Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Today is a sad day.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 04:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by first gen. yota
does any one know how much a cab would cost at a pick a part or something.
when i wrecked my truck i paid $150 for my new cab, (got the complete interior, all glass, door) pulled it myself and got half the damn truck with it to

i know both of the bigger local pick n pull yard around here are looking for $100 for a BARE cab

good luck on the rebuild! they are fun, i'm still working on mine
Old 01-03-2008, 02:44 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Are your floor panels rust free and in good shape? You can probably sell those if they are in decent shape...

After seeing these pictures, I think I may be waiting to put my dual cases in and use the driveshaft money for a full cage....

Last edited by dropzone; 01-03-2008 at 02:46 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Are your floor panels rust free and in good shape? You can probably sell those if they are in decent shape...

After seeing these pictures, I think I may be waiting to put my dual cases in and use the driveshaft money for a full cage....
defiantly makes me want to put a cage in mine, I've seen to many pics of rolled toys to cheap out and not put a cage in
Old 01-03-2008, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry Isaac338 I'm Know I suck at spelling. Does anyone know if I keep the truck after I get the insurance money. I may just sell the truck to someone who wants to make a crawler. If I do I’ll get another one some day. Right now I think I'm going to get an '86 4 runner, I like the lift off shell and roll bar. I also want to be able to drive friends around. I really want to stick with Toyota. All the parts on my truck are pretty good accept the cab and bed. engine needs new carb. running really rich (4. something on Co level) should be 1.6. I was going to Buy one but I crashed my truck. The gears are 4:30s as you all prolly know. the exhaust manifold could use some replacing. It is a replacement and it has an o2 censor that doesn't do any thing but leak air cause the nuts are stripped. floor boards are fine I believe.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:38 PM

this is what i would like to do.

Today is a sad day.-crawler.jpg
Old 01-03-2008, 02:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by first gen. yota
thanks whitey 13 for posting the pics. and thank you 04 rocko taco for doin the same. before i roled it i was planning to make a crawler. I just don't know if i'm going to have the money to fix this guy up. I need to get a new car and i'm not sure how much the guys insurance is going to give me (thanks seairescue for the link i need to proove how much my truck is worth. but there's no way i could get to north carolina.) i could wait a year till i finish boot camp and have some money and get started. dono how good that would be for my truck though. then again i could make alot of people happy by parting it out. any one need a back window its fine, just needs a new latch.
depending on what the insurance company does, I would call it a loss and let someone else try and rebuild that thing, I am 100% sure that they are going to total it, and unless the insurance company lets you buy it back for less than $200-$300, I wouldn't bother, and even then I would only part it out, if they want more than that for you to buy it back, it wouldn't be worth it,

As for the "learning aspect" of rebuilding it, yes you would learn a great deal about your truck, but when is the next time you are going to have to do a cab swap? Are you really going to be standing there saying: "good thing I did that cab swap years ago because now I remember everything about how to do it"? Unless they make a sport out of rolling trucks, highly unlikely. And like you said, you would have to wait until you get back from boot camp (you said a year or so), that is a long time for a vehicle to be sitting, even covered, you are going to have to deal with all the critters that move in, and then all the little gremlins that are going to keep it from running right, I know that these things can be avoided by having someone "care and feed" it while you are gone and by storing it inside, but still something to think about,

I would say take the money, and only buy it back cheap to part it out (or save the front axle for a future sas in a newer rig) then when you get back home (or where ever you get stationed) you've got more money to get another truck that will be in one piece and can get you around, and then you can "learn" by modifying that one, instead of playing All the King's horses and all the King's Men trying to put humpty dumpty back together again,

just my 0.02
Old 01-04-2008, 06:15 PM

Thanks b.miller123 yea i think I'm starting to think it would be better for the truck and me for them to just take it. And i won't be leaving for boot camp until next dec. or somewere around there so i'd be looking over it for a while. But yea im gona get rid of him. I really want an older 4runner. I'm trying to find one for somewhat cheap around home.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:50 PM

Unhappy Ouch, sorry about the truck.

Here in British Columbia first gen pickups are free, 2nd gen pickups 2wd are free, and 4wd $500-$1000, but most have completely rusted out boxes and frames. First gen didn't seem to rust away nearly as bad as Second Gen. Most rust so bad that they become un-jackable.

Hope yer Ok, and thanks for the help.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by OldManYota
Here in British Columbia first gen pickups are free, 2nd gen pickups 2wd are free, and 4wd $500-$1000, but most have completely rusted out boxes and frames. First gen didn't seem to rust away nearly as bad as Second Gen. Most rust so bad that they become un-jackable.

Hope yer Ok, and thanks for the help.
Interesting OM... around here nothing is free [lol] the first gens are completely rotted [usually] particularly the boxes and back/floor of the cab, the 2 gens mainly rot out the box and sometimes the front floor/back of the wheel well but are otherwise ok... a good 2gen pick-up/runner can usually bring 2-3000 easily.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New hood- 100$
New fender- 50$
Sawzall- 50$
Gallon Of Bondo- 25$

Havin a badass CONVERTIBLE Toyota 4X4, Priceless, I wish my scanner worked, my bro had a 82' Toy, and it had an interior roll cage and was all rusted out, he bought it for 800$ bondo'd it up, cut the roof off, rattle canned it yellow, made the roof de-tachable like a 4Runner top, & made a 3" body lift and got some used 33's and wheeled the out of it, I'm sure you could do something like he did If you wanted to keep your truck. If you really want some pics I could scan them at the library.. Wouldn't want a good truck to go to waste.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:17 PM

man that totaly sux what happned to you and your truck. id keep it and do the above, for sure.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you get rid of it, how much you want for it? i love fixing up stuff like that fixed up mne now you cant tell it was rollecd. if you decide to rebuild it let me know
Old 01-26-2008, 11:37 AM

yea, guys sill waighting on the guys insurance to give me my money. then i'll get a new car. and maybe make this just an off road truck. I sill don't know. i have to see if they're going to take it. cause I don't think i want to buy it back if they do.