Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Ignition Cylinder stuck in lock /:

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 08:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ignition Cylinder stuck in lock /:

First post here on YotaTech. Seem to be quite a few knowledgeable people on here.
A little background is in order first i guess. 83 toyota, 5 speed. put an '87 22r in it with a weber 38, intake is ported, pacesetter header. Running only header and downpipe currently so the neighbors hate me. had a marlin 1600 clutch until i grenaded it, aussie locker sitting in my room waiting for install, topshift is rebuilt. Shes got 33x12.5 and a block lift which is going asap. Longbed, standard cab. BIG PLANS for this truck..

HERES MY ISSUE...
Ive never had the matching key for the ignition cylinder and the truck has taken any key that goes in far enough to turn it over. until last night..

figured out my clutch/tranny issue and added another downpipe for good measure(;

..hopped in the truck to give it a run around the block and it fell into 'lock' instead of 'acc' now it wont budge, and the steering wheel is locked up.... I pulled the ignition switch off the back and can turn the truck over no problem. HOWEVER THE STEERING WHEEL IS STILL LOCKED, ive been told by more than one person i cannot replace the iginition switch until i get the cylinder back into accessory. ANYONE CONFIRM?! and if i cant replace the lock cylinder ive been told THE WHOLE COLUMN WILL NEED REPLACED D:

this is exactly what I dont want right now. should i just have a locksmith try and make a key from nothing? can they do that?! toyota only has vin key codes from around 90+

ANY AND ALL ADVICE/EXPERIENCE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED

Last edited by '83Toy; 03-21-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im a 4th generation locksmith by family, sadly though we've never worked with automotive. my neighbor (who also happens to be a locksmith) was talking to his brother, who is a locksmith for magee, and he said they have a woman who works in the office, and by using a feeler pick, che can guesstimate on wich number pins are used, and cut a key, and then modify it untill it works smoothly. now that is one hard job to do, and its just pure skill, id say shes one of the few who can do that in this country, so your chances of getting that done are very slim, though by all means it can be done

have you tried snapping the key off and drilling?? it will ruin your cylinder though, and im sure the cops wouldnt like to see a screwdriver stickin outta the ignition LOL
Old 03-21-2011, 08:31 PM

ive tried multiple keys, and ive been told most first gen keys should start it, like with any other generation keys starting other rigs. ive been told there are tools that mold the inside of the cylinder allowing for a replica to be made. Theres actually a pin in the cylinder itself that will pop the key cylinder out allowing for a replica to be made, but that cant be done in 'LOCK'/:

ive weighed the pros and cons of drilling it. i would be all for it if it was 100% that it would unlock the steering wheel.....since starting the truck is simple.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im guessing the pin that would pop the cylinder out of the core (or pop the whole ignition out of the column, idk wich) would be located all the way in the back of the cylinder, its probably a little shorter then the rest of the pins, so if you accidentally stick the wrong key in there it wont pop out on ya

im guessing drilling it woul unlock the wheel right?? im not sure at all on that one, i think its just a press your luck kinda deal
Old 03-21-2011, 08:45 PM

thats probably true about the last one being the smallest. When I pulled the ignition switch off i can actually see the last pin through a little rectangular hole. i wonder if it would do any good to push it back (engage it) or if that would be pointless..
Old 03-21-2011, 08:52 PM

On my 86 4Runner which was stolen recently (I got it back undamaged) which is why I know about this, there is a small pin that you can push down on to remove the lock cylinder. As you have found you cannot do this with the key in "Lock" it needs to be in "ACC". Now the thieve used a big screwdriver or maybe even another key to turn it to ACC and then used the screwdriver to simply start the truck.

If you can get the lock cylinder out check your local Napa for a replacement. I got mine for $50.00.

The pin that you need to push in is not in the back of the cylinder or hidden in any way, it is simply right next to where the key goes into the cylinder barely covered by the trim plastic.

Car thieves know all this already so dont think I am giving out any secrets here.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:45 AM

I did try the pin. But as you mentioned in 'lock' it wont budge. I guess my issue is getting it to 'acc'. if you think jamming a large screwdriver in there will do the trick then I might have to try that before I give up and bust out the drill..
Old 03-22-2011, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had to do this with my 93, I could not get it to turn with anything. I ended up drilling it out which was no fun. I drilled and a half inch hole into the center and after got about 2 inches into it I could rotate the cylinder with a screwdriver and remove it. Your's could be a bit different though but this is what worked for me, good luck.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:15 AM

got it figured out. pulled the column, had a buddy mess with his third gen key until it came free. popped the cylinder out immediately. starts with a screwdriver now.