Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

I finally needed a tug..

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 12:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I finally needed a tug..

I've always been really lucky when it comes to getting stuck, but tonight I screwed up.

We decided to do some night wheeling (two 4Runners and a Cherokee) because I had a friend with me and she'd only been 4 wheeling once before (with me). So, we decided to take a rough trail for vehicles with open differentials. There is a series of hills, each one gets a little bit worse. The last one is extremely long and steep and at the top is a big rut with a tree growing next to it. The root from the tree crosses the trail right at the top of the rut but you can kind of go around it to the right (the way everyone else went). I decided to go up the steepest part of the step and couldn't make it up. I couldn't really back up because I slid along the side of the root and if I backed up it woulda put my front tire in another rut and I was uncertain how far it'd make me lean, everyone thought I'd roll if I did back up too far. The other 4runner hooked up but still couldn't pull me up it before his tires started slipping. I finially made it up going as close to the tree as I could (on the left).

I've made it up that way before, even with some snow on the ground, but I just couldn't tonight. I think other vehicles getting stuck there screwed it up because there was a big hole already dug near it.

It was an interesting night... fun but it scared the hell out of Leann who'd never been on anything like that before. The smell of burnt rubber from my tire spinning against the root was horrible lol.

Just thought I'd share... and at least it was another Toyota trying to help me out.

Bryan

Last edited by az4x4runner; 08-10-2004 at 12:53 AM.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHere's the pics???
Old 08-10-2004, 04:46 PM

Not trying to be the party pooper but it does not sound like IMO the tread lightly policy was being followed. I know you didn't make the ruts all by yourself or cause the tree's root's to grow out of the side of the rut's. But there comes a time in every trail's life that it get's hammered on. It sound's as if that obstacle has been hit hard and need's to be shut down. You said there are a series of trail's in the area right? I would block that section where the tree's rooting system is in danger. Fill the hole in and let nature repair it if possible. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Time to get a locker
Old 08-11-2004, 01:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
WHere's the pics???
I don't have a camera that can take pics in low light.

Originally Posted by Pretacopower
Time to get a locker
Definitely. Soon I hope, but probably not...

and BBB, you're probably right about the trail needing some time to repair itself. I don't go there often, it's actually been quite a while and it never was that bad before. The trail forks at a point before those hills, both directions go to the same road, one through some really rocky area and one up those gnarly hills. I wouldn't be surprised if the FS does close it, they are cutting a lot of trees near there and will probably notice the trail has been torn up pretty bad.

Guess we'll see what happens... I might miss it a little though if it's closed.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

Can't you just go back to the trail and fill it in? Maybe that way it wont get closed due to the damage.