Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

83 3rz swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 10:14 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
83 3rz swap

I wanted to start a thread to document my 3rz swap into my 83 shortbed, mainly for myself but who knows maybe someone else will find it helpful.

I decided to do this swap a few months ago when I found out I cracked the block of my 22r. It was a small hairline crack on the oil pan mounting surface, causing it to leak oil like crazy.

So I looked for a 3rz for a long time, they are pretty hard to come by out here in Hawaii. Was really hoping to find a donor truck. ut could only find a backyard engine that was pretty complete. This is what I got:

Then I found a w-56 trans in someone elses backyard. It came with the tcase and front driveshaft still attached (which i dont need) but was missing the shifter handle (which i do need).

Found a bellhousing from the w-59 tacoma trans

The engine I bought was pretty rough, and the guy didn’t even know what truck it was from or the history of it at all. So I decided to tear it down and rebuild it.

It waa a good thing I did because I found a small crack in the head near the no.3 cylinder spark plug hole/exhaust valve. After some research I found out this is a common problem on these heads.

So my options were to either wait and try to find another head or buy a new one. It took me long enough to find this one, so I wasn’t too hopeful I’d be able to find another one. Also there would be the chance of finding another cracked one. So I ordered a new one from Clearwater cylinder heads. Complete head with cams for $575.

Had the block sent to the machine shop, all it needed was a hone thankfully.

I odered the rebuild kit from LC, complete with water pump and ARP studs. Also got the balance shaft delete kit. While I was waiting for that to arrive I went ahead and cleaned up some of the engine components.

So thats where I am now. Will rebuild the engine next when the kit comes in. After that pull the 22r, clean and paint the engine bay. Need to order motor mounts (can’t decide between chillkat and toyonly), oil pan, and header.
The following 2 users liked this post by cartercoulombe:
det107 (03-04-2020), toy_tek (10-09-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 05:20 PM

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
Badazz! I really want to swap a 3RZ into my 81 once funds become adequate so I'll be following along closely.

What's the plan for wiring harness? Are you going to try to retain A/C?
Old 10-09-2019, 07:39 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Just a warning, when doing the balance shaft delete get a different tap!!! The one they send will snap in the block, its happened on multiple attempts (ask me how I know.) I'm in the middle of a 3rz swap myself, right now I've got the front axle pulled. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f197...o-tall-303059/
The following 2 users liked this post by jakey poo:
det107 (03-04-2020), toy_tek (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 11:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
X2 on the tap. Or better yet just weld the hole over and grind flush. Which is what I did AFTER I broke the tap off.

what year 3rz are you using? I have a lot of 83 to 99 wiring info that might be helpful if you’re doing a 2 coil version

Last edited by toy_tek; 10-09-2019 at 11:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
det107 (03-04-2020)
Old 10-10-2019, 07:45 AM

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts
Very cool! I would love to do this some day. So thanks in advance for the build thread!!
Old 10-12-2019, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Punjab
Badazz! I really want to swap a 3RZ into my 81 once funds become adequate so I'll be following along closely.

What's the plan for wiring harness? Are you going to try to retain A/C?
Yeah I’m so ready to ditch the 22r! Don’t get me wrong its a great motor, Im just sick of the carb flooding on steep obsticles. Truck dies and won’t restart til someone pulls me off haha.

Wiring is gonna be bare essentials, I dont have the donor body harness or dash. Plan is to splice in only what I need to get it running. Still unsure on what to do about VSS. From what I read my 83 dash doesn’t have a VSS like later models. I could get the Marlin VSS adapter, but then I’d be sacrificing the original speedo.

Definitely no AC
Old 10-12-2019, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by jakey poo
Just a warning, when doing the balance shaft delete get a different tap!!! The one they send will snap in the block, its happened on multiple attempts (ask me how I know.) I'm in the middle of a 3rz swap myself, right now I've got the front axle pulled. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f197...o-tall-303059/
Roger that! Do you know what size the tap is? I can maybe buy a high quality one and have it before the kit shows up. Thanks man

Originally Posted by toy_tek
X2 on the tap. Or better yet just weld the hole over and grind flush. Which is what I did AFTER I broke the tap off.

what year 3rz are you using? I have a lot of 83 to 99 wiring info that might be helpful if you’re doing a 2 coil version
Thanks for the tip toytek, maybe i’ll just do that. LC makes it look so easy in their video haha.

My 3rz is either a 95 or 96, distributer type. How different is the wiring from the 2 coil? Will definitely take any help I can get, thanks!
Old 10-14-2019, 08:56 AM

I'll see if I can dig up the tap, but I think I might've thrown what I had left away.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:58 AM

Still waiting for parts...

Painted the block

And did a DIY crankshaft polish since the machine shop here couldn’t do it.

Mwhite49 (10-15-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 07:55 AM

Received 572 Likes on 451 Posts
Cool build / rebuild!

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the point of deleting the balance shafts?

I am just curious!

Old 11-21-2019, 11:59 PM

Rebuild kit arrived, so I started putting the motor back together.

Took two weeks to get the connecting rod bushings reamed to fit the piston pins. Had to send them out to a machine shop on another island!

Will be pulling the 22r out next, after one last camping trip this weekend.
Mwhite49 (11-23-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by old87yota
Cool build / rebuild!

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the point of deleting the balance shafts?

I am just curious!

Its just to eliminate a common failure point, plus its less rotating mass the engine has to turn.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:56 PM

Project got put on hold as life got pretty busy. I got engaged though! So the swap kinda came to a halt. But have had some more time to work on it, littlr by little she is coming together.

Chilkat mounts actually worked out pretty good, engine sitting nice and level without any adjustment.

Slowly buttoning up everything bit by bit. Used the radiator and shroud from the 22r, hopefully that will suffice. Ran new 5/16 fuel lines and used the tank from the 83 and a walbro in-line fuel pump.

Started wiring up some relays tonight. This is thr part I’ve been dreading as I’m not the greatest with wiring. Got the diagrams from techinfo.com and some posts from forums. I want to keep the 83 wiring all there and add in the engine separately. Going to try and use the ignition switch from the 83 and tie that into the engine...although if I can’t make that work I may end up with a separate toggle switch. Wish me luck!
det107 (03-04-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 08:30 PM

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts
Looking good!

You got the big stuff done. Small things like wiring arent hard, they just take time and concentration.
you have the harness and ecm for the 3rz?
you can always wire a toggle switch to start just to get it fired up so you can get to the next stage of troubleshooting, then splice it into the ign switch later.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:48 PM

Ya have the ECU and harness but no fuse box so wiring up a few relays and fuses on my own.
The more I try to think about it the more I want to just wire in toggle switches! I think you make a good point. Once it's running I will be more motivated to figure out the ignition switch. So for now I might just put in a couple toggle switches for the fuel pump and EFI relays. The starter switch should still work with the stock 83 wiring and ignition switch I believe. I drew up a little wiring diagram, probably completely wrong. We shall see!
Old 02-20-2020, 08:52 PM

Old 02-21-2020, 06:31 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Real nice work man. What's the plan for the 22R?
Old 02-21-2020, 08:23 AM

Congrats on the engagement! You're way ahead of me on my swap
Old 02-21-2020, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by melk
Real nice work man. What's the plan for the 22R?
Thanks man, the 22r had a cracked block so I got rid of it for next to nothing.

Originally Posted by jakey poo
Congrats on the engagement! You're way ahead of me on my swap
Thanks! You still working on yours? I thought you finished already Nothing ever happens as fast as you think its going to.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:27 AM

Just got to reading your build thread now. Lookd like you are doing a lot more than just an engine swap! Good work man keep it up. Just think about how good it will feel when its all done. I think I might cry when I finally hear this engine start up 😂.

By the way, how is your wife doing?

Quick Reply: 83 3rz swap