84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

A/C dash switch repurposed

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C dash switch repurposed

so I did some searching and couldn’t seem to gather a straight forward answer to this. Please forgive if I overlooked something.

I just installed a york 210 pump on my 85 4Runner. Made December of 84 if that has any relevance. I want to use the factory a/c dash switch to operate the York pump but I can’t seem to locate all of the pressure and temp switches I will need to bypass to achieve this. This runner is too clean and factory inside to go cutting holes to put in a toggle and a toggle will look out of place.

Can an anyone help me locate the switches in this system so I can bypass them please? I’d like to run the dash switch to a pressure switch and then to a relay to control the pump. The more factory wiring I can use the less wire I have to add to an already puzzling harness.

Any help is appreciated
thank you
Old 01-06-2018, 07:14 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Just add the wire(s) and label them well. Simple, and clean, no confusion for you or any one that gets it down the line

AC switch goes to the ac amplifier iirc, its the AC brain.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Just add the wire(s) and label them well. Simple, and clean, no confusion for you or any one that gets it down the line

AC switch goes to the ac amplifier iirc, its the AC brain.
Yeah you’re probably right. I thought it’d be easy since the feed for the clutch is right there next to my pump but I guess I’ll tear into the dash and splice off the output of the switch. Other cars I’ve played with had the entire set of switches in series and I was hoping this would be the same. Oh well. Thanks for the reply. Now to find the wire buried In the dash haha
Old 01-06-2018, 11:09 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Again I'll suggest you just unplug it and run a new "sub" harness, self contained and easy to remove(move to a new chassis) should the need arise.

What are you using the air compressor for exactly does it need to be in the cabin, put it in the engine bay on a bracket or hang it off the dash support inside the glove box. Like you said it is a clean interior, leave it stock looking/acting.

If you need the idle up to function you can unplug its factory wiring also, look through the Tyco catalog for that connection layout.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Again I'll suggest you just unplug it and run a new "sub" harness, self contained and easy to remove(move to a new chassis) should the need arise.

What are you using the air compressor for exactly does it need to be in the cabin, put it in the engine bay on a bracket or hang it off the dash support inside the glove box. Like you said it is a clean interior, leave it stock looking/acting.

If you need the idle up to function you can unplug its factory wiring also, look through the Tyco catalog for that connection layout.
I just prefer to have controls in the cab. Once I get a little further with the build I’ll add an air tank but for now it’s just for filling tires. I’d like to do air lockers at some point also, as well as an air horn because why not haha. I do need to figure out an idle up solution but I’m leaning more towards a mechanical system that will give me a little more rpm than factory. Aiming for 2000 rpm, eliminates any need for hand throttle in the rocks and gets the most flow out of my york. But that’s a project for another day.