84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Help Quick! Rear Window Motor Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Quick! Rear Window Motor Wiring Harness

When I had my truck in the body shop I had them fill the cut wheel wells for when my axle was relocated backwards. In the process I think they disconnected one of the wiring harnesses. SEE PIC BELOW.

I'm pretty sure that's the harness for the rear window motor but I can't see where it's counterpart is.

I have a camping trip I'm leaving for the in morning, and I have to get this window working by then.

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2009, 05:06 PM

Update: I took the interior pieces off of the tailgate and saw no loose wires, nothing disconnected other than what was previously said.

The rear window wiper work fine so the wiring shouldn't be messed up before it splits at the picture of the harness in the previous post.

Also, there is no noise coming from anything when I either use the key to try and roll down the window or the switch up front, so either the motor went REALLY bad all of the sudden or I'm missing something big.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
That plug in your picture is for the rear washer fluid tank, which you appear to be missing.

The rear window motor, which is located in the GATE, is round. They may have unplgged the master plug, which is drivers rear quarter about 3/4 way down. Large plug with 10 or so wires in it.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:25 PM

Thanks Death, I ended up not taking the truck, considering everything is taken apart.

Yeah, I know the motor is in the tailgate. I'll check for the master plug on Sunday. Is it near the deck lamp or the lamp on the interior of that side?

EDIT: Checked the master plug. it's just hidden behind the jack frame (which I'm taking out tomorrow), and it's plugged in.

Last edited by Johannes; 04-20-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you find out what the problem is, PLEASE update...I JUST found my rear window nonfunctional this morning...it worked fine yesterday (Is there a separate fuse, other than the one for all the power windows? everything else works). Same symptoms...that is no activation from button OR key, and no sounds coming from inside the gate...I really hope it's not a bad motor!
Old 04-19-2009, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In another thread, Justinlhc suggested clicking the window lock button a few times....I did this after engaging the rear wiper (to see if it also wasn't working). Presto, rear window is back in action!
Old 04-19-2009, 01:56 PM

Well I'm back in town and I haven't gotten a chance to look at the wiring or anything like that, I can say that I did unlock and relock the tailgate from the inside as I don't have a bottun to do so from anywhere else in the vehicle, and it still didn't work. I'm going to get back on it again today.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

The window lock button is only on SR5's with power windows.

The switches all apply grounds. The power is at the window all the time. Check it with a test light.

The relays that control the switches/grounds are located in the wall next to the left rear passenger seat. Start tracing the signals... Make sure power is at the motor and then trace the grounds back to the switches.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:19 PM

It must be switch or relay. In order to get into the bed I connected the motor to a battery and the motor works fine, and so does the rear window wiper.

That leaves me kind of confused. There must be a bad wire or the switch is bad.

EDIT: Fuses are all good.

Last edited by Johannes; 04-21-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow! i am havin problems w/ rear window as well. The wiper works but window won't budge. just got back from the junk yard w/ all sorts of goodies (including rear window motor for $20) Gonna fiddle w/ that today. Also found a tailgate on an 89 4-runner; mine is an 88 4-runner...is the 89 tailgate compatible w/ the 88???? it looks like it would swap but indecision and impending rain storm left me reluctant to salvage it.....
Old 04-21-2009, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by WatsonToyota
Wow! i am havin problems w/ rear window as well. The wiper works but window won't budge. just got back from the junk yard w/ all sorts of goodies (including rear window motor for $20) Gonna fiddle w/ that today. Also found a tailgate on an 89 4-runner; mine is an 88 4-runner...is the 89 tailgate compatible w/ the 88???? it looks like it would swap but indecision and impending rain storm left me reluctant to salvage it.....
I think it's the relay, but I can't find it in my rig.

Don't do the tailgate swap, there's nothing in your tailgate (that you probably didn't get in parts) that would help the window go up or down, unless it's the motor, in which case, i'm not sure which is easier, removing the tailgate or changing out the wiring/motor.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Johannes
I think it's the relay, but I can't find it in my rig.

Don't do the tailgate swap, there's nothing in your tailgate (that you probably didn't get in parts) that would help the window go up or down, unless it's the motor, in which case, i'm not sure which is easier, removing the tailgate or changing out the wiring/motor.
U could run a 3 way toggle switch...After some evaluation and discussion, i'm prolly just gonna run a toggle for the window, the weathers gettin nice and i'm road tripping this weekend and between work and hockey playoffs that will prolly be the quickest solution.

My tailgate is all rotted out at the bottom, i wasn't sure if the 88 and 89 body styles matched up, prolly should have been more clear on my question....
Old 04-22-2009, 06:54 PM

i just decided to put some 12 gauge jumper wires comin from the motor and just hit em with jumper cables lol!
Old 04-22-2009, 07:06 PM

So I tried to figure out where the relays for the switch are, using a Haynes and Googling it a couple of times, and I'm stumped. I checked the passenger kick panel where the ECU is nothing else there.

Hmm...clever, but I def am going to want that switch to mount back up again.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:59 PM

Has a similar problem recently with a tailgate swap. The relay in an 85 runner is located on the drivers side behind the panel at the passengers legs. Check there first. Also check the pin on the master plug to make sure youre getting power. See attached link for more troubleshooting.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...arWindow.shtml

Good luck!!