Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

River Rock Pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neliconcept
IFS conversion it would be even less then 2k.

For those that haven't noticed...
I got more of the pics up! Click Here

FlyFisher,
No problem, glad you like them!

Last edited by turboale; 10-10-2006 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:20 AM
Banned

Austin you think im jokin brotha? I just priced a manual tranny and tcase for 450, can get the rest for maybe 1 grand and im done
Old 10-11-2006, 07:37 AM
Banned

forget it. Im SASing it. I just found a custom fab guy down here working on a tacoma with a d44. He likes em with low center of gravity, exactly what I want. I should be SACed by SE4rj4
Old 10-11-2006, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

so your not going to rebuild or strengthen any of the axle that could quite possibly be 20 years old and designed for the 22R, not put a locker in, not re-gear, not change or upgrade the brakes that are going to be turning at least 35s, keep the stock sized tires and most likely won't have wheels that will fit the front. Then how are all these pieces going to get put on your 4Runner that has the steering on the wrong side...? Then what about the back? You don't want to drive around with 3" of arse sag... If you are having someone else do the work I'd plan on 3x that figure.

Going SFA is a whole different bag of chips on the 3rd gen than on the 1st and 2nd gens. You MIGHT be able to do it for somewhat close to that if you did all the work yourself and you had stock everything. If I'm going to go through all that trouble there is going to be no doubt in my mind that that axle is not going to break. Especially since its much easier to work on an axle when its not attached to the truck. I'm not trying to change your mind on doing the project... just giving you my .02 and hopefully a little look into what you might not be thinking about. This is your DD right? There can't be any short cuts if this truck is going to have to function on a daily basis...

Last edited by turboale; 10-11-2006 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by turboale
so your not going to rebuild or strengthen any of the axle that could quite possibly be 20 years old and designed for the 22R, not put a locker in, not re-gear, not change or upgrade the brakes that are going to be turning at least 35s, keep the stock sized tires and most likely won't have wheels that will fit the front. Then how are all these pieces going to get put on your 4Runner that has the steering on the wrong side...? Then what about the back? You don't want to drive around with 3" of arse sag... If you are having someone else do the work I'd plan on 3x that figure.

Going SFA is a whole different bag of chips on the 3rd gen than on the 1st and 2nd gens. You MIGHT be able to do it for somewhat close to that if you did all the work yourself and you had stock everything. If I'm going to go through all that trouble there is going to be no doubt in my mind that that axle is not going to break. Especially since its much easier to work on an axle when its not attached to the truck. I'm not trying to change your mind on doing the project... just giving you my .02 and hopefully a little look into what you might not be thinking about. This is your DD right? There can't be any short cuts if this truck is going to have to function on a daily basis...

Very true! I always end up spending more on "projects" than expected even when I think I've got EVERYTHING covered. Just a thought...
Old 10-11-2006, 08:33 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. he's talking about a D44, as far as i can tell, and not a toy front, so the diff will be on the correct side.
2. even w/ a D44, he will still have to regear - no way around that to get the axle to match his toy gears.
3. why SAS and regear a front to match an open rear? if you do all that, then you'd BETTER be regearing and dropping an ARB in the rear. that means 4.88's and two ARB's or 5.29's in the rear and 5.38's up front and still two ARB's. that's $2k just in parts for that.
4. don't forget the steering box, links, and custom steering shaft. that's another grand if you do it right.
5. you still need to get some front leafs and shocks. that's another $500 minimum. then you will need to leaf the rear with new shocks. another $500 in parts. there's another grand so the front and rear travel characteristics and spring rates will be consistent.

i'm thinking in addition to the cost of the axle, you have $4000 in parts before you touch the axle shafts, birfs, brakes, etc. then you have labor on top of that. you're looking at $8k MINIMUM to pay someone to do a swap - CORRECTLY.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by bamachem
1. he's talking about a D44, as far as i can tell, and not a toy front, so the diff will be on the correct side.
2. even w/ a D44, he will still have to regear - no way around that to get the axle to match his toy gears.
3. why SAS and regear a front to match an open rear? if you do all that, then you'd BETTER be regearing and dropping an ARB in the rear. that means 4.88's and two ARB's or 5.29's in the rear and 5.38's up front and still two ARB's. that's $2k just in parts for that.
4. don't forget the steering box, links, and custom steering shaft. that's another grand if you do it right.
5. you still need to get some front leafs and shocks. that's another $500 minimum. then you will need to leaf the rear with new shocks. another $500 in parts. there's another grand so the front and rear travel characteristics and spring rates will be consistent.

i'm thinking in addition to the cost of the axle, you have $4000 in parts before you touch the axle shafts, birfs, brakes, etc. then you have labor on top of that. you're looking at $8k MINIMUM to pay someone to do a swap - CORRECTLY.
Not to mention time waiting on parts, finding correct/custom parts and doing all the work. I think I would just buy an older already built rig and keep the Runner for a dd.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bamachem

gonna answer your questions and maybe ask some at the same time

3. Im not an open rear but I will probablly switch out what I have now for an arb in to regain some drivability.
4. I think im gonna fix this by going with the allpro kit. yeah thats 2k just for the 3 link and I think it comes with steering but im not totally sure.
5. kinda comes from 4.. im gonna do a coilover front but yeah ill have to redo the rear with some chevy leafs most likely.

about the d44.. this guy somehow has i dunno maybe 30 danas in his freakin shop? he somehow bought 60 axles and brought them back from Moab. Guy must have money.

whats the point in me trading in if my truck has been takin care of and their are like 10% 4wds in my area and 90% 2wds, plus I like the looks of mine, i have history with it for one (Somebody that has ridden in it has died recently) and its been takin on trips that have memories.

Tranny and Tcase I found on car-part.com in a salvage yard in Upstate SC so I have found what I needed as far as that goes.. yes I need a new front and rear driveshaft on 2wd is slipyoke. I have a familiar Idea of what Im getting myself into. Then I have to modify my crossmember to support the 4x4 tranny and tcase on top of that.

this guy is SASing a tacoma as I speak and I have seen that thing.. he actually somehow got 52" miltary tires on a dodge ram with 6 inch lift and extended front end with fiberglass fenders.. guy likes to cut up stuff. I just want mine maybe 2-3 inchs taller then it is now but still with low center of gravity.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:54 AM
Banned

Thats my biggest issue is it being a DD and it has to be done 100% correct to what I want and as low as It can be without any problems with driveshafts hitting crossmembers.

I know its a big ass thing and there is a lot but I have been reading and reading and hopefully I can get what I need to get in order for this to happen.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

Better budget at least $12k for the SAS and rear leaf swap. I guarantee that you will have at least that in parts and labor when you're done. Believe me, I have done my homework on getting it done right and it will be that much.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:31 AM

More power to you if you have the money and time. It would be one hell of a unique rig! Keep us posted if you begin the work!
Old 10-11-2006, 04:18 PM

I think I would just buy an older already built rig and keep the Runner for a dd.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. You have a very good looking reliable DD. Keep it the way it is and buy a older rig or a beat up newer rig. Even a stock older 4x4 Toyota will go alot of places and you can gain experience and build it a little at the time and when you break something you ain't hunting a ride because you still have your good looking reliable DD sitting there waiting on you. We are all speaking from experience. It sucks big time to break something on the trail and that's what brought you there and has to get you home and to work the next day. In the end it's your truck and your money. Good luck. What will you drive while it is being SASed. Again good luck with it either way.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Supra 4x4
I think I would just buy an older already built rig and keep the Runner for a dd.
I agree 100%. You have a very good looking reliable DD. Keep it the way it is and buy a older rig or a beat up newer rig. Even a stock older 4x4 Toyota will go alot of places and you can gain experience and build it a little at the time and when you break something you ain't hunting a ride because you still have your good looking reliable DD sitting there waiting on you. We are all speaking from experience. It sucks big time to break something on the trail and that's what brought you there and has to get you home and to work the next day. In the end it's your truck and your money. Good luck. What will you drive while it is being SASed. Again good luck with it either way.[/QUOTE]

Wise words there. I was once a college kid with a race car as a daily driver-didn't work out that well, I probably lost some friends b/c they got tired of me bumming rides b/c mine was always in the shop!

I would love to have an SAS'd third gen, but for me the future more likely holds a older already built rig rather than an SAS'd third gen-it's just plain cheaper.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:33 PM
Banned

I'll look into an 85 maybe. I supercharge this one with all the fuel mods and turn it into a tow rig and fun daily driver.

I would love to have an SASed 3rd gen, I guess I dont want to cost it as it is my daily driver.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:11 PM

if u want, is still believe josh is selling his truck http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...t=47176&page=1
Old 10-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

Jeeze, just buy my 89 & come get it...way less than SAS'ing yours. S.C. title in hand...

Sorry off topic.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Banned

found a good deal on a lot of crap.. i think im just gonna convert to 4x4 and lock the front.. i mean gooooood deals.

then ill find a trail rig later
Old 10-14-2006, 06:32 AM

I give up, good luck.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:43 AM
Contributing Member

Atta boy Spence! I didn't end up with not one good clear picture of your truck Spence. I am doing a bunch of sketches of some of the pictures from River Rock, sort of a Off Road Series kind of thing.... I really wanted to do one of yours...but I didnt really get a good clear picture...If you have any good "action" shots of your rig, I'd love to get a look at em.

So Far, I have done Wesley's 85 Pickup. Clays 4Runner (dont know the year), and Eric's pickup (before/after the roll), Im not sure of ERics year either, I think its an 84... I want to do yours, and the FJ, and maybe Marc's (that Exo would be a LOT of work) and probably Kyle little 88 runner, and see what else I come up with...Thanks guys!
Old 10-14-2006, 09:51 AM
Banned

Spence its either that, parts = 900 bucks.. or trade in and loose 2000 on a 99 with e locker and more miles then mine? only one I found. I have looked in 200 miles and not one is less then 13000 that is decent. This 99 is not even near me. its in a carmax in Chicago.

Its easier said then done yes but its also easier said then done finding an older rig that wasnt abused or is in good shape.

Lots of delimas here but this is my safest bet

Quick Reply: River Rock Pics