Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

4Runner parts to upgrade my 82 truck with?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4Runner parts to upgrade my 82 truck with?

Hey guys! I've acquired a V6 EFI 1994 4Runner that is still intact, with a blown head gasket.

I don't plan to repair the 4Runner but I was wondering which goodies I could salvage from it and install into my 82 truck.

So far, I plan on getting the brake booster and master cylinder... Anything else worth taking off to upgrade my truck?

Many thanks!
Old 01-28-2015, 10:28 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
You could always do a brake swap, along with the booster. Is it an auto? It would take work, but the tranny is a good one if it's manual. Seats are probably too big. Console? Rear end? As in axle & differential.

Exaust. It should have a slightly larger diameter pipe than your truck.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:35 AM

Received 302 Likes on 208 Posts
The rear axle could be swapped over if you cut the 4link brackets off and welded some perches on. It should be a couple inches wider than your current one, as well as the 10" drum breaks. If not the rear 3rd, if its the same ratio as yours could be used. Odd ratio gears are worth more if you sold the front and rear together.

Trans is not compatible without the fancy r151F turbo bell housing...

You could take the seats n stuff if you wanted to. Not a whole lot worth swapping over there.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep the ifs hubs (1.5'' wider on each side), swap to ventilated brakes with the bigger calipers, the rear axle is 3'' wider and can match the front if you swap to the ifs hubs, rear third member could be worth good money if it is 4.56 or 4.88, transfer case is the less noisy type, ifs steering box is good for a high steer setup and is sought after, that's all I can think of right now.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:46 AM

Great advice guys! My truck doesn't have power-steering so I thought about grabbing the parts for that but I'm not sure if I want hydraulic steering instead since I have a lot of hydraulic parts laying around to fab a system together.

I'll grab the brakes and calipers for sure. Will the larger front/rear brakes simply bolt on? I've read there are some clearance issues with the booster not clearing the clutch fluid reservoir in the 82 engine bay.

The gears are stock ratio and it's an automatic transmission. The seats are too large and the sleek windshield wipers are too long hah!
Old 01-29-2015, 09:57 AM

Received 302 Likes on 208 Posts
Stock ratio could be 4.56 or 4.88, thats what hes saying. How to check here--> http://www.brian894x4.com/Gearratiosanddiffs.html

Fronts will bolt on, rears will take some work, you have to swap the larger backing plate/breaks/hardware over to your 82s axle shafts. 3
Old 01-29-2015, 01:26 PM

You can't use the 4runner brake booster
Old 01-30-2015, 07:50 PM

Front brake calipers, rear brake cylinders, brake master cylinder, and possibly the booster all fit and are upgrades. The booster will fit if it's the small-diameter dual-diaphragm type. I believe my small/dual came from a 3rd gen 2WD V6 truck, but I'm not sure. The front brake upgrade is well-documented; along with the booster I have this and highly recommend it. You may have clearance issues with the calipers, depending on your wheels. FWIW, both the base-model and the SR5 steel wheels that an 82 would've come with from the factory DO clear the early V6 calipers (S12W). Yours however are later, probably S13WB; I don't know if they fit. If you have aftermarket wheels, there's no way to know except trying them; it's not merely a backspacing or offset issue, rather one of dish and barrel shape.

I don't believe the 3VZ's power steering has anything in common with your 22R's.

The seats are an upgrade but are not plug-n-play; you'll need to modify/fabricate brackets.

If you're averse to swapping the whole rear axle, you *should* be able to get the bigger rear brakes by swapping the backing plate and all the stuff inside it, plus the drums, minus the axleshafts. Can someone confirm that this is the case?

EDIT: 4runner parking brakes have a cable that runs straight into the backing plate. Trucks have the cable pulling on an external lever. I don't know what it takes to make them compatible.

Last edited by moroza; 01-30-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:42 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by gillesdetrail
You can't use the 4runner brake booster
really? Swapping to a dual diaphragm booster is pretty common
Old 01-31-2015, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
really? Swapping to a dual diaphragm booster is pretty common
Hi drop, when researching for a bigger booster when doing my brake setup all I came across was people saying the dual diaphragm from the turbo trucks was the only booster that would fit, but all other models from newer truck wouldn't, I think it was a steering column interference issue, if it does and I am wrong I would be happy to install one on mine and to stand corrected.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:03 PM

There are four brake boosters in question: small/single-diaphragm (what a stock first-gen has), large/single (common on 3rd gen 2wd), large/dual (common on later 4wd), and small/dual. The latter is the only one that's an upgrade. To get it to clear the steering shaft, you need to bend a little sheetmetal and cut the booster spacer in half.

The small/dual is NOT exclusive to turbo trucks. Mine came from some 3rd-gen 2wd in a junkyard.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:06 PM

What is the best way to identify a small/dual booster?

Do you have pictures of the booster spacer before and after it was cut in half?
Old 02-03-2015, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by moroza
There are four brake boosters in question: small/single-diaphragm (what a stock first-gen has), large/single (common on 3rd gen 2wd), large/dual (common on later 4wd), and small/dual. The latter is the only one that's an upgrade. To get it to clear the steering shaft, you need to bend a little sheetmetal and cut the booster spacer in half.

The small/dual is NOT exclusive to turbo trucks. Mine came from some 3rd-gen 2wd in a junkyard.

Cool man I didn't know! I'll be on the look-out on my next junkyard run!
Old 02-05-2015, 11:15 AM

I love the advice guys! This forum is awesome.

Pictures of the booster models and mod would be awesome before I tear it out!

What about the headlights and H4 bulbs, alternator, and ignition components? I think the stock alternator is 45A but I could be mistaken...I'll research the part number and report back.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:50 PM

I feel I've chimed in on this issue in several threads, and when I get all the pictures assembled in one place I'm going to make a comprehensive First-Gen Brake Upgrade thread so we can end the confusion.

The stock setup has an aluminium spacer between the booster and the firewall. This is to clear the upper steering column U-joint. The boltpattern of later boosters is the same, but the studs are shorter. There are few ways around the problem; my solution was this:

Name:  Picture1523_zpse8c0e3b8.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  105.7 KB

This leaves just enough thread on the studs inside the firewall to put nuts on. I don't have exact dimensions; recommend cutting it about 2/3 and grinding down further in a guess-n-check fashion.

As for how to identify the boosters, stay tuned.