Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Rear Panel Speakers for 91 4Runner ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Panel Speakers for 91 4Runner ?

I see where I can replace these with either a 5-1/4" or 6-1/2", based on information at Crutchfield but is one or both a direct drop in replacement for the factory speaker? Any modifications needed for a 6-1/2"?

I've found directions, online, on how to install a new head unit. Does anyone know where I could find directions on the install of the rear speakers?
Old 12-28-2004, 07:18 PM

IMO, dont...

just get a set of kick ass 6.5" speakes for the front doors.

then get an equally kick ass amp to power them and you are set...
Old 12-28-2004, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by twosocks
I see where I can replace these with either a 5-1/4" or 6-1/2", based on information at Crutchfield but is one or both a direct drop in replacement for the factory speaker? Any modifications needed for a 6-1/2"?

I've found directions, online, on how to install a new head unit. Does anyone know where I could find directions on the install of the rear speakers?
Assuming ours our the same, which they should be (i'm a 94), for 6 1/2s you need to cut the box that stock speakers come in (cause they're 5 inchers), or just not even use them. I used the boxes because it resounded better, but its your choice.

Now that I've done it all tho, I know you could easily fit some kickin 9 1/2 (or whatever was the next size, isnt it 9 1/2?) for some louder sound, because its not as loud as I'd hoped sometimes (even with great speakers, but i don't have them hooked to an amp tho). And a lot of people, like the person above stated, put 6 1/2s in the door. I just didn't want to go and cut the door, I wanted to leave the car in as mint condition as possible and if and when I sell all I need to do is stop by walmart and get cheapos to replace.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by 94yotarunner
because its not as loud as I'd hoped sometimes (even with great speakers, but i don't have them hooked to an amp tho). And a lot of people, like the person above stated, put 6 1/2s in the door.
there's your problem...

no amp. nothing will make thoise speakers sing like a great amp.

amp in the head unit is crap.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by ldivinag
there's your problem...

no amp. nothing will make thoise speakers sing like a great amp.

amp in the head unit is crap.

I know that an amp WOULD make it much louder. Let me reword what I said. Sometimes theres songs where I'd like to blow out my ears and have great quality. I can do it right now but it'd sound like crap. Also, sometimes I park my car and I like to hear it from the outside, which I can't. Again, I probably could but it'd sound like crap. But right now with an amp just on the sub it still sings when I'm IN the car, I usually have the volume half of its max, maybe 3/4 of its max and when I get my song and I turn it up it sounds awesome.

Instead of spending much more money on an amp for my speakers I would have rather sprung the extra cash for bigger speakers in the back (9 1/2s or 9s, whichever size they are exactly) and had it a tad louder... but as it is my liscence plate shakes and you can feel the car shaking (full volume with the windows closed), and it hurts to sit in it full volume without having the windows down.

AND with quality speakers, a 10 inch sub and a sweet amp for it, my bass sounds SO tight and the speakers are SO crisp, when I put on Eric Clapton or Jimmy Hendrix I can almost see them in my rear view mirror.

I actually rather have that than bounce down the street now that I think about it.

But yeah, as he's stated if you have the money and really want it then just amp up good speakers and its done with. You can get amps Alpine specifically) for the speakers and the sub for like 600.

Last edited by 94yotarunner; 12-29-2004 at 05:34 AM.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:08 PM

it's not the matter of making it louder OUTSIDE.

it's for making it sound better INSIDE. with an amp, you have that extra leeway with getting a louder sound WITHOUT distortion.

one reason i dont like to install rear speakers, and you can search my previous posts here, is that unless done VERY WELL, rear speakers, like the bigger ones you are describing tend to drag the image to the... well... REAR.

also, while multichannel software is out there, in the mobile environement, stereo is STILL KING.

that's why a 2 channel setup is still the norm.

so setup a nice 6.5" components in the front doors and a subwoofer somewhere, amped, with a really nice amp, will sound better than a headunit amped setup.

loud does not nece-celery ( ) mean good sound...
Old 12-30-2004, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by ldivinag
it's not the matter of making it louder OUTSIDE.

it's for making it sound better INSIDE. with an amp, you have that extra leeway with getting a louder sound WITHOUT distortion.

one reason i dont like to install rear speakers, and you can search my previous posts here, is that unless done VERY WELL, rear speakers, like the bigger ones you are describing tend to drag the image to the... well... REAR.

also, while multichannel software is out there, in the mobile environement, stereo is STILL KING.

that's why a 2 channel setup is still the norm.

so setup a nice 6.5" components in the front doors and a subwoofer somewhere, amped, with a really nice amp, will sound better than a headunit amped setup.

loud does not nece-celery ( ) mean good sound...
I just meant it was nice to be able to have music when camping, then it is a matter of being louder on the outside.

But then, if thats all you need it for, my speakers are Alpine type R, 4 inchers in the front and 6 1/2 component in the back, and I get NO distortion up to any volume anyone would really want to listen to, amazing type crisp sound... and my speakers aren't amped... if I ever were to put in a good amp to these speakers I really can't imagine how loud it would get... its already so amazingly crisp at such a high volume.
I angled my back speakers a little forward to have better acoustics and to make sure its fully and equally audible throughout the car, not just bouncing around in the back which is what I think you mean, but I'll agree. The acoustics of the 2nd Gen, without making new holes and putting door speakers, have much bigger speakers in the back and it can sound unbalanced.

Ofcourse, amping a head unit I agree is useless.

And have a tight little single sub in the back, in a box which I think makes the sound even tighter....

I pity the fool who amps their head unit and spends so much doing so.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:06 AM

First off I find it kinda funny that the person who asked the question hasn't even chimed in... is he reading any of this?

Now that I think about it, if you're willing to cut up your doors I'd go with this:

Front 4 inchers, back 5.5-6.5 inchers, maybe even component, put the tweeters up in the other holes above the tailgate. (I'm about reading to even toss some 3 inchers in there, but thats my own idea.) Then put some nice 6x9 or 6 1/2s in the front doors, and if you want to have a hearing aid by 50 yrs old, toss in an amp to amp it all up along with your sub. THAT would be a sick setup, although it'd require a good amount of money (for nice speakers and equipment ofcourse) but it'd sing and well. Amp wise, I'd go with a 10 inch, 12 inch at MOST, just because I don't like to have my car bounce at the horrible beat of a lousy amp... thats just me.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:14 AM

Chiming In.........

I'd venture to say that those of you that have replied are younger than I am, as I'm about 3 weeks from my 47th.

Believe me, over the years I have had quite a few vehicles with multiple component speakers, tri-amped and subs. My best work was my 90 Jetta that had was filled with Polk Audio component speakers, Soundstream amps and subs.

Of course, riding in the Jetta for a few years is probably the reason my right ear rings (hisses) all the time. The dr. says that it's nerve damage and it's something I'm just going to have to live with. I tried to get him to tell my wife that it was caused by having to listen to Country Music whenever I rode with her, but he wouldn't go along with it.

Anyway, here's what I had planned on doing with the Toyota:

4" Component speaker in the factory spot with the tweater either at the top of the door or on the column above the vent.

Either a 5-1/4" or 6-1/2" component set up in the rear panel with the tweater up in the spot above the tailgate.

Everything will be amped and for the sub, I either make a box for a single 10" or if I have a lazy just buy a 10" Bazooka, as I want something that can be removed from time to time.

Thanks to everyone for all your input, it has helped me come to a conclusion on what I want to do.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:28 PM

5-1/4" speakers dont fit in the factory spots on the back panels. i just bought Infinity Refrence 5002i and they are to big for the factory spots. should i just make the hole bigger or get smaller speakers?
Old 01-22-2005, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4runner4x4
5-1/4" speakers dont fit in the factory spots on the back panels. i just bought Infinity Refrence 5002i and they are to big for the factory spots. should i just make the hole bigger or get smaller speakers?
If they're like mine, you got a small box where the speaker goes to resonate sound. If you open it up a little with an electric saw, you can fix larger up to 6 1/2s in. Thats the most I fit in them because you start to get deep. If you don't use the box you can probably fit 6x9s.

Last edited by 94yotarunner; 01-22-2005 at 11:30 PM.