84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

can anyone help me out im looking at an 84 toyota PU. need to know if its trouble.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can anyone help me out im looking at an 84 toyota PU. need to know if its trouble.

ok ive been trying to convince my dad to get this truck for me, for quite some time now and he's a bit worried that we may have problems with it. heres the specs on what the truck has.

its an 84 toyota 4x4 extended cab. automatic trans.
had a 283 chevy v8 installed that is bored 30 over. has a mild cam and new edelbrock carb.
has a 350 turbo transmission and motor and tanny have about 3k miles.
has rebuilt knuckles.
new greasable shackles, new extended brake lines.
has a 3" body lift for the tranny and 4" suspension lift.
new BFG mud terrain tires.

guy wants 4 grand for it and has about 4500 dollars worth of work in reciepts easily.

my dad is worried that it will flip too easy and that the engine has a little too much power for the axles to handle. if you could leave some responses to what you think about the truck, if it needs some work recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, as long as you don't go balls out, the only problems would be from the work he had done to it. But for 4 grand it is definetly worth it. Mine was 5500$ and it was STOCK, of course it was newer but no solid axle up front, I would get it in a heartbeat. And for the "flipping" factor thats all you, just don't take corner at high speeds, learn how the truck handles by taking it slow if you get it. And you can mount the tires on wider rims with less backspace to get a wider stance. Mine stick out a good 2.5" and it is very stable with a 2" BL and 5" suspension with no sway bar.

Last edited by Mic09dcsm; 08-25-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mic09dcsm
No, as long as you don't go balls out, the only problems would be from the work he had done to it. But for 4 grand it is definetly worth it. Mine was 5500$ and it was STOCK, of course it was newer but no solid axle up front, I would get it in a heartbeat. And for the "flipping" factor thats all you, just don't take corner at high speeds, learn how the truck handles by taking it slow if you get it. And you can mount the tires on wider rims with less backspace to get a wider stance. Mine stick out a good 2.5" and it is very stable with a 2" BL and 5" suspension with no sway bar.
What was said above is very much corect, if the work done to the truck was done right and not a hack job, then its definatly worth it. just take your time with it and learn how the truck handles and drives and don`t beat on it, then it should be a very reliable truck.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:14 PM

thanks but supose i wanted to take it wheelin, me and my buddies dont do anything serious out in the dunes but my buddy is concerned if the the wheels catch it can wrap the leaf springs around the axle. he suggests ladder bars. ive looked around and it seems as though people go through the extra trouble to get the SAS axles from 84/85 toyota's. i just want to have the right parts for when i use this truck out in the dunes.

Last edited by 4x4 novice; 08-26-2008 at 02:42 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:51 AM

The extra power in the dunes will be a lot more fun and I think the axles will do fine. I think axle wrap will definately be an issue(especialy in sand) but I wouldnt worry about hurting the leaf springs, but It WILL cause a lot of wheel hop and as Im sure you know, this is a recipe for a busted front axle. There is a couple companys that make ladder bar type stuff to help with this but still require some welding/fabrication.
I wouldnt worry about the rear axle either, I have punnished stock rear axles for years with 400+ hp SBCs and never broke one.
The front Birfields are another story. They are the weak link, but the good news is, they are cheap if you replace them yourself and there is plenty of stronger aftermarket stuff for 1st gen Yotas.
AND...if you do get it, there are always plenty of folks here on Yotatech to answer all your questions.
I dont know where you live but if your in an area that uses salt, look over the frame closely for rust.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:26 AM

BTW, I forgot to mention, NEVER, EVER, get this setup airborne. It WILL bend the front axle housing, even a trussed one.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:46 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Personally I side with your dad. A bastard modified vehicle will be nothing but a headache when something dies and/or breaks, and it will. Receipts just mean he spent money on it yet it offers no guarantee it was money well spent. I especially hate sbcs stuck in a bastarded Toyota. Pass.

For $4-5K you can get a nice Toyota 4x4 that you and your dad can mod together and make it your own, not someone else's mistake or POS.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Personally I side with your dad. A bastard modified vehicle will be nothing but a headache when something dies and/or breaks, and it will. Receipts just mean he spent money on it yet it offers no guarantee it was money well spent. I especially hate sbcs stuck in a bastarded Toyota. Pass.

For $4-5K you can get a nice Toyota 4x4 that you and your dad can mod together and make it your own, not someone else's mistake or POS.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. There are a lot more guys willing to try to modify their rigs than there currently are guys that can do a good job at it. Since you are admittedly new to 4x4s you need someone who knows what they are looking at to give you advice. Sounds like you got the best advice from your dad. Listen to him, there will come a time in your life when you realize that he knows more than you ever gave him credit for. At least, that's the way it was with me.

Get something more resembling a stock rig. A 20+ year old vehicle will keep you busy enough as it is. No need buying someone else's nightmare.

Last edited by zlathim; 08-26-2008 at 05:08 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:16 AM

You guys have a point however, It sounds like your opinion is biased against "bastardized" Toyotas. I guess my toyota is a bastard too eh?
When I am able to build a 500hp dry sump yota motor for less than 10k then I will no doubt use it in the other project Im building now. Until then, I will be using a SBC also.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:36 AM

well all the work done to the trck was done in professional shops so i know that doesn't mean its was 100% done right but i dont think it was just thrown together by some guy. that guy that had it before him spent a lot of time and money in this truck with his dad so it may have credible background. not to mention my dad is unsure because he know just about nothing about 4x4s but my uncle is staying with us and is a pretty good mechanic and knows more about 4x4s and he says that it is a nice truck.

Last edited by 4x4 novice; 08-26-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:28 PM

like stated before it all depends on craftsmanship, if it was done right it is a sweet truck, but if done wrong it is a money pit. Take your uncle to look at it or take it to a trusted shop in your area and inspect it thouroughly, i mean check every nut and bolt and weld to look for shotty work and then base your decision on that information. i have seen alot of SBC toys do amazing things andf i have seen some that break nearly in half.

oh and ladder bar is a good idea for sand no matter the HP, and no air beneath the tire does help alot, i know a guy.....
Old 08-26-2008, 12:49 PM

my uncle did go look at it with me and he went through the truck pretty extensively and didn't find anything that was out of the ordinary. only problem is that is about an hour fifteen min drive from where i live. so we can just go lookat it any time.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:56 PM

didnt need this post...

Last edited by 4x4 novice; 08-26-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:37 AM

dont do your a kid and those axles are too weak for that engine and kids like to go full throttle, and who knows you might flip it if you dont know how to drive. i side with your dad.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:32 AM

i just noticed you are from Pasco? so where was this truck Moses Lake? I know there was a toy with a 350 down there that a guy built i used to see at the dunes all the time but his was haggard and he was always drunk when he was out there. I Actually grew up north of spokane and went to WSU, ha small world.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:17 PM

no its in yakima. the guy that owned it before him he and his dad made it a project and had all these plans for it but his dad died so that guy that owns it now bought it off him partly because his friend didn't want to look at it anymore. he rarely drove it and is a pretty straight truck. that never beat the hell out of it wheelin. though he did say thats what a lot of guys built them for in yakima. hopfully i get it soon gonna be some sick ass wheelin in the dunes.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:38 PM

I agree with wabbit and this probably isn't a truck you'd want to drive every day. the novelty will wear off quickly.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:43 AM

if i ended up getting this truck. seems like a lot people break birfs out wheelin. if i got some longfields you think this would help as far as the engine being a little too big for this truck?
Old 08-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4 novice
if i ended up getting this truck. seems like a lot people break birfs out wheelin. if i got some longfields you think this would help as far as the engine being a little too big for this truck?
That will be a good place to START.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:11 AM

i know most of you guys don't think i should buy someone elses truck but for the work already done on this truck is too good of a deal to pass up. im also looking at some chromoly rear axle shafts as well. not gonna put a ton of money into this truck at first wanna get it paid off from my parents first. but definately wanna put some nice upgrades into it.

Quick Reply: can anyone help me out im looking at an 84 toyota PU. need to know if its trouble.