84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85 Extra Cab AC install

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 12:04 PM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by fasterspider
You know what's weird is it actually makes a difference, the temp gauge needle stays lower now without the air on.
i was leaving for a big offroad trip outside of lone pine, up to 10,000ft elevation in places, and i wanted that bottom shroud piece in a hurry, the stealership sold me one with clips for just under $30 i think it was.

my 4runner has body lift, 37" tires, heavy tg front axle housing, sliders, etc., it's well over 4600lbs. loaded even with the top off... it goes down the road like brick, but even crawling offroad with the 4.70 gearset in, the gauge never got close to halfway... i'm sold on that little piece of fan shroud.

I'm going to go change the coolant again and pull the thermostat out for the summer, she runs cold without it even when it is 115° outside.
the gauge may say that it's colder, but the thermostat is designed to restrict water flow, which allows time for more heat transfer.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by osv
the gauge may say that it's colder, but the thermostat is designed to restrict water flow, which allows time for more heat transfer.
I still have the core of the thermostat in place to give proper restriction to flow for heat transfer and now the needle stays where I want it and not where the bad thermostat wanted it to be.
Come winter time I will install a new thermostat like I did last year and the year before.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been following this thread with some interest as my '84 does not have A/C and it is a limiting factor. There are lots of interesting places to go here in SoCal, but it's too hot for me now at a lot of them without A/C. It looks like a real project to get A/C installed and hooked up. Ugh! Glad you stuck with it and gave us an education.

I was thinking about your overheating situation. Given that it took two, new, increasingly larger capacity radiators and extra fans with still maybe unknown results, do you think it could be a temperature sensor problem or the cooling water just not getting to where it's needed? I say the latter because a friend had a situation where a replacement head gasket didn't have the correct hole layout for the water jackets and his car ran hot all the time. Once the problem was understood (lots of other things were tried first) and the gasket replaced, it ran just fine. Could you have a similar situation?
Old 06-28-2016, 08:20 AM

No, things get hot because I have the wrong fan shroud on this larger radiator and it was 113° outside. I drove the truck yesterday in front wheel drive only because I bent the rear driveshaft on Saturday and it was 100°, 70% humidity and heavier than normal traffic and the needle never went above 1/3rd and the engine performance was normal.
What I have come to find was the distributor was in one tooth off and due to that the engine struggled to run which increased engine heat. I fixed the timing issues, changed out the platinum spark plugs for standard spark plugs, adjusted the valves and checked the timing one more time again.
All appears to be working well now when the temperature is no higher than 100° outside and I am not going wheeling when it is that hot, not happening.
For all intents and purposes, the air con is working perfectly in my rig now and I am very happy.
Fell off of a huge rock onto another huge rock, it was glorious.

Last edited by fasterspider; 06-28-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:04 AM

It took me a year plus to get air conditioning in my no AC truck and now, it comes out again and is for sale.
I don't use the truck on the street anymore other than going to wheel and when en route the truck wants to overheat because the condenser is a piece of sh t and blocks flow to the radiator and then the hard line from the air drier to the condenser broke leaking out all of the refrigerant I had spent all that money to have installed.
I'm not dealing with this anymore, it is bullsh t watching the temperature gauge elevate to scary levels so bye bye, sh tty condenser, bye bye brand new compressor and I catch you around like a donut, you whole pita system that didn't really fit my truck Toyota didn't want to have AC to begin with.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:55 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
It took me a year plus to get air conditioning in my no AC truck and now, it comes out again and is for sale.
I don't use the truck on the street anymore other than going to wheel and when en route the truck wants to overheat because the condenser is a piece of sh t and blocks flow to the radiator and then the hard line from the air drier to the condenser broke leaking out all of the refrigerant I had spent all that money to have installed.
I'm not dealing with this anymore, it is bullsh t watching the temperature gauge elevate to scary levels so bye bye, sh tty condenser, bye bye brand new compressor and I catch you around like a donut, you whole pita system that didn't really fit my truck Toyota didn't want to have AC to begin with.
It's too bad you were having problems with the A/C system.

Toyota didn't want to have AC to begin with.
To be fair, you sourced your parts from different generation trucks, so the parts you had were not designed to fit together to begin with.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by old87yota
It's too bad you were having problems with the A/C system.

To be fair, you sourced your parts from different generation trucks, so the parts you had were not designed to fit together to begin with.

Yup, sure did get the parts from 3 different year trucks but, the condenser was from an 85 that should have fit proper but, next time I'll just buy a truck that came with air conditioning from the factory, gonna be a Taco with a 3.4 four cam engine next time and SAS & dual T case it.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thread resurrection. I don’t have the compressor wire either. PLEASE HELP

I have the same issue with my 88 pickup. No compressor wire on the harness. I’ve put hours and dollars into this install and this is the only thing keeping me from having AC right now. What would be the best course of action for wiring in the compressor myself? I have an fsm for my year and it doesn’t have jack for AC wiring.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by LeviKender
I have the same issue with my 88 pickup. No compressor wire on the harness. I’ve put hours and dollars into this install and this is the only thing keeping me from having AC right now. What would be the best course of action for wiring in the compressor myself? I have an fsm for my year and it doesn’t have jack for AC wiring.
I ran a wire from the control panel AC switch to my compressor and that was the first time my AC worked and then it didn't for a few years then I fixed it again last March. Now I have 85 4Runner drier lines in my AC system as well as 3 other year and 2 generations of Hilux AC parts.
The system was cobbled together from junk and works which is all that matters.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:07 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by LeviKender

I did not read this whole thread, so maybe there is information that I am unaware of. I *thought* that all trucks and 4Runners were pre-wired for AC. In my 88 4Runner, the compressor wire I believe is in that harness you show opened up, but it is further back near the passenger front fender and not there near the intake where you have it opened up. In my build thread, post here https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post52447636 I have a picture of the compressor clutch wire, scroll down a few pics in the post I linked.
The following 3 users liked this post by coryc85:
fasterspider (08-31-2020), old87yota (08-31-2020), SomedayJ (08-31-2020)