here.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:00 PM

Exclamation

(Went to "source" mode and removed those pesky "h6's" in brackets...
Annnd we’re back to this project with an update and a new problem. The intermittent turn sig cancel became sorta “fixed” when I removed the steering wheel to look at its mounting etc as compared to a much nicer looking and in much better shape wheel I got from a 90 Pu (a swap I am looking to do at some point). Once I cleaned up the dust and detritus and reinstalled the wheel the turn sigs started canceling on a fairly regular basis. I don’t know if this is a good permanent fix but it is, or was, good for months till a new problem arose.

So once I sorted the tires out I went back to my normal driving and I went to signal for a turn and nada, nyet, nothing – no turn signal in either direction. Woo Hoo. I checked the hazard lights and nada, nyet, nothing. Grrr. A day or so later I checked the fuse and it is good. So I flip on the hazards again and now they work – YAY. The turn sigs not-so-yay – still nada.So, the current (an electrical pun) situ is: the bulbs are all good; the flasher (common for both the turn sigs and hazards) is good. This leaves just the turn/combo switch correct? The other items on the combo switch (headlights, wipers) are working. Where else should I look/test?BTW, I did some searching here and couldn’t find a thread that quite matched mine but there were also a lot of threads that came up, many without a clear solution.
Sounds like you have two problems at the same time; mechanical in the case of not canceling, and intermittent electrical.
Need one essential info: Do you hear the blinker relay click even when either hazard, left, or right turn do not work?
Attached Thumbnails Intermittent Turn Sig cancel-screen-shot-2018-04-10-12.40.50-pm.png  
Old 04-10-2018, 12:03 PM

Exclamation

Annnd we’re back to this project with an update and a new problem. The intermittent turn sig cancel became sorta “fixed” when I removed the steering wheel to look at its mounting etc as compared to a much nicer looking and in much better shape wheel I got from a 90 Pu (a swap I am looking to do at some point). Once I cleaned up the dust and detritus and reinstalled the wheel the turn sigs started canceling on a fairly regular basis. I don’t know if this is a good permanent fix but it is, or was, good for months till a new problem arose.

So once I sorted the tires out I went back to my normal driving and I went to signal for a turn and nada, nyet, nothing – no turn signal in either direction. Woo Hoo. I checked the hazard lights and nada, nyet, nothing. Grrr. A day or so later I checked the fuse and it is good. So I flip on the hazards again and now they work – YAY. The turn sigs not-so-yay – still nada.So, the current (an electrical pun) situ is: the bulbs are all good; the flasher (common for both the turn sigs and hazards) is good. This leaves just the turn/combo switch correct? The other items on the combo switch (headlights, wipers) are working. Where else should I look/test?BTW, I did some searching here and couldn’t find a thread that quite matched mine but there were also a lot of threads that came up, many without a clear solution.
Sounds like you have two problems at the same time; mechanical in the case of not canceling, and intermittent electrical, most likely on the combo switch contacts.
Need one essential info: Do you hear the blinker relay click even when either hazard, left, or right turn do not work?

A thousand words below...

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 04-10-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:14 PM

Uhmmm OK I didn't see pesky "h6's" in brackets - you speak strange language stranger.

Sounds like you have two problems at the same time; mechanical in the case of not canceling, and intermittent electrical.
The mechanical issue was working well until I used the hazards - so I've semi ruled that out.

When the hazard flashers are on I hear and felt the flasher clicking, and the dash indicator lights flash along with the lights outside.
When I turn on either turn sig no sight no sound - just the opposite of the Twilight Zone.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:50 PM

[QUOTE=L5wolvesf;52395720]Uhmmm OK I didn't see pesky "h6's" in brackets - you speak strange language stranger. [/QUOTE
LOL!
When you click "Source" (attached), you get into a little basic HTML editing mode.

When the hazard flashers are on I hear and felt the flasher clicking, and the dash indicator lights flash along with the lights outside.
When I turn on either turn sig no sight no sound - just the opposite of the Twilight Zone.
Most likely the contacts in red rectangle in attached, or power/connection to them...
You remember, of course, that hazards will work as long as good battery is connected, while turns only work with IGN On, right?
Attached Thumbnails Intermittent Turn Sig cancel-schematic_turn_signal.jpg   Intermittent Turn Sig cancel-source.png  
Old 04-10-2018, 01:15 PM

Blinker relay Check off the vehicle

Blinker relay Check off the vehicle:

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 04-10-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:15 PM

[QUOTE=RAD4Runner;52395726]
Most likely the contacts in red rectangle in attached, or power/connection to them...
You remember, of course, that hazards will work as long as good battery is connected, while turns only work with IGN On, right?
Yes - turns only work with IGN On

Yeah I knida figured it was the combo switch. Could it be that, like the IGN switch (starter relay fix deal), having full power through the switch kills it over time?

Also, Is there a test procedure in the FSM for a combo switch that is OUT of the vehicle? I'm thinking of getting a used one (new is too damn expensive) and test it before installing it - maybe even test one at a wrecking yard.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:17 PM

Also, Is there a test procedure in the FSM for a combo switch that is OUT of the vehicle? I'm thinking of getting a used one (new is too damn expensive) and test it before installing it - maybe even test one at a wrecking yard.
My finger is faster than yours ... LOL! ^^^
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115.../#post52395732
Old 04-10-2018, 01:25 PM

My finger is faster than yours ... LOL! ^^^
In some things faster isn't better

Uhmmm, that loops back to your flasher test request. I'm wondering about testing the combo switch (lights, wipers, etc) outside of the truck.

If you give me a fairly detailed how to I'll give the flasher test a shot.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:45 PM

OK, hold up a bit. I went out to look at the flasher again and discovered there are 3 items under the fuse box. The one I felt clicking is the green one. I didn’t notice earlier that there was the round silver flasher behind that. So, I checked again and I can feel the clicks on all 3. Now another question: what are the 2 square items 1 green & 1 grey?
Attached Thumbnails Intermittent Turn Sig cancel-toy-pu-flashers.jpg  
Old 04-10-2018, 02:14 PM

While trying to figure out which one of those is the flasher I came across the attached "Flasher Troubleshooting" guide.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
FlasherTroubleshoot.pdf (45.1 KB, 60 views)
Old 04-10-2018, 04:10 PM

OKEY, found the check procedure. I revised above "question" post to make it the "Test Procedure" post...

On my 1986 22RE (here). The cube is the blinker. That should be the only one that clicks on-off when blinkers are on.
The one on top and toward front of vehicle is the tail light and the other one is the EFI (22R-e) main relay. Don't know what that other cube is on your 22R.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 04-10-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:41 AM

OKEY, found the check procedure. I revised above "question" post to make it the "Test Procedure" post...

On my 1986 22RE (here). The cube is the blinker. That should be the only one that clicks on-off when blinkers are on.
The one on top and toward front of vehicle is the tail light and the other one is the EFI (22R-e) main relay. Don't know what that other cube is on your 22R.
Thank you. Is there a test procedure in the FSM for the combo (headlight, wipers, turn sig, hazards) switch when it is OUT of the vehicle? I'm thinking of getting a used one (new is too damn expensive) and test it before installing it - maybe even test one at a wrecking yard. Thanks

Quick Reply: Intermittent Turn Sig cancel