Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

LCE Hedder Found + Exhaust system?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LCE Hedder Found + Exhaust system?

Hello again,

I have located an LC Engineering hedder on CL, and i am hoping it is what i am looking for. The guy says that it came off an 81 4x4, and it is still pretty clean looking and ceramic coated. He also says that it is a long tube, but he does not know if it is the race version or the street version.

If i end up getting this hedder, i plan on getting an exhaust to finish it off as well. What is the best "kit" exhaust out there, or does it not really make a difference as long as the tube size is correct? On the same subject, what would you recommend for a muffler as well? Ideally i want a nice rumble to the system as a whole. I've been running around with a hedder to pipe to hardly attached muffler, and it sounds pretty odd.

What should i be looking for when he sends me pictures (no pictures in the ad)?
How much would you say a used set in good condition is worth?
What is the recommended size for a performance exhaust on the 22r?
Will it matter that the engine was rebuilt using the block from an 87?
Old 02-12-2014, 06:50 PM

Here is a picture of the hedder. He says that the O2 port and the air inlet are still factory sealed.
Attached Thumbnails LCE Hedder Found + Exhaust system?-img_0334.jpg  
Old 02-12-2014, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Here are my thoughts:
1-That's a Tri-Y header and I'm pretty sure that LCE never made a Tri-Y header. Could be a Doug Thorley or a NWOR
2-That O2 bung location is typical of a NWOR header
3-WTF is that pipe coming off the third cylinder tube?! Loosks like some some idiot might have tried to make ghetto as hell turbo setup or something
4-What kind of idiot hangs a header from the clutch lever on his dirtbike?!

I would be suspect of it and personally wouldn't buy it.

As for the rest of your exhaust, I went with a 2.25" exhaust from the header collector flange back with a Thrush Welded muffler. Haven't heard mine yet since I'm still building my truck,
But I have heard others with the same setup. It's not super loud and obnoxious, but it is throaty with a light rumble and no ricer sound.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by kawazx636
Here are my thoughts:
1-That's a Tri-Y header and I'm pretty sure that LCE never made a Tri-Y header. Could be a Doug Thorley or a NWOR
2-That O2 bung location is typical of a NWOR header
3-WTF is that pipe coming off the third cylinder tube?! Loosks like some some idiot might have tried to make ghetto as hell turbo setup or something
4-What kind of idiot hangs a header from the clutch lever on his dirtbike?!

I would be suspect of it and personally wouldn't buy it.

As for the rest of your exhaust, I went with a 2.25" exhaust from the header collector flange back with a Thrush Welded muffler. Haven't heard mine yet since I'm still building my truck,
But I have heard others with the same setup. It's not super loud and obnoxious, but it is throaty with a light rumble and no ricer sound.

1 - What would be the best way to identify which header it is? Aside form hoping to find a welded on badge? Aren't the Tri-y headers the best ones out there?
2 - the O2 does make it look a lot like an NWOR
3 - he claims the vertical tube is stock and sealed, says it was for a stock air filter of some sort? maybe an air injection port? i have no idea.
4 - the kind of idiot that doesn't really ride his dirt bike.

I am little suspect, but i simply cannot afford to buy a brand new one as much as i would love to, and probably should. If i get a used header then i can buy a new exhaust, if i get a new header i can't afford to. It is my DD, and the setup one it is not good for it, so i don't want it to sit in pieces while i save up money.

Did you get yours as a pre-made kit, or piece it together yourself? I have a good exhaust shop in town, i was mainly wondering if there would be any advantage to buying a kit as opposed to taking my truck in there sand having him make something to fit as long as he is using the correct size tubing and bends?

Thanks for all the input. It is much appreciated.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:38 PM

Here are a few additional pictures i got from him last night.
Attached Thumbnails LCE Hedder Found + Exhaust system?-img_0335.jpg   LCE Hedder Found + Exhaust system?-img_0337.jpg   LCE Hedder Found + Exhaust system?-img_0336.jpg  
Old 02-13-2014, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

How much is he asking for the header?

I built my exhaust myself using flex pipe and pre-bent tubing from advance auto and welded it together. Muffler and all, probably cost me around $100-120 to do the job. My exhaust is perfect fine, but it is temporary for now. Once I get my build finished and have all of the clearances checked, I'm going to take it down and use it to have a custom stainless steel exhaust made.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:51 PM

He is asking $200, and lives about 70 miles away. It is an extra one that came with a 22r that he bought to rebuild in his truck. The guy he got it from said it was an LCE, and didn't know how old it was. That is all he has to go off. There is no badge on the header at all, is that normal for NWOR or Thorley headers? I feel he might be flexible on the price if i am willing to drive and meet him or something.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:23 PM

Just called NWOR to see if it was theirs, they say it is not since they have not used a 3 bolt collector in over 20 years. Guess that means it must be a Doug Thorley then right?
Old 02-13-2014, 04:15 PM

In the middle picture posted in my reply above; what are the two holes below cylinders 2 & 3? is that where the EGR system would be? Removed it on my system, but have not done the headers yet.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Doug Thorleys have a badge. I wouldn't pay $200 for mystery headers. They aren't even in that great of shape. And all this he said, she said stuff doesn't fly with me. You're going on the assumption that they guy before this guy knows what he's talking about. I've never seen a 22R header that looks like that so you'd be taking a gamble on them. Shoot, the flange might not even be true so it could leak. I say keep looking or cough up the extra money for new headers
Old 02-14-2014, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That pipe sticking out was probably to connect a tube to the intake to heat up the engine quicker in winter time. Many carburated cars came out like this stock. I know there is another company that used to make a 4-2-1 header but I don't remember what it's called. I have a doug thorley header and it is not the same design at all and it doesn't have a badge (maybe it was removed though).
Old 02-14-2014, 04:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Doesn't look like any of the brands listed yet. I wouldn't pay that much for this questionable header. On my truck I kept stock header and increased pipe size to 2" a little more than a foot away from end of header. Got me a new 2" CAT that you can toss a golf ball straight through, then followed out with 2.25" and a turbo muffler that you can toss golf ball straight through also. Pretty much the most free flowing exhaust I could get without buying a header and keep it CA smog legal on my 22re engine. If I were to get a header I'd love a Thorley, but for the price comparison I think I would go with a $350 Stan's Headers tri-y.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:16 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

This is my dough thorley try y and what you have there is no dough thorley. If it was me man I would look else where
Old 02-15-2014, 01:45 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
That looks like a heddman. The pipe on the third tube is a heat riser for your stock intake. It's not supposed to be opened to exhaust, just let's warm air up to your carb. LCE has always had open o2 ports with bolt on block off plates.
It is 50 state legal, but you'll need to find a flange for the end of your exhaust pipe to bolt them together, LCE has those cheap . Don't drop $200 on it, I think jegs carries them for about that much new.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:47 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Looks like it could be a Downey off road header. A NWOR knock off. I wouldn't give more than $100 for it in that condition