84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85 4runner is turning into a moneypit

Old 03-11-2015, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 4runner is turning into a moneypit

Hello everyone. I need some advice with my 4runner. She is set up pretty good, 4 inch lift, front winch bumper with an 8000lb smitty built, rear bumper and rockerpanel guards all aftermarket. New 33 inch bf goodrich km2. 188k miles

I'm very attached to her. But she is becoming a money pit. Recently new fuel pump, new alternater, rebuilt starter, new belts, fresh tune up, new lce aftermarket headers, new rear end and new brakes. I am not much of a mechanic and have payed for all of the above.

She needs a new timing chain, new driveshafts, steering needs to be fixed, not all of the electrical is working such as high beems and emergency flashers. which means a new circuit board or panel I've been told. I would have to pay for most or all of the new work.

What do you guys think? keep her or sell her?
Old 03-11-2015, 02:35 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Man that sucks!!! But I feel your pain. To help you out I'll take her. Just givr her to me and your problems will be solved.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:38 PM

that'll be the day
Old 03-11-2015, 02:55 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Not to be smart but this can be quite expensive when your paying labor.

Myself That time could be in months or a few years I sell all of them buy brand new.

This is a call you need to make knowing your going to be losing money to sell it now needing a timing chain.

It sounds so bad from your description It is unable to be driven in it`s present condition.

How much do you have in now??

Is it worth it to you to put another few thousand $$$ into it.

I think we all have at least one money pit or in my case several.

Then maybe you have a 6 figure income.

What other options do you have??

I think you need to find some friends to help you do the work.

Also it sounds like perhaps your being taken advantage of by your lack of mechanical aptitude at this time.

No circuit board in the emergency flashers

You might need some u joints unless your driveshafts are completely destroyed Unless they are needed for your lift and should have been done then
Old 03-11-2015, 03:11 PM

i can drive her right now. She just has a poor idle and gas mileage has gone down to 14mpg. My mechanic asked how long I could here the timing chain and I told him at least a couple years. She kept running fine so I didn't fix anything. He was surprised it hadn't broke yet. And it may break very soon or and wear through the casing.

i have over 3k if you include the new tires into it already.

I guess my options would be spend another 2k to get her running good again or sell it for 3k ish and put it towards another vehicle.

Its tough i have a nice lifted offroad rig and she doesn't have the power to go up a hill on a simple dirt road.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by 854runnerhunter
Hello everyone. I need some advice with my 4runner. She is set up pretty good, 4 inch lift, front winch bumper with an 8000lb smitty built, rear bumper and rockerpanel guards all aftermarket. New 33 inch bf goodrich km2. 188k miles

I'm very attached to her. But she is becoming a money pit. Recently new fuel pump, new alternater, rebuilt starter, new belts, fresh tune up, new lce aftermarket headers, new rear end and new brakes. I am not much of a mechanic and have payed for all of the above.

She needs a new timing chain, new driveshafts, steering needs to be fixed, not all of the electrical is working such as high beems and emergency flashers. which means a new circuit board or panel I've been told. I would have to pay for most or all of the new work.

What do you guys think? keep her or sell her?

I would compare to what it would cost to own any other vehicle you plan to buy. I'd add up what you have spent and what you need to spend and cost it out over 3 or 4 years. ( Total expenses divided by 36/48 months = monthly cost to own) That is your cost of ownership. I find the stock 85 4runner I have cost me about 98 per month to own. If I buy a new 22RE performance 2.5 motor with duel timing chain plus labor to install that cost goes up to 180.00 per month over 3 years. My budget for operating a vehicle is 225-240 a month so I am coming out ahead.

It may seem like a lot of money to put out but averaging it over the time you get use of it may prove less then you think.. Especially compared to another vehicle you might have to buy.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:02 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Have you pulled the valve cover off to see if the timing chain guide on the drivers side is broken. You should be able to see it with a flashlight fairly easily. You could just be hearing a loose valve or lifter and your local shop told you it was a timing chain because that a $1000 job. Haven't heard of many broken guides going 2+ years without breaking the cover. Unless she only gets driven 1-2 times per month.

Where do you live. See if you can find a local Toyota gear head to help you diagnose the problem. Also it might be cheaper to buy a running used motor and just swap the blocks. That's usually under a day if you know what your doing at all. Most Toyota gear heads can do that job.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:22 PM

She gets drivin near a couple hundred miles a month except during deer season. I'm not a road hunter just hunt the hard to reach areas.

Over the 4yrs i've had her I've spent a little more than 3000. That comes to near $73 a month so I guess she has been pretty reliable. Thank you for your info.

i live in the Sacramento area, hopefully not for too long, the mtns are calling my name.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:59 PM

You should check out the regional forums. Norcal? Or socal? You should be able to find one of us down there to lend some experience.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
If you are having the work done it is going to cost you way more then what you could buy a depndable truck for. Several of the fixes I see needing done such as headlight switch is a freebie fix and easy. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51724567

If you can get involved with some guys that enjoy working on these it can be a cheap build. If you have to have it done, I would suggest selling it. Paying a mechanic is going to cost a fortune. Then adding up to what condition you want to get her into like tip top shape you could easily have several times more into it then what you have already. A basic tool set, a Haynes Manual, and Yotatech can cut the cost way down. It is going to depend on if you want to do the work yourself.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:27 AM

Basically if u love your truck you should learn to work on it otherwise your going to start hating it because of the money u spend at a shop to keep it up. My engine has 247k on it and still runs strong it definitely needs a valve job but think about how many more miles you can get out of it with a new timing chain and a good cleaning
Old 03-12-2015, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I meant to mention it earlier, your drive shaft is probably good. I do most work myself but changing U-joint is something I can do but wont do. I buy a good quality set of U-joints and take the drive shaft to a local mechanic and let him press them in and out for me. Usually charges me $15. If not seated right can cause issues and for $15 well worth the cost.

Emergency flashers in my experience is just a loose or bad relay in the kick panel. Is your drivers side kick panel cover missing as in alot of the cases.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:54 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
The 85 is the best first-gen runner. You just need to have someone you can trust help you with engine work.

Electrical is easy to fix IF you have someone guiding you and you have a multi-meter and soldering/crimping/wiring supplies.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:18 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
A big downside of paying a shop to do the work is that lots of them have business accounts at places like advance, autozone, and such. So they get a big discount on parts that they mark up for you and most replacement parts from these places are nowhere near the toyota OEM quality. And you don't get the lifetime warranty so when it fails your paying the same guy again. I'm on my 4th alt (grant it's a GM) but that many in the total of 2.5yrs since I converted it, yeah I know need to pony up and get a good quality HO CS130 alt.

But the point is that the installer with a business account at these stores gets the parts for less than you'd pay they mark it up and charge you labor. I worked in a garage that hated installing customer parts cause it really cut into their profits.

Like mentioned above with a few tools, a haynes manual, FSM (you can download for free), google/youtube, and a basic ability to read/search and you can really cut repair cost. Besides you have the year most sought after. You'll kick yourself if you dump it.

But seriously back to my original response. Just forget about it and cut your loses. Shipping to me is roughly $800 so I'll kick out a couple c-notes to you. All you have to do is leave the keys where the transporter can get them and spend the money
Old 03-14-2015, 05:35 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Installing new parts they are always billed at list price

I would be rich if I had a Dollar every time someone showed up wanting used parts installed that were not for the vehicle in question not even close

But a downside is failed parts under warranty are replaced but the shop most times eats the labor.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by 854runnerhunter

Over the 4yrs i've had her I've spent a little more than 3000. That comes to near $73 a month so I guess she has been pretty reliable. Thank you for your info.

Yea see what a bargain You can spend quite a bit , keep her ahead of the curve, upgrade stuff , and still stay with a comfortable budget!

Old 03-31-2015, 07:36 PM

i know all about money pits lol. i did a body swap and rebuilt the 22re in my 85. 1 year later my rings detonated. i then installed a 97 3.4 v6. its worth it. the 85 is the best thing out there. im keeping mine tell im dead.

Last edited by Humboldt Wheeler; 03-31-2015 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:31 AM

Yea I strongly advise keeping your 85 till you die. They are getting dry had to find in good shape.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are people on here with $10k in their first gen 4runners. If you like carbs you search for an 84, if you like efi you search for an 85. All following year models up to 95 basically try to upgrade to having 84-85 qualities. Solid ax... Blah blah. The Toyota gods are frowning upon you friend. You can't just sell an 85 runner. Unless it's to me.

Buy a junkyard 22re from a 2wd and swap it in. You can probably get one for less than $1000.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:35 PM

You have to make your own choices.No vehicle drives for free.You can buy a $35,000 vehicle,pay interest,insurance,plates,and a truck payment every month.
In time,it will be an older truck.
You can spend $6000 or $7000 dollars,still have high $ plates,insurance,and a payment.Only it will nickel/dime you.It may need a timing belt or chain.
Or you can have what you have.No payment.Old,basic iron,low tech.Pretty basic and easy to work on.
Only paying near $100 an hour labor ruins the equation.
I do not suggest you start with the timing chain,
But score or download the FSM.Book one.Chilton/Hains are better than nothing,but I recommend the FSM.
Your truck doesn't need a lot of tools.A HF floor jack and jackstands,and some decent wrenches and socket set.Blackhawk,Proto,etc are good.
Then a cookie jar.What? Yeah.Nothing is free.Pay your truck about $125 a month.Put it in the cookie jar,and do all of the work you can figure out with the FSM.A test light and a radio shack VOM will work you through a troubleshooting chart.A cooking thermometer is good.An oil drain pan.A grease gun.Buy as you need.
Why pay $100 an hour to avoid learning something?
OPen your FSM,use the diagnostic procedures and troubleshooting charts.Step by step,in order.Once you have an idea what to fix,lokk through the step by step of repair.Figure out every tool,part,lube,cotter pin you will need.Round them up.If you must shade tree outside,lay downsomething, tarp,or plywood,cardboard...something so when you drop things you don't comb grass looking for it.Work clean,and put space shuttle quality in your work.It wilmake you a whole new person,because you won't be ,forgive me,helpless.Good luck!

If you handle the light work,you will have more to pay for the bigger job.
Every time you fix something right,you will gain experience and confidence.

Last edited by NBRanger; 04-16-2015 at 09:48 PM.