Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Crank bolt!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crank bolt!!

I told you guys there would be more questions!

I need ideas for how to get the front bolt out of the crank. The engine is on the stand and almost everything is off of it, but I cannot get the crank bolt (the one that holds the pulley on) to come out because there is absolutely no resistance. I end up just spinning the crank

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-22-2009, 04:43 PM

Received 275 Likes on 186 Posts
I built a bolt on "clamp" to attach to the flywheel bolt holes and engine stand ...
Old 02-22-2009, 04:50 PM

Dude I wish I had something like that! Dont really know what I'm going to do, but I might rig something up like that. Thanks!
Old 02-22-2009, 04:55 PM

use a impact.....works for me every time
Old 02-22-2009, 05:01 PM

i had the same problem with my 81 just use a long breaker bar rotate the crank until the bar is on top of the frame on the driver side have some one bump the starter and walla breaks it right loose u might have to give it a couple bumps just make sure to disable the ignition
Old 02-22-2009, 05:22 PM

Received 275 Likes on 186 Posts
as he said in the first post ...

engine is out and on a stand .. in-frame Ideas dont work here ! ...

seriously .. read before you post !!
Old 02-22-2009, 05:31 PM

oh my bad deff 2nd the impact idea then or get ahold of a flywheel/flexplate holder have one person hold the flex plate and the other turn the bolt
Old 02-23-2009, 05:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
There are enough posts on here on tools to hold the crank pulley from turning... do a search, go out and buy yourself a piece of angle iron, drill some holes in it, bolt it to the crank pulley, and go to town with a breaker bar on the crank bolt.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:03 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Good ideas above. Glad to see you're progressing! Is the the truck that's been for sale on craigslist for about a year, or no? I'm down in Helena.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:30 AM

This is was the black truck that used to be on Craigslist. I hope that I have the engine rebuilt by summer, and I was thinking about doing the $50 paint job with the rustoleum enamel. It will probably end up being my DD so I dont have any crazy mods lined up for it.

83- I will be reading and re-reading your thread I'm sure. Tons of good info in there for me.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:33 AM

Nice! I saw it come up on craigslist just after I bought my truck off craigslist in Livingston. It needed a lot of work, as you'll see reading my thread over...but overall somehow it's in good shape, if that makes sense. I think what I have is a truck that was treated overall very well for the majority of it's life, but somebody with no respect for it got a hold of it not too long before me and beat the crap out of it.

I'm glad you're keeping it. If I remember right, cosmetically it just needed the interior door panels and some seats? Otherwise looked like a really good truck.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:48 AM

Dude, you've got a great memory! You are correct.

Yeah, this truck is pretty solid, came out of the Nevada desert so not too much rust. I just hope I'm not in over my head with the engine rebuild...
Old 02-23-2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by mt83
Dude, you've got a great memory! You are correct.

Yeah, this truck is pretty solid, came out of the Nevada desert so not too much rust. I just hope I'm not in over my head with the engine rebuild...
Of course you are! Get yourself a factory service manual and a friend who's done it before. I had the machine shop do some of things I didn't feel comfortable doing, but at this point I wish I had done it and saved more money. It's a matter or doing more research than actually working on the truck for a while, and having enough discipline & patience to stop what you're doing when you don't quite understand something or aren't quite sure. It may mean no work is done for a day or two while you're on here asking questions or finding somebody who can help, but it's better than realizing you did something wrong after it's all put back together.

Get an engine stand.

Well, I have a good memory for things I enjoy, plus, when I first bought my truck I was on craigslist every day looking for parts, and I had to look at your damn truck for months while you were trying to sell it!!!
Old 02-23-2009, 07:36 PM

Ive been keeping my eye out for a FSM but got outbid a couple of weeks ago on Ebay and havent seen one since.

First thing I got was an engine stand off of Craigslist. You ever talked to that guy down in Frenchtown who has all the parts for our trucks. I havent gotten far enough to get parts from him, but I hope when I do he comes through.

Hows the rebuild doing in your truck? I'm trying to decide if I want to rebuild a 32/36 Weber carb that I have to throw on there.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:35 PM

If you have the oil pan off, take a peice of 2x4 and wedge it inside between the block and the crank throw. That should give you enough lock up to get the bolt off.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:27 PM

Thanks KJV!

If I get some free time tomorrow I will definately give your idea a try.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One trick I learned which always works is using nylon string. Pull a spark plug and slide a few feet of it in. While spinning the motor over the piston will move up until string compresses. Then just use a impact wrench or breaker bar to do the rest.

Last edited by strykersd; 02-24-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by mt83
Ive been keeping my eye out for a FSM but got outbid a couple of weeks ago on Ebay and havent seen one since.

First thing I got was an engine stand off of Craigslist. You ever talked to that guy down in Frenchtown who has all the parts for our trucks. I havent gotten far enough to get parts from him, but I hope when I do he comes through.

Hows the rebuild doing in your truck? I'm trying to decide if I want to rebuild a 32/36 Weber carb that I have to throw on there.
Yeah that happened to me the one time I tried ebay. Luckily a guy on here decided to sell his '83 and sold me the FSM cheap. Just keep an eye out, they're out there. I looked (although not hard) for months, then one finally just kind of fell into my lap.

If we're talking about the same guy, I was just there on Saturday. He's a cool guy...very interesting...but cool. Right now just about all the parts are still attached to the 1983 truck. I went up & got a carb and steering gear box with power steering pump. What do you need? The interior isn't great, and the body sucks. It's also half buried in snow, but they've got a 10 year old they'll make shovel you a path! Kind of kidding...they shoveled most of it but they kept the kid working too.

He's about 9 miles up a snow covered one lane unpaved mountain road, and if it's sunny it'll be nice, but man it got cold once the sun went down. I had never dealt with power steering or taking a gear box off so it was kind of slow going and I was out there in the snow for 5 hours getting the thing off. Got a little chilly.

Also, I made an offer over the phone, and he starting reading me the prices of these parts new from Toyota...but all I did was tell him that's a lot more than I was willing to pay and he backed way off and I got it for a good price. Just look around on these sites and see what people are asking for these kind of parts and offer him that.

Sorry for the novel. If we aren't talking about the same guy, nevermind!

The rebuilding of my truck...seems never ending. Just when I think I've replaced everything, there's something else. But it's all small stuff now and I can handle it, and it's pretty much a reliable road trip vehicle now, so I'm happy. I just ordered a rebuilt carb yesterday. Honestly...other than the t-case, rear d-shaft and front & rear diffs...I think I've pretty much got everything else. Crazy.

Good luck! If you get some spare money there are still 83 FSM's for sale new. Check the "Ready To Buy" thread by Fleck. Page one or two (or maybe three?) has a link he ordered his from. Pricey, but...probably worth it if you can't find a used one. You can download an '85 from ttora, and really not much changed between our engines and theirs, so get that if you don't get an '83. It's waaaay better than a Haynes or Chiltons.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/ Just scroll down to the photo of our truck. It says 79-85, but it's an 85.

Do some research on carbs. Many people love Webers, and just as many swear by the stock Aisin (aisan?) carbs. More complicated but if nothing else I think just about everyone can agree they are better engineered. It's nice to get rid of all you emissions stuff with the Weber though.

Last edited by 83; 02-24-2009 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:16 PM

Heeeeaaaaaat!!!