Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Dash away,dash away,dash away all....

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash away,dash away,dash away all....

Talking about '93 4WD truck dash board.
Thanks to the members here I felt I needed to repair my broken parts in the dash. It was time to do it.
Over the years of hunting and dog shows across the nation the truck was rode hard and put away wet.
Too many jumbo sized drinks broke the cup holder. The fan speed switch would not run on the 3rd speed and I really needed a clock in the dash.The stick on ones were more trouble than they were worth.
Following the instructions from members I took apart the dash which is no real deal as long as you remember to warm the plastic parts before removing them in cold weather. Having done so I proceeded to do the one hour job of replacing the parts. Little did I know that Murphy was an Optimist.
The plastic push rivets holding the bottom "change" cubby enclosure shattered as soon as I tried to move the pin.
The fan switch did not want to come out.I'm talking that it would not even wiggle a little. It took a putty knife to wedge the switch free. The switch as many have posted was melted* and the plug was toast as were two of the wires in the plug.
Off to order the new plug and wires was a feat of patience and out right rip-off. It took hours to find the part number on line after finding the melted numbers on the plug was the only way to get the new part. The plug does not come with a pig tail. Each 6" wire is sold individually and cost More than the plug! You have no choice. Buy the new plug and a few wires or drive to the wrecking yard only to find the wiring is all ready gone or is also burned.
The gray plastic push rivets are not cheap either. What a rip.
Parts ordered.
The clock was just a choice of what to pay for it. I got it used for less than 20 bucks.
The wrecking yards did not have any cup holders left in the trucks. I found one in nice shape on ebay.
The truck sat for eight days waiting for the parts to arrive. I gave me a chance to soak the plastic parts in water to revive the dry plastic. ( works very well by the way) and clean out the dog hair in the AC controls. I also removed the speakers and cleaned then as well.
The parts showed up yesterday.Very windy here. But what the heck.
Standing on my head I was able to cut the melted plug apart the remove the wires that did not burn. Only three could be removed by releasing the latch on each pin. Soldering in the new wires was not too bad.I tried the new switch and all speeds work. I slid in the new switch. Cool Beans.
The replacement cup holder was soaked in warm water for an hour and snapped into the holder with no problem.
The blocking plate was cut out and the clock was installed and tested. All good.
I reassembled the dash and as a last step replaced the buttons for the AC control sliders. As soon as I pushed the fan speed switch button on the arm,the switch slid out of its holder! Oh crap!
I had to disassemble the dash a second time. I was not a happy camper.
Standing on my head I looked as to why the switch would not stay in place.
*It turned out that when the switch melted the plastic housing and the "latch" had also melted and warped away from the switch. The latch was 1/8th" too high to hold the switch firmly. The two parts had fused together causing me to use the putty knife to free them.
I had to pry the latch down and heat the back of the latch in order for it to be usable again. What a PITA.
I reinstalled the switch,radio,plastic parts,wiring for the second time.
This time everything seems to be working properly.
Sometimes a simple job goes south real fast. The one hour job took six.
Thanks to all members who helped with tips and instructions on how to do the job. I do appreciate it.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Great to hear things worked out for you. Just a little time to fix some of the issues will make the truck that more enjoyable for you. I have some small jobs turn into big jobs but it is still rewarding when done.