Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 11:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death Valley ~ March 8 – 13

Pictures here!
Video in a few weeks as time permits!

Attendance
1988 4Runner – Driving, Me. Riding, Harvey.
1986 Turbo Pickup – Driving, Felix. Riding, His Bro.

Weather (My guesses)
Day: High of about 90, Low of about 60
Night: High of about 45, Low of about 35

Tuesday
’86 Turbo got new tires
Left Hayward, CA around 11am
Took 99 down to Bakersfield and entered DV through 190.
Camped at unknown mine.

Wednesday
Gas in Panamint Springs
Panamint Valley Rd to Ballrat Ghost Town
Ran north-most Surprise Canyon wash to gate
Wingate Rd to Goler Wash – Awesome Canyon! (Reminds me of Titus only skinnier)
Explored Keystone Mine and some unmarked mines.
Camped on the side of the road.

Thursday
West Side Rd to Furnace Creek
Gas in Furnace Creek, Topped off tanks at Scotty’s Castle.
Pictures at Ubehebe Crater
Death Valley Rd North to Oriental Wash
Explored some unknown mines
Camped at unknown mine on Gold Mtn.

Friday
Took Death Valley Road North, South Eureka Rd to Eureka Sand Dunes
Steel Pass to Saline Valley Hot Springs
Ran into a stranded Land Rover who blew two tires (same side, same rock).

This is where the story gets interesting… We found the family about 15 minutes after they blew their tires. Husband, Wife and their two kids. A couple in a Ford Truck had run across them about 5 minutes after they blew out. I had three extra seats so we packed them up and took them to the Hot Springs. That night we went back for the other tire (we only took one with us earlier) and on the way I blew out a tire being dumb and going way to fast. We camped with them that night and a business deal struck up between us and them. He offered us $1000 (to split 4 ways) plus gas and food to get his family out of the valley and to get him new tires and get his car out. That sounded fair to us.

Camped at Saline Valley Hot Springs

Saturday
Exited the valley through Saline Valley Road
Went north to Lone Pine where a Tire Shop happened to have two 255/55 R18’s. Dropped the family off at a hotel, got his tires replaced and got a used spare for my rim.
Continued North on 395 and took Saline Valley Rd back into the valley and to the Land Rover.

On the way we ran across a man suffering from heat stroke. Their was a couple camped with him so we left them some fruit juice to get the man’s body to heat back up. Got the tires on the Land Rover and continued back to the Hot Springs. Enjoyed dinner and packed up. Left the springs and continued back out Saline Valley Rd. On the way out we ran into a very stuck RV. It was buried to its hubs and its rear bumper had sunk into the sand while crossing a wash. We Hi-Lifted the RV, put some wood and rocks under the tires, attached two ‘Yotas together and pulled the RV out.

Camped at a random mine after seeing our new Land Rover friend onto pavement.

Sunday
Woke up to a defective tire on the 1986 Turbo (Tire Bubbled). The wheel was locked to the chain mechanism so we drilled the lock and got the spare tire on the vehicle.

Exited the valley through 190, South on 395, North on 99 and stopped in Modesto for Dinner at my friends house. Got back to Walnut Creek around 9pm.

Break down

All in all it was an amazing trip. The trucks did really well, the weather was great, the scenery was awesome (especially the wild flowers!) and the bonding time was great! Picking up the stranded family was great fun for us and them! The kids loved us and can’t wait for their next wheeling trip with the fam. There is a legend about the 2 yotas doing search and rescue from North to South in DV. Anywhere we went people new us as the two yotas who rescued a bunch of people. It was fun.

What we learned

The hi-lift, recovery straps, recovery gear and my air compressor and tank we’re needed. We also carried 5 gallons of extra gas and a bunch of extra hoses and wire. The only thing we were really lacking was outside communication. With the money I got from the Land Rover recovery, I’m going to buy a Ham Radio. Always carry a spare and never wheel alone.

Last edited by JoKEpLaYeR; 03-16-2005 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:10 AM
Contributing Member

Wild Flowers in DV
Attached Thumbnails -dvflowers.jpg  
Old 03-15-2005, 07:49 AM

Great write-up. Look forward to the pictures. Hope our trip to DV in 2 weeks time is less eventful in relation to tires!

Did you find your CB was insufficient for comms and hence the desire for the Ham?
Old 03-15-2005, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, the CB works great for car to car communication but there were two times this trip where hitting up a repeater and calling a tire store or the local authorities would have been very helpful. I got compensated so well for my rescue efforts that I decided I would spend the money on a ham rig and take the test. I ordered an ICOM 207H dual band last night and also picked up a radio shack scanner. I'm working on getting pictures up right now.

Last edited by JoKEpLaYeR; 03-15-2005 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

Pictures here!
Old 03-15-2005, 05:10 PM

Great photos - thanks for sharing
Old 03-15-2005, 06:10 PM

Great photos, it would be cool to get a few more action shots but can't beat the scenery pics
Old 03-15-2005, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by todaguy
Great photos, it would be cool to get a few more action shots but can't beat the scenery pics
We brought 2 video camera's for the action shots! I have to get the tapes from my friends and then I'll assemble a video!
Old 03-15-2005, 07:11 PM

That's one of the coolest trip reports I've ever read here. So that guy directs the show "Made in America" with the guy from Cheers? And he drives an import, and was rescued by two imports. Love it. Don't get me wrong, I like that show. I like a good dose of irony, too, though. Also, I just saw a report on NBC nightly news about the flowers in DV right now. Made me want to see more so thanks for sharing your pictures.
-Michael
Old 03-15-2005, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Newdad
That's one of the coolest trip reports I've ever read here. So that guy directs the show "Made in America" with the guy from Cheers? And he drives an import, and was rescued by two imports. Love it. Don't get me wrong, I like that show. I like a good dose of irony, too, though. Also, I just saw a report on NBC nightly news about the flowers in DV right now. Made me want to see more so thanks for sharing your pictures.
-Michael
Yeah, that is a good bit of irony. Cliff (the mailman from Cheers) is the guy on the show - I don't remember his real name. The director was a cool guy and hanging out with him and his family made our trip really cool.

If you can get down there, the wildflowers are amazing! Between snow, cows, wildflowers and the other random things the valley contains, it really is an amazing place!!!
Old 03-16-2005, 06:52 PM

Great write up! Now I'm really looking forward to our first trip to DV the day after Easter.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:42 PM

man...what a baddass trip...wheeling, learning AND helping some folks out. KILLER~!
Old 03-16-2005, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome to YotaTech SnwJnky! I grew up in Walnut Creek. What kinda yota you running?

Death Valley is a very interesting place and offers a wide variety of things to do and see. Don't wheel alone! I'm not sure how hot it will get by easter, but it hit 90 when I was down there.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the welcome. I'm runnin' a stock '03 double cab Tacoma 4x trd - Mods to come later. Glad I got mine before the new style change, not too crazy about it. Ours will be a family trip without gettin' too outa control, but believe me, it will be gettin' some off road time. I'll have too remember to bring the camera. Woo Hoo!