84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Front drive shaft doesnt spin freely when transfer case is not engaged

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front drive shaft doesnt spin freely when transfer case is not engaged

Okay, so the other day I replaced my driver side wheel bearings, as I had changed the passenger side a few weeks prior (didnt have time or proper tools to do at same time). Anyways, today I noticed that I had gear oil coming from the bleeder valve on the front axle, or at least I think this is the place it is spewing from. So I decided to make sure my front drive shaft was still able to spin freely, and for some reason it is not. Its not completely locked up, but makes about half turns. However, despite this, I am still able to use 4wheel drive the normal way.

I think it might be that one of my hubs is not unlocking, as I noticed one of the springs in my driver side hub looks to be shot (was completely compressed when I took apart). I have never checked to see how the front drive shaft acts when the hubs are engaged but the transfer case isnt. Needing some help please, Im praying my transfer case isnt ˟˟˟˟ed, or possibly my front chunk (I think if either of these 2 were the case, I wouldnt be able to use 4 wheel drive). Any help would be really appreciated.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would start with hub issues. Lift each front tire and spin it. If the front d-shaft wants to spin also, then that hub is staying engaged. Once I made sure the hubs were ok, I would move to diff then t-case. But I'm thinking a hub is staying locked.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:28 PM

A hub is sticky or broken spring. Pull the end cap off and inspect. They can hang up if there isnt enough grease, or there is to much or its gotten to thick with the colder weather.

Last edited by toyquad; 01-03-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:25 PM

OKay, well it turned out I put the hubs back to gether wrong initially, but they're back together the right way now, but I still have an issue. My passenger side is fine (now) and works properly, but the driver side is not engaging at all now. I took the dial off and put the parts back together properly and put a lite coat of grease. When I put the dial back it will free spin in free mode, but when I lock it and spin the tire I hear a click in the hub, and the drive shaft doesnt spin. I actually realize now I might have messed up the smaller spring, because when I first pulled it off a few days ago I thought they werent supposed to be completely compressed, and after watching a how-to video, it turns out they are. And when I thought it was messed up, I pulled the spring apart a little and now it doesnt line up very well with one of the other pieces (dont know the name).

Is this spring my issue? Or more grease?

And also, seeing as I drove on the highway with my hubs engaged (around 55 -60mph), is the diff fluid that is coming from the bleeder valve caused from the gears turning at such a high speed? It sounds stupid, but im just wondering.

Thanks for the quick replies too, I really appreciate it, and im thankful this isnt a diff or transfer case problem.

Last edited by coreyzupka; 01-04-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In regards to the oil coming from the breather, if it is spewing out of the breather, it may be overfilled. I don't believe it should come out of there regardless of 4wd speed. I've never had it come out. Except when I rolled my Cruiser 8 times.... Lol. At which point I had all kinds of other issues....
Old 01-05-2013, 02:22 AM

more than likely that hub isnt working, go to the wreckers and grab a new hub or try and bend that spring back, take apart the other side for comparison. give em a generous amount of grease and throw it back together. any pics of how your assembling them? if you dont put the retainer back in correctly it will not engage properly, it will just click.

as for your oil issue, its probibly just over filled, i drive around all winter with my hubs locked in, doing 40-60mph in 2wd and 4wd. never had that issue.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:21 PM

Alright guys, I solved the problem, it turns out I am just an idiot. When I tested the passenger side, I had not worked on the driver side yet, so it (the driver side) was still engaged, so when I tested the passenger side the drive shaft would spin. Well when I tested the driver side, the passenger side was free, so I just wasnt engaging both sides to check the spin of the drive shaft.

As for the oil, my brother-in-law is a mechanic at toyota and said it probably shot a little out the top from driving so fast with the hubs engaged. Not doubting the validity of your statement noodle, but it some what makes sense, he explained more about the fluid expanding and such from the cold. Anyways, I wiped the oil away and took it for a test drive and everything was fine.

So thanks for all the help, again.