GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

CB Wiring... Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CB Wiring... Help please!

I wired in my CB today, ran everything, and ran my coxial cable, and went to run my ground and hot, I grounded it, and ran my hot to the Cig Lighter fuse spot and when I shut my truck off the stereo stayed on and the CB shut off, oddly enough I can't run my wiring to anything else in the fuse block above the drivers side kick panel, where did you guys run your hot wire to? Everything worked ok, just when I shut the truck off the radio stayed on and I have no idea why..
Old 05-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
is it the stock stereo?
why can't you tap into anything else on the fuse block?
Old 05-17-2008, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's weird man. IMO the radio is wired into a remote turn on, atleast my deck and subs are.
try tapping into the stereo power. I'm curious too, cus I'm wiring one up later this week.

Why can't you wire near the fuse box?
Old 05-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Banned

Its an aftermarket stereo, how do I wire to the stereo? I just ran it to the engine on the fuse block near the kickpanel for now, I guess it works, I just wish I could use it when my key was on accessory... Anyone else got ideas? Anything else on the fuseblock would be my wipers, brake lights, headlights and crap which kinda sucks if you can only use your cb when you step on the brakes or have your wipers on..
Old 05-17-2008, 02:57 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The radio maybe wired somehow into the cig lighter circuit.

And yes you can run the hotwire anywhere their is juice. Do this: Take it off the way it is now, then wire it to a wire thats hot. Its that simple. I have mine wired to an auxillary fuse block myself.

What I would do in your case is buy a fusetap or an add a fuse thingy and use that, makes wiring very easy.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Trustyrusty
Its an aftermarket stereo, how do I wire to the stereo? I just ran it to the engine on the fuse block near the kickpanel for now, I guess it works, I just wish I could use it when my key was on accessory... Anyone else got ideas? Anything else on the fuseblock would be my wipers, brake lights, headlights and crap which kinda sucks if you can only use your cb when you step on the brakes or have your wipers on..

ahhhhhh, ok. The stuff on the fuse panel is hot with ignition on. You can "tap" into the wipers fuse all day long. Your cb will work with that just fine. Make sence? If you want the memory function on your cb to maintain a memory, then tap into the brake light fuse because it's hot regardless of key position. My cb is hot wired into the cigarette lighter, grounded and then my memory is retained from an auxiulary power block.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:51 AM
Banned

The brakelights don't work I tried tapping into that... I need to figure out how to maintain memory, and wire it in...wipers no bueno' too
Old 05-18-2008, 09:05 AM

dude, think outside the box. wire it directly to the battery, and put an inline fuse on that. its that simple
Old 05-18-2008, 09:58 AM
Banned

It's already got an inline fuse, I guess I could do that, I just wired it to the wipers for now but it only works when the engine is running.. I want something to work when the truck is on accessory..
Old 05-18-2008, 10:46 AM
CJM

Ok then here is what you do:

Go out and buy (or if you got one) a test light. Find a good ground and put the key to acc. Then go to the fuse pane and touch and every fuse and whichever one lights up the testlight that means its hot on acc. Simply tap that and your good to go.

Your making this much more difficult than it is. If you dont have much of a clue of what your doing then I suggest you get someone who does to help you.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:13 AM

dude just run a line directly to the battery.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CJM
Ok then here is what you do:

Go out and buy (or if you got one) a test light. Find a good ground and put the key to acc. Then go to the fuse pane and touch and every fuse and whichever one lights up the testlight that means its hot on acc. Simply tap that and your good to go.

Your making this much more difficult than it is. If you dont have much of a clue of what your doing then I suggest you get someone who does to help you.
Haha, I already have a test light, I didn't think of that, I was just trying to use the fuse panel inside, the only accessory items that light up when the key is on ACC are 7.5 volts, I need 12..
Old 05-18-2008, 04:18 PM
CJM

Uh are you reading the 7.5 amp fuse from the cig lighter? Cause last I checked everything in there is 12v.

Honestly I ran a heavy gauge wire from the battery + to an add on fuse panel and use that for everything. Same principle tho..

I have mine wired to be on anytime I want, same for my lights and stereo, just dont forget to shut it off.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Banned

Dunno if you thought of this, but my truck is over ten years older then your truck, which is a T-100... So the fusepanel by the drivers side kickplate is most likely a bit different.. Unless you were thinking of my Tacoma, I should have specified...
Old 05-18-2008, 05:38 PM
CJM

Yes...wasnt sure.

I say you wire an auxiliary fuse panel, like i described its very easy to do and makes wiring a breeze.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:44 PM
Banned

Yeah, Looks like I'll just do an auxilary fuse panel, how do I wire one in? Anyone got a write up?
Old 05-18-2008, 07:07 PM
CJM

Supplies needed:
About 5 feet of 8 gauge or so heavy duty shielded automotive wire.
Eyelett that fits this wire to connect to the POSITIVE (+) terminal
Eyelett that fits the wire to connect to your fuse panel
1 wire nut to go over the end of the connection on the fuse panel
1 auxiliary fuse panel, napa sells them for about 10 bucks. I have one that has 6 outlets.
Appropriate fuses for the device your hooking up.
Spade terminal end (female) that connects to the fuse panel tap
Wire stripper/crimper
Electrical tape-tape all connections!
Di-electric grease

Make sure the battery is DISCONNECTED!

Get some heavy gauge wire, 8 gauge or so should do it. Wire this into your Positive (+) battery terminal. I simply put an eyelett on it and took off the one nut and put the eyelett on and put the nut back on. Doesnt have to be fancy.

Then wire the end of that wire into an fuse holder w/ 30 amp fuse or better or a 30 amp or better circuit breaker fuse (I like the circuit breaker fuse, it doesnt blow, it just turns off if tripped and when it cools down it will allow you to use the stuff again and it has screw ends so it cant come off). Wire the rest of the wire into the other end of the fuse holder/circuit breaker.

Then wire that into the new fuse panel, put some di-electric grease on the end to keep corrosion and water out and and cap that with a wirenut. I mounted my fuse panel on the firewall with some screws.

Thats it, your done. It cannot be any simpler. Just hook your wire into one of the power outs for the fuse panel and ground that device wherever.

You may find you need to extend the wire for whatever device you have. I suggest you also pick up some 12 or 14 gauge wire (higher the number the smaller diameter of wire) and a box of different connectors at your local auto store.

Last edited by CJM; 05-18-2008 at 07:09 PM.