Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

My 81 pickup

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol im starting to feel a little bad about what i payed now...

i picked them up for 500 each.

Edit: Bob Barker would be ashamed of you two
Old 01-12-2011, 07:05 PM

I've never been any good at that game show lol.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by BoredOutnJackdUp
I've never been any good at that game show lol.
Haha me either. and i always came on when i was sick

Think i overpayed on the gears a tad?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
HELLLLL NAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i said $500 though, and you said i was "close"...lmao
Old 01-12-2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
HELLLLL NAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i said $500 though, and you said i was "close"...lmao
Hahah you guys had me worried! i thought you were guessing price for the set! lol

I take back what i said about bob barker. Maybe you should audition for the show?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
oh well uhhh...i didnt see the "each" part...

$1000 for gears and no lockers isn't that great..
Old 01-12-2011, 07:46 PM

That's probably a little more than if you did that stuff yourself. and had them professionally installed.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:44 PM

That's probably a little more than if you did that stuff yourself. and had them professionally installed.
can you rephrase that for me lol

and i guess my thoughts on the whole thing is that is i dont want a locker yet as this is my daily driver. and i didnt want to have my truck in pieces for an extended amount of time while i taught myself to put thirds together for that same reason.

additionally low range off road and trail gear wanted a grand for a single complete third with a detroit. and all the local shops that would install gears quoted me a grand per axle.

I took this deal because i will be able to run bigger more aggressive tires and that will help alot on the off road portion while not sacrificing hardly any on road habits. Also when the time comes that i buy a car and this can be made more into an offroad only rig it shouldnt be hard for me to put a locker in these thirds as i will have the time and another vehicle to drive during the process.

hope this makes sense and i dont sound like a tool. lol it seemed like a pretty good deal to me.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by JagerFiend
can you rephrase that for me lol

and i guess my thoughts on the whole thing is that is i dont want a locker yet as this is my daily driver. and i didnt want to have my truck in pieces for an extended amount of time while i taught myself to put thirds together for that same reason.

additionally low range off road and trail gear wanted a grand for a single complete third with a detroit. and all the local shops that would install gears quoted me a grand per axle.

I took this deal because i will be able to run bigger more aggressive tires and that will help alot on the off road portion while not sacrificing hardly any on road habits. Also when the time comes that i buy a car and this can be made more into an offroad only rig it shouldnt be hard for me to put a locker in these thirds as i will have the time and another vehicle to drive during the process.

hope this makes sense and i dont sound like a tool. lol it seemed like a pretty good deal to me.
TG and the other guys might sell their 5.29/detroit thirds for a grand, but you gotta remember that to go buy a detroit yourself you're gonna be looking at ~$500 just for the locker....
Old 01-16-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by wentz912
TG and the other guys might sell their 5.29/detroit thirds for a grand, but you gotta remember that to go buy a detroit yourself you're gonna be looking at ~$500 just for the locker....
Yeah i understand that. and trust me i am kicking myself a bit for the price. However when i get lockers im more likely than not going to put a spool in. and at that point i will have the time to have my truck apart for more than a day at a time.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:31 PM

Couple more questions.

Thinking about buying a few more parts when the next paycheck comes in.

Do i need a ubolt flip on the front axle to run rears up front?

and

is there any threads on installing an ifs steering box? Does it just link right up to the stock column? Or what?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:34 PM

no you don't need a u bolt flip for a RUF but it makes it a hell of a lot easier.
yes the ifs box matches right up to your factory sector shaft.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Nimyad
no you don't need a u bolt flip for a RUF but it makes it a hell of a lot easier.
yes the ifs box matches right up to your factory sector shaft.
Awesome thank you

so how does this list sound for parts.
-two ubolt flips
-chevy spring hangers
-shackle hangers
-high steer
-ifs box
-run stock shackles then figure out correct shackle length and get those
-run stock shocks then measure and get appropriate length new ones
-Tires
-square front driveline
-ford shock towers

i already have the gears and chevy springs. This should give me more than enough room to run 35's with quite a bit of flex correct?

Last edited by JagerFiend; 01-19-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:48 PM

you might want the front spring drop hanger as well, i didn't use it on my 81 but i had to reposition my shackles. i could have ran a boomerang shackle instead but didn't think about it.
i ran the chevy 63's rear and a custom RUF pack, i have at most 4 inches of lift and i never rubbed with 35's. i pushed my front axle forward like 5 inches though.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Nimyad
you might want the front spring drop hanger as well, i didn't use it on my 81 but i had to reposition my shackles. i could have ran a boomerang shackle instead but didn't think about it.
i ran the chevy 63's rear and a custom RUF pack, i have at most 4 inches of lift and i never rubbed with 35's. i pushed my front axle forward like 5 inches though.
Ill keep that in mind about the drop hanger. Probly gonna go with the boomerang shackle at this point due to working on a budget.

While i was at my buddies house we rolled out one of his dads spare tires which measured 34.7 inches. We set it next to my truck just for ˟˟˟˟s and giggles. It rolled forward a bit while i was trying to take the picture.

but the tire looks like it would fit as is. maybe with a little trimming. with a lift i dont think i should worry

One thing i ran into when i bought some tires off of craigs is the rims bound up up on the steering components. Seems to me like installing high steer arms might cause problems like this? what diameter and width of tires are you guys running?
Old 01-20-2011, 01:33 PM

there are guys running 37's stock height. and if i remember right nimyad ran 35s stock height for awhile. And if rubbing happens there is always wheel spacers and a hammer!
You could easily make it work!
Old 01-20-2011, 03:43 PM

there are guys running 37's stock height. and if i remember right nimyad ran 35s stock height for awhile. And if rubbing happens there is always wheel spacers and a hammer!
You could easily make it work!
that i did, with stock steering and stock gears and no spacers and no trimming other then where the factory bumper is, man i'm good lol. i had a 15x8 inch wheel with 3.75 in BS or so and i never rubbed the stock steering then i ran high steer with no spacers for a while and the tire rubbed the leaf springs but with some 1.5 in spacer it didn't ever rub
Old 01-20-2011, 04:29 PM

BOOM!
rock it haha
Old 01-20-2011, 06:20 PM

BOOM!
rock it haha
Hell yeah.
Picked up some 36" tires with 3" backspacing today from craigs for 200 bucks. about 25 percent tread nice rims. probly gonna hot knife em for a little more tread

Gonna try and get the gears and tires on tomorrow
and order the rest of the parts for my lift tonight or tomorrow
Old 01-20-2011, 06:28 PM

Hell Yeah! We expect pictures! i'm guessing iroks?
man i am such a craigslist troll haha. Nice find!

Quick Reply: My 81 pickup