Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Weber 32/36 is almost done. Just a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weber 32/36 is almost done. Just a few questions.

I got most of my weber installed today. Wanted to have it done, but between getting off work at 6am and having to be back at 5pm I had to throw some sleep in there. lol.

I have a few questions about items that are left that im not sure if i need and if I do where to reroute them. I have removed the brass tubing that ran down the side of the intake manifold that most of your vacuum lines run to.

This is a plug on top of the valve that is right next to the egr tube. Then the factory egr vac lines run to it. Do I need this? If so what does it hook to? If not, do i just remove it or cap the lines?

This is the factory egr stuff. You can see I have removed the pipe for the install of the weber egr plate. Do i need to hook all the vacuum lines to this an cap that hole somehow? I know i can make a plate and remove all of this but i wont have a chance to do that for a week or two.

This is the front fuel canister. Do I need to keep this for anything? Do I just remove it and cap the large hose underneath that runs back into the intake on the bottom?

This comes straight out of the passenger side of the intake below the carb. Do I just cap this?

This is that clust of crap right behind the battery that at the base is the 4 or 5 wire vacuum hose that ran to the brass tubing right at the front charcoal canister. What should I do with this?

This plug is right next to the new egr valve. Do I just cap this?

This is right in front of the fuel pump. Agian do i just cap this?

Thanks I know this is a bunch, and probably kinda simple stuff. I just want to make sure I do all this correctly, and there arent very many in depth posts on all the desmogging of these.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:00 PM

Ok... No comments really guys..

Oh well I ended up finding a plate at work that will work to block the egr into the back of the block. So thats takin care of, with that i guess the rest of the egr related stuff can come off as well. Any help on the others would be great.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:15 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
cap all of it, or take it out and use a threaded plug for them, they are all not needed now.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:22 PM

Sweet i was thinking it would be that easy, but thats why i was second guessing myself. What does the big hose that runs from the front charcoal canister up under the intake run to? Can you post some pictures of your finalized product. Oh and what about that first pic, the plug ontop of the valve?

Did you have the dual spacer did it give you any problems?

Can I use a thick peice of sheet metal to block that port off on the back of the block or does it need to be steel, and does it need a gasket or will it be fine?
Old 09-04-2010, 06:30 PM

lol you don't wanna see mine believe me. it's not pretty but it works. my guess is that hose you are taking about runs to the gas tank i believe.

I have yet to have any problems with that dual spacer, although I have heard some people have.

the egr would have a gasket if it comes out in one piece i would just use that, remember the egr is an exhaust port so it will be hot as hell so using something like rtv probably is not a good idea. I would just leave the EGR valve there, no need to cap off the open end as long as you have disconnected the vac source to it.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:35 PM

Even with that huge hole in it you dont think that would cause any issues. You know where you pulled the pipe out so you could add the weber in it. Thats a big hole and it would be open in to the block wouldnt it?
Old 09-04-2010, 06:38 PM

if it were open then you'd be hearing a major exhaust leak in the engine bay. Should not be anything open there unless your EGR is stuck open.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:38 PM

Thats the intake side on mine. Look at pic 2 see the hole, when you remove that egr can it leaves a hole staight back from the intake on the block. I would think that sheet metal would work to cover it.

What are you talking about on your exhaust side? Didnt see anything on that side.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:41 PM

did you take the egr valve off or did you leave it? I would just leave it there. EGR is for the exhaust. yes it's on the intake side but that hole is exhaust.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:43 PM

its still there right now. I just removed the pipe like we talked this afternoon. What did you do to cap that hole where the pipe went?
Old 09-04-2010, 06:45 PM

oh wait you said you took the egr off didnt you. I will probably try taking it off and using that peice of sheet metal and the original gasket and just see what happens. as for everything else just unplug or cap right?

The lines from the canisters running back to the tank what did you do with yours?
Old 09-04-2010, 06:45 PM

I didn't. no need to unless the egr valve itself leaks or is stuck open. just make sure you have it's vacuum source disconnected.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:47 PM

I haven't removed anything, it all still sits in the engine bay, just a bunch of vacuum hoses looped instead of capped etc etc. some hoses I capped with screws etc etc. lol.

I did not remove my egr valve and I did not cap the open pipe end
Old 09-04-2010, 06:49 PM

lol. I cant do that. I will see in the morning about leaving the egr there. The rest of that junk has got to go. Looks like hell in there with all that crap.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:51 PM

put it this way, anything that was hosed to that steel vacuum line contraption thing can go out the window. nothing on it is needed now. including that vacuum rail contraption.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:53 PM

Yea I took all that out today. Do you need any of that vacuum crap cluttered up behind the battery. I noticed that 4by vac line ran to that rail.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:55 PM

nope.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:58 PM

sweet. then hopefully when i get off in the morning i can finish all this up and see how she runs!! Thanks agian for all your help. Between you knowing all this and all the photos and questions ive asked we could put one heck of a install thread together. lol.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:00 PM

i have photos of my install and stuff for a guide, I just been too lazy to put it together lol.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:59 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
i have photos of my install and stuff for a guide, I just been too lazy to put it together lol.
I'd like to see that! Maybe in your build-up thread??? Someday, I'd like to to get a Weber in mine...

Quick Reply: Weber 32/36 is almost done. Just a few questions.