84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85 4Runner Will Not Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 4Runner Will Not Start

my 85 4runner has sat for a few months, I ran it a couple days then it started being hard to start, then stopped starting. It cranks over and acts like it wants to start the first two tries then quits .. if I shoot some start fluid in the intake it will fire just a little bit.

I opened the cold start injector, there was pressure in the line and when I cranked the engine fuel shot out ...

I am kind of at a loss at what to look at next ? I plan to change the fuel filter today and see if its a supply issue ? I tried checking the codes but my check engine light does not come on at all. I am not sure if it ever did.

motor is stock 22re
Old 11-07-2017, 03:20 PM

spent a little time with the 4runner ..

new filter .... was not the issue .. I pulled the cold idle injector again turned the key ... When I cracked the banjo there seemed to be a good amount of pressure. I pulled the line clear and turn the key fuel came out but not a huge amount like under a lot of pressure it just kind of flowed out ? I would have expected a 15 stream to shoot out in stead of just a kind of bubbling out flow the but I did have pressure in the line so it does build pressure ? my thought is the pump is bad and it builds some pressure but not enough ? IDK what is normal ?

I did a compression check 1 . 140. 2. 138 3. 135 4. 100/99 #4 was considerable lower I checked it again chased the plug hole and made certain I was getting a good pressure reading same results of 100.

even with a 100 I would expect the motor to run with a bad cylinder ? Now well but it should run.

I am at a loss to figure this out.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:19 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
If you keep cranking (ignition key in start position) does it sound like you have combustion (the VROOM = there are spark, fuel, air)?
1) When you release ignition key do you hear the Circuit Opening Relay (COR) click behind the glove compartment followed by engine stalling?
2) Try jumping the two pins on this connector. Does engine keep on running now?
If answers to (1) and (2) are YES, suspect C.O.R. system. This is how C.O.R. system works:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199.../#post51939375
Old 11-07-2017, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the reply, I will look at the items you mention tomorrow morning. when I first try to start it it acts like it wants to run, it fires over there is combustion it will run for a second or two. There is no response to the pedal no increase ect.

I am kind of hoping its fuel pressure, I am going to try and rent a fuel pressure gauge from the auto parts store. When I took the hose off the cold start injector and cranked the engine fuel came out but did not come out as if it was under high pressure. there is pressure in the line I could tell when I opened the line. I am not sure what it should look like or what the correct flow would be at the cold start hose. hopefully its something simple like a fuel pump.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:50 AM

Received 832 Likes on 557 Posts
Disregard the compression test data. Mine reads about the same @110 on the 4rth, and runs beautifully. That lower cyl pressure is likely the rings going or incorrect valve adjustment but won't make it NOT run... Unless you have a head gasket problem. How does the #4 plug look? Is the coolant low? Any indication it was consuming coolant? You can pressurize the cyl with compressed air and look for bubbles in the radiator.

Cold start injector only squirts when cranking and then only about a teaspoon of fuel. You can mount it around backwards on the banjo fitting and direct the flow into a soda bottle to observe operation. Disable the ignition first.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:41 PM

thought I would try here again, last week I replaced my AFM after doing the fuel jumper test. After replacing the AFM it started and ran immediately. I ran it a few times then it sat a few days next time I went to start it it will not start again. There is fuel and fuel pressure, I check the fuses all seem good .. I cleaned the grounds at the drivers finder and inside at the drivers pedal. Pulled the cold start switch and tested it .. it tested good, I pulled the cold start injector -- it had a lot of carbon I cleaned and re installed. None of this made any difference ...

I also still do not have a working check engine light .. I pulled the dash and checked the bulbs ..I put a working bulb at the check engine light and still no difference .. when I jumper the diagnostic port to read the codes not check engine light ...

I am at a loss to figure this out. has a new fuel pump also...

when I turn the key it starts for a moment then dies , there is no response to the pedal. I then have to wait a few minutes before starting again. if I try immediately it will not fire over at all. I tried using starter fluid to see if it was a fuel issue but not change.

What else can I check ?
Old 11-23-2017, 05:33 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
There are 3 major ground in the engine compartment. Battery to firewall, passenger side of engine usually on the EFI support, back of valve cover drivers side. Have you pulled the plugs and looked at them. Are any different colors? Ie dark, wet, dry, gray, silver, brown. Have you checked the distributor and plugs? Fuel filter? Tested the ignition? Tested to see if you “new” AFM is stilll working? Anything else not work in the truck?

My 85 has a few different shorts in the fuel injection that would cause intermittent problems. Fixed those and it runs fine.