84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85 4runner leaking water into the cab, i'm puzzled

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 4runner leaking water into the cab, i'm puzzled

the floor pans on both the driver and pass side are soaking wet, just about a puddle of sitting water there! carpet is soaked. i have no clue where the water is coming from!

the seals around the windshield look all cracked/missing/and just bad, could that be it? i just don't get how water is getting in there.... flowing in behind the dash, etc? could that soak and short out the electronics?

could it be getting in from under the hood somehow? like if the hood seal leaked?

if i park it outside over night and its raining i'm screwed, need golashes to get in.

should i pay to get the windshield re sealed??
Old 09-18-2007, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It couldn't hurt, and you could prevent a serious short if that is the case. Just get some silicone and seal it yourself.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:51 AM

ya, did the silicone thing and still leaking!
Old 09-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Probably time for a new windshield seal.. Need to fix it so you don't short out your fuses...I had a new seal and windshield for $150 done at http://www.msglass.net/ They have one up in King County-which I thing from what I remember is Seattle...
Old 09-18-2007, 08:54 AM

hahaha.... that place is like a 10min walking distance from my house!
made an apt for sat. 9am. not really what i wanted to spend $155 on (need shocks, etc.) but i guess i gotta get it done before winter rains come. hope that fixes it...not sure why else i'd be getting water inside thought, right??
Old 09-18-2007, 09:04 AM

check your sunroof(if applicable), door seals, front outside louver vent(where fresh air enters),make sure that is draining properly. Do u run AC? might have a backed up drain under the dash. when u have the windshield out make sure to check and fix any rust if the guy doing it gives u time too.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:36 AM

no time to check/fix rust. hope he doesn't f up my new paint replacing the seal.

i have ac but its missing the belt, i never run it. bought it like that. don't run it. so doubt thats the case but thanks, never would have thought of it.

no sunroof. i wish.

door seals cold leak????? you mean door or door window? trying to fix this and not throw money at it. so if i can save the $155 on the windshield seal tha be nice. they said it will take 1.5 hours. i'm sure that seal is $50 give or take.... i feel ripped off allready.

other then looking into the fresh air vent from the top, any other way to check it?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:44 AM

150 just to install a seal? I paid like 160 for a brand new windshield installed. THey just use a tube of special silicone as a seal. ive had no problems with my windshield for over a year. door seals can leak. I would really check that outside vent(between windshield and hood), just take the hose and pour water down it and make sure it drains out the bottom of your runner and not into your cab.

Last edited by deserttoy84; 09-18-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by deserttoy84
150 just to install a seal? I paid like 160 for a brand new windshield installed. THey just use a tube of special silicone as a seal. ive had no problems with my windshield for over a year. door seals can leak. I would really check that outside vent(between windshield and hood), just take the hose and pour water down it and make sure it drains out the bottom of your runner and not into your cab.
hmmmm, no not for just seal:
Originally Posted by ocdropzone
..I had a new seal and windshield for $150 done at http://www.msglass.net/ They have one up in King County-which I thing from what I remember is Seattle...
When the air box drain on my old 86 4Runner got plugged it would only drain into the passenger side...
Old 09-18-2007, 10:27 AM

ugh, i'll make sure they know its just the seal on saturday when i go in, i don't need a new windshield. i'll check the drain from the vent. it use to be just the pass side and this morn it was the driver too! my gf's little designer purse got soaked this wknd, she was not happy.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Mine ran about $100 to reseal about 5-6 years ago. Held up for about a year then started leaking again. The glass wants to pull away from the window channel when the body/frame flexes off-road. I fixed mine myself and so far has held up for many years:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...rim/index.html
Old 09-18-2007, 11:53 AM

4crawler, would that be my prob? the water collecting on the front floor pans from windshield leaking?
Old 09-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by michalik_piotr
4crawler, would that be my prob? the water collecting on the front floor pans from windshield leaking?
It was in my case, YMMV. Other common source of leaks is the fender/cab seam inside the front cowl area. Have someone outside with a hose while you look inside for the leak. Or for the seal, pull the trim and look for air pockets around the seal area. On mine, the good seal was a dark color and there you could easily see lighter spots in that area where the glass and polyurethane sealant had separated.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it only leaking during rainstorms? The heater core is right behind the ashtray/radio console and will leak water onto the floorboards during use.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:31 AM

if it was heater core, wouldn't that be antifreeze?
i smeared more silicone on the windshield seal and waiting for rain.
i'll check the vents and the seam b/t the fenders and cab today.
(i have limited time and daylight now).
Old 09-19-2007, 07:42 AM

I used to get water on the floor boards from rust holes in the firewall coming from the driver/passenger fender wells. I also had holes behind my seat in the bottom corners of the cab. The carpet wouldn't get wet from just sitting in a rain storm but from wheeling in water or driving in the rain.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:21 AM

well, i smeared another half a tube of silicone on the windshield seal and will call off my apt for the seal replacement till it rains again and i got water inside. the vents seem to drain ok and i don't see how a seam b/t fender and hood would leak. we'll see. keep you posted. at this point i'm thinking it has to be the windshield seal...so we'll see if i sealed it or not.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:24 PM

OK - don't mean to hi-jack your thread (I think that is the terminology?)
I am having the same problem. So I pulled my carpets and dried everything out with an industrial fan. My windsheild trim is pulled away in the lower drivers corner and when I poured water there, it draining into the driver side of the cab basically behind the fuse box. So - obviously I need the windsheild re-sealed. I also poured water down the louver fresh air intake between the windsheild and the hood - and it also drained into the cab - any suggestions on how to remedy this?
Thanks
Old 10-05-2007, 08:53 AM

I was having same problem.

The end of the cab just under the wiper pivots and around the heater blower inlet was rusted real bad in mine, and also where the wiring looms goes thru the cab, behind the front fenders.
i needed to remove all the metal here and rebuild the box under the wiper pivots. It was a HUGE job since i needed to cut a lot of metal to reach there, big big surgery.

The windshield lip was also rusted real bad so i replaced most of it with new metal.
No more water in there now.

I will post pictures of this rebuild in another thread soon.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:48 PM

i guess i should make that apt again.......floor pans wet again and my passanger got dripped on sunday driveing during the rain. she was not happy.

Quick Reply: 85 4runner leaking water into the cab, i'm puzzled