Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Opinions on Weber conversion for a 1983 22R

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 04:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 95yoda
I drove my old 95 22re pickup across country 3 times and once I had a Honda xr650L and a bunch of other stuff in the bed and had to drop to 2nd going up the 70 near the middle and top by Eisenhower tunnel.

Originally Posted by rickc5
Thanks for all the "tuning" info guys. Given my experience with 3 Fiat 850s (1 with a race engine) and all my tinkering with Holley 4-barrel carbs back in the day (before the Fiats), I think I'll be fine--maybe with a little help from LCE.

Since our '83 was originally sold in California, it doesn't have that extra altitude compensating device (with 10 more feet of vacuum line). Could be a partial reason I'm having difficulties with that Aisin carb (?), since we live at nearly 5000 ft.

We lived in Boulder County (CO) for 15 years, and bought a brand new 1986 SR5 4x4 truck when we first moved there. While I don't remember whether it had a carb or EFI, I really remember how slow it was climbing up I-70 into the mountains. Lots of staying in 3rd gear for miles and miles.
I've had similar experiences going through the Eisenhower tunnel and a couple other places.

You could add the altitude compensating device and see if it helps.

Did you race an 50?
Old 01-31-2018, 04:44 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
I've had similar experiences going through the Eisenhower tunnel and a couple other places.

You could add the altitude compensating device and see if it helps.

Did you race an 850?
We had 2 850 Spyders, a '69 and a '67 "slopenose" and a '70 sedan. Not all at the same time. I picked up this race engine for almost nothing (like $200) and put it in the sedan, as the sedan was totally underpowered (one barrel carb). It ran great with the race engine, but that engine needed constant tinkering to keep it going. I'm sure you know that those 850 engines were considered "high performance" engines, as they put out over 1 horsepower per cubic inch, which--back in the day--was always considered to be high performance. Did do some auto-crossing, but didn't actually race any of the 850s, but was pit crew for a buddy that did. He "competed" in SCCA against Midgets and Sprites--most unfair--and his 850 usually broke before the race was over. My wife was his timer, and we knew trouble was coming when his lap times kept getting longer & longer. Funny stuff.

Heck, I can't even find an early Toyota truck to scrounge parts off in our local junkyards. Just none around these parts. Millions of US pickups though. I might find an altitude compensator on eBay, but I'm just gonna get the Weber.

Even the V6 in our new '89 truck was underpowered in the mountains, but not as bad as the 22Rs. Then I picked up an '88 Celica All-Trac Turbo and that thing just screamed up the mountains.