Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

carb issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carb issue

I am having problems getting fuel from the carve to the cylinders. My fuel pump is working and I have fuel in the sight glass of the carve. I can pour gas down into the carve and it will burn that fuel but n more. The engine is a 1982 22r.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the word you want is Carb .With the motor off try looking down the carb throat and work the throttle,there should be a strong steam of fuel when the throttle is operated. If there is no fuel squirting the accelerator pump is not working right ,or has a hole in it. The passage in the carb could also be plugged.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:18 AM

I've been snooping around on here looking for answers and If any of you have ideas I'd LOVE to hear them!!!

I have an 83 Hilux 4x4 with the 22R. I've done a tune up and replaced all 647 ft of vacuum line under the hood. I have to choke it to get it to start when cold and it will fire right up and idle. Once it warms up it refuses to idle at all and you have to pop the hood, yank the breather and choke it with your hand to get it started again. Once you let off the throttle it dies and it's no biggie if you are moving you can just bump start but if you are stopped in traffic... not cool.

Any ideas?
Old 03-05-2012, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Derfus
I've been snooping around on here looking for answers and If any of you have ideas I'd LOVE to hear them!!!

I have an 83 Hilux 4x4 with the 22R. I've done a tune up and replaced all 647 ft of vacuum line under the hood. I have to choke it to get it to start when cold and it will fire right up and idle. Once it warms up it refuses to idle at all and you have to pop the hood, yank the breather and choke it with your hand to get it started again. Once you let off the throttle it dies and it's no biggie if you are moving you can just bump start but if you are stopped in traffic... not cool.

Any ideas?

I'm guessing that it's an automatic choke? Otherwise you wouldn't have to pull the breather, you could push or pull the choke cable. It sounds like you have your idle screw turned in too far...have you tried to adjust your idle at all? When you first start it cold, you step on the pedal to engage the fast idle cam, right? And the truck probably runs a little over 2000rpms until it warms? Then when you blip the gas pedal to take off, the fast idle cam disengages, and the carb drops down to where the idle screw allows it to...unless the screw allows it to fall far enough to stall. You said you can pop start it when you're moving? I'm just wondering why you could pop start it no problem, but you have to get out and close the butterfly(ies) to start it with the key. What condition is the carb in? Is it a California emissions truck?
Old 03-05-2012, 07:45 AM

Replaced carb with new weber and no problems.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:27 AM

Thank you for the replies!! I guess I should have given more details. Yes it's an automatic choke and yes I've played with the idle adjustments but didnt really know what I was doing to be honest. Yes it idles pretty high when cold.

As far as condition it's sat up for a while. I was given the truck by a friend and I pulled it up out of a bottom where it was left to die (such a waste). A new battery, gas and some tires and it fired up and I drove it home.

From a cold start I'll pull the breather, choke it with my hand and it will start. It will sit and idle as it should until it's warm. What's strange is it will idle there as long as you want, yet if you try to drive it, it will die as soon as you let off the pedal. If you were to start it and drive away before it warms up, it'll idle fine... until it warms up.

When I mentioned pop starting it I was talking about taking off again as soon as it started, and not letting it idle. Warmed up at idle is my problem and if you are in traffic you have to feather the gas to keep the rpm's up above idle to keep it from dying on you.

To my knowledge it's not a Cali truck and has lived it's life here in Arkansas. Putting a new carb on it would fix the problem but I hate to cough up the coin if the original carb is fixable.

Thanks again for the help in advance!!
Old 03-05-2012, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Derfus
Thank you for the replies!! I guess I should have given more details. Yes it's an automatic choke and yes I've played with the idle adjustments but didnt really know what I was doing to be honest. Yes it idles pretty high when cold.

As far as condition it's sat up for a while. I was given the truck by a friend and I pulled it up out of a bottom where it was left to die (such a waste). A new battery, gas and some tires and it fired up and I drove it home.

From a cold start I'll pull the breather, choke it with my hand and it will start. It will sit and idle as it should until it's warm. What's strange is it will idle there as long as you want, yet if you try to drive it, it will die as soon as you let off the pedal. If you were to start it and drive away before it warms up, it'll idle fine... until it warms up.

When I mentioned pop starting it I was talking about taking off again as soon as it started, and not letting it idle. Warmed up at idle is my problem and if you are in traffic you have to feather the gas to keep the rpm's up above idle to keep it from dying on you.

To my knowledge it's not a Cali truck and has lived it's life here in Arkansas. Putting a new carb on it would fix the problem but I hate to cough up the coin if the original carb is fixable.

Thanks again for the help in advance!!
Derfus, I was having similar problems, and my original plan for my 81 was to simply be a beater with a heater...but I'm slowly putting her back together. I gave up on the TOY500 stock carb and got a weber 32/36 with a manual choke, with an air cleaner assembly, filter, and adapter kit specific to my truck for $260, shipping and tax included. The install took me about 45 minutes. She runs so much better, and is very easy to tune-there's a sticky in the pre-84 forum with more info on tuning them. I got mine off ebay from 'weber carbs direct' and had it 3 days after I ordered. Definitely worth the money.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:27 PM

I might have to give that a look!! I was looking at carbs and kept seeing knock offs for $300 for the carb only. $260 with all the toys, shipped for a weber is not that painful. Thanks for the info!