Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

1981 4x4 pick-up dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1981 4x4 pick-up dilemma

Hi...new member here. I've always had that fantasy to own an early 80's toyota 4x4 pick-up and recently came across a 1981. Rust-free, no damage, original paint, etc.... but it has a SBC 350 and TH350 transmission but no transfer case. The swap appears to be well done and everything sorted minus the lack of a t-case. Just curious...would that turn you off? Would you sacrifice a toyota power train/drive train for a rust-free truck? If you bought it, would you just put a transfer case in and be done with it? Lot's of variables here I realize, just wondering what those folks that have been through a restoration think of this scenario. Thanks!
Old 05-27-2018, 03:27 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
10 cents a pound, no more.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:35 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan_NF
Hi...new member here. I've always had that fantasy to own an early 80's toyota 4x4 pick-up and recently came across a 1981. Rust-free, no damage, original paint, etc.... but it has a SBC 350 and TH350 transmission but no transfer case. The swap appears to be well done and everything sorted minus the lack of a t-case. Just curious...would that turn you off? Would you sacrifice a toyota power train/drive train for a rust-free truck? If you bought it, would you just put a transfer case in and be done with it? Lot's of variables here I realize, just wondering what those folks that have been through a restoration think of this scenario. Thanks!
Does this mean it is 2 wheel drive? or they just didn't finish the swap? maybe they had a driver's side drop t-case and couldn't find a passenger side drop?
Keep this in mind, you don't just "put in a t-case" if it's 2wd, you have to gut the transmission to change the output shaft and you need to find a t-case with the passenger side output to the front or you will have to replace the front axle with a driver's side pumpkin.
If you buy it you might be better off getting the proper adapter for a small block chevy to bolt up to a Toyota transmission and go back to that, or maybe you can find a passenger side drop t-case (I think I had a 1970 with that setup TH350 with an NP235?, but my memory is fading).
Personally I would be looking at the rust free body and find a frame/drivetrain to put it on. If it doesn't move offer the guy a hundred bucks and see what happens, if he wants more tell him as soon as you can test drive it you'll consider it.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:16 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
I wouldn't let the Chevy swap bother me. As far as the tranny and transfer case, I'd do what has already been said, put a Toyota tranny and transfer case in it with an adapter from the Toyota tranny to the Chevy motor.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by akwheeler
Does this mean it is 2 wheel drive? or they just didn't finish the swap? maybe they had a driver's side drop t-case and couldn't find a passenger side drop?
Keep this in mind, you don't just "put in a t-case" if it's 2wd, you have to gut the transmission to change the output shaft and you need to find a t-case with the passenger side output to the front or you will have to replace the front axle with a driver's side pumpkin.
If you buy it you might be better off getting the proper adapter for a small block chevy to bolt up to a Toyota transmission and go back to that, or maybe you can find a passenger side drop t-case (I think I had a 1970 with that setup TH350 with an NP235?, but my memory is fading).
Personally I would be looking at the rust free body and find a frame/drivetrain to put it on. If it doesn't move offer the guy a hundred bucks and see what happens, if he wants more tell him as soon as you can test drive it you'll consider it.
Thanks for the responses. The whole truck is in mint shape including a rust-free frame. It was originally a 5 speed manual 4x4 but the original motor, tranny and transfer case are long gone. The original owner did the swap but didn't deal with the transfer case for whatever reason. The truck is on it's second owner now (last 4 or 5 years or so) and he was given the original front driveshaft when he bought it. Maybe keep the chevy motor/tranny and finish it with a NP205? But then does that mean new front and rear driveshafts are needed? I guess the dilemma for me personally is I wouldn't have considered a chevy swap but because the truck is rust-free and in fantastic shape it got me thinking. Being in Newfoundland doesn't help either...parts are hard to find so shipping big parts in gets expensive.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the responses. The whole truck is in mint shape including a rust-free frame. It was originally a 5 speed manual 4x4 but the original motor, tranny and transfer case are long gone. The original owner did the swap but didn't deal with the transfer case for whatever reason. The truck is on it's second owner now (last 4 or 5 years or so) and he was given the original front driveshaft when he bought it. Maybe keep the chevy motor/tranny and finish it with a NP205? But then does that mean new front and rear driveshafts are needed? I guess the dilemma for me personally is I wouldn't have considered a chevy swap but because the truck is rust-free and in fantastic shape it got me thinking. Being in Newfoundland doesn't help either...parts are hard to find so shipping big parts in gets expensive.
Yes, now I remember, NP205 was what my chevy had, but you didn't answer the question, is it running as a 2wd right now? because it's a big deal to make it 4wd.
Yes, both front and rear driveshafts will be custom if you stick with the TH350 and NP205.
If this is not running, has a 4 wheel drive TH350 and the installer did a good job you might be onto something, but check the guy's welds.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:57 PM

For whatever reason, I've never been a huge fan of gen 1 or 2 SBC in Toyotas. Maybe because I've never saw a well done example in person.

If the truck is as nice as you say, I (personally) would use it as an excuse to do a diesel swap.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:59 PM

Yes, now I remember, NP205 was what my chevy had, but you didn't answer the question, is it running as a 2wd right now? because it's a big deal to make it 4wd.
Yes, both front and rear driveshafts will be custom if you stick with the TH350 and NP205.
If this is not running, has a 4 wheel drive TH350 and the installer did a good job you might be onto something, but check the guy's welds.

I see what you are saying....it is running as 2 wheel drive now and it actually has a 2wd TH350 rather than a 4wd TH350.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:40 PM

I see what you are saying....it is running as 2 wheel drive now and it actually has a 2wd TH350 rather than a 4wd TH350.
because meth

I'll give him $50
Old 05-28-2018, 06:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
because meth

I'll give him $50
​​​​​​​ You're killin me AK ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​

OP, given him $100 take out the running SBC and TH350 sell em for whatever you can get and build a nice 22R and turn the Chuvota into a real nice Toyota.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:53 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah, ditch the chevy transmission at least. There are some very simple adapters to use a Toyota transmission and T-case. Personally, I'd offer to pull the chevy junk and sell it asap, piece together a nice new engine just the way you want it.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
It all depends on what you want out of it and what you see the truck should be. For me, I'm a bit of a purist and when I replaced my motor I went with the 22R...it's not the most powerful but it belongs in that truck. For this one, it sounds like you are buying someone else's project that was never quite finished...be prepared for the "extra" work that this will create.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:29 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Rust free body is a big plus, you can always ditch the 'bowtie' crap and put a proper drive train back in. Back when these trucks were new(er) this was a popular swap, Downey was a big pimper of it. One thing mentioned here that wasn't a good swap was mixing the 'Chevy Power' (ha!) with the stock 5 speed. The increased low speed torque usually destroyed the 5 speed, however the 4 speed did stand up somewhat better. The stock transfer usually was was O/K with this.

It's been said here already and I agree, you may be buying someones drive train nightmare and the bowtie power wouldn't be a selling point. I'd knock at least $2000 or 25% of the asking price off...but it depends how bad you want it. Seriously the stock 22R with the 4 or 5spd and transfer is far more durable and trouble free.

You found a rust free newfie 81? It had to of been hermetically sealed in nitrogen!

BTW...Canadian imported 4x4 trucks prior to 1982 didn't come with a 5 speed only a 4 speed was available. There's a guy down the road from where I used to live that has a mint one in a barn...4 speed SR5.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Old83@pincher
Rust free body is a big plus, you can always ditch the 'bowtie' crap and put a proper drive train back in. Back when these trucks were new(er) this was a popular swap, Downey was a big pimper of it. One thing mentioned here that wasn't a good swap was mixing the 'Chevy Power' (ha!) with the stock 5 speed. The increased low speed torque usually destroyed the 5 speed, however the 4 speed did stand up somewhat better. The stock transfer usually was was O/K with this.

It's been said here already and I agree, you may be buying someones drive train nightmare and the bowtie power wouldn't be a selling point. I'd knock at least $2000 or 25% of the asking price off...but it depends how bad you want it. Seriously the stock 22R with the 4 or 5spd and transfer is far more durable and trouble free.

You found a rust free newfie 81? It had to of been hermetically sealed in nitrogen!

BTW...Canadian imported 4x4 trucks prior to 1982 didn't come with a 5 speed only a 4 speed was available. There's a guy down the road from where I used to live that has a mint one in a barn...4 speed SR5.
You're right about that...not a chance I'd ever find one here in decent shape (or at all)! The truck is actually in southern Ontario and was originally from Arizona. Haven't been able to pull the trigger for most of the reasons above. The asking price is pretty high ($10k) and then I'd have the added expense of getting it here one way or another. Not being able to see it in person makes it tough too. Maybe restoring it back to a toyota powertrain/drivetrain is biting off more than I can chew in terms of a project and the expense but on the other hand finding one in as good a shape seems so rare these days. I dunno b'y.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:41 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
The 10K is kind of high considering its been "butchered" with chevy power, I'd definitely want an appraisal...I suspect the appraiser if they know their stuff would knock off value for the chevy crap powering it and the lack of 4wd. IMO $7500CND if its in mint condition is a fair price...they are worth more with original drivetrain...here in Canada they are considered collector cars, thus the more original the more its worth. FYI...my truck is original and accessorized in the eighties taste has an insured value of 14K CDN. Note that insured value and re-sale value can be two different things.

Apparently the 2RZ and/or 3RZ of Tacoma origin are popular swaps...I dont know how they get around the front drive shaft of the Taco transfer case being on the drivers side as opposed to the passenger side of the 79 to 84 years
Old 06-14-2018, 06:34 PM

because meth

I'll give him $50
You're right about that...not a chance I'd ever find one here in decent shape (or at all)! The truck is actually in southern Ontario and was originally from Arizona. Haven't been able to pull the trigger for most of the reasons above. The asking price is pretty high ($10k) and then I'd have the added expense of getting it here one way or another. Not being able to see it in person makes it tough too. Maybe restoring it back to a toyota powertrain/drivetrain is biting off more than I can chew in terms of a project and the expense but on the other hand finding one in as good a shape seems so rare these days. I dunno b'y.
If you even considered this truck for 10K ... ever... put down the crack pipe... seriously that ˟˟˟˟ is bad for you.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:01 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Apparently the 2RZ and/or 3RZ of Tacoma origin are popular swaps...I dont know how they get around the front drive shaft of the Taco transfer case being on the drivers side as opposed to the passenger side of the 79 to 84 years
3rz +w59 bellhousing + w56 trans + stock transfer case = same side front output. Driveline lengths change, however