Virginia Virginia Chapter

SUMMER! Passed Safety and Emissions... Sweeeeet...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SUMMER! Passed Safety and Emissions... Sweeeeet...

Totally stoked, thought for sure my exhaust would have failed me. You never know what's going to surprise you with these older trucks so I got in line prepared to fail both knowing neither could be that bad since so much is new on this truck. I kinda like having this in early spring so I don't spend all summer modding non critical stuff only to find I have some expensive repair.

Gonna do the double horn mod, jarr my under bed spare loose, throw it away and replace it with a real one. Am cosidering a swing out rear tire carrier since I have another real spare. Trying to control the urge to install a radiator destroying hitch to keep rear enders from leaving the scene like last summer.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:47 AM
Contributing Member

I recently got my 4Runner inspected and forgot to get covers the front fog lights. The Shell station inspector was a nice fella, does alot of offroad 4x4s and told me to pick-up some covers at PepBoys just in case the police stop me. No biggie.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Originally Posted by Roadrunner
I recently got my 4Runner inspected and forgot to get covers the front fog lights. The Shell station inspector was a nice fella, does alot of offroad 4x4s and told me to pick-up some covers at PepBoys just in case the police stop me. No biggie.
Why do you need covers for fog lights in VA, or are they bumper mounted driving lights? Does that affect the factory ones as well?
Old 04-25-2004, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

I got my truck emissions inspected on Friday. The guy didn't even hook up the exhaust thing, or run it on the treadmill ... all he did was reach in under the dash hook it up to an OBD scanner .. and printed out the paper that I passed. $14 for an OBD scan?!?!!? I could have gone to aadvanced and had it read for free and given him the results. :wtf:
Old 04-25-2004, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

My fogs are on my bumper. Fog lights are no problem if they are below the headlights. I don't know the exact language, but I believe any light at the same level or above the headlights are treated as auxiliary or offroad lights. These technically need to be covered on the roads. If they are covered at the time of inspection, they are not checked.

Virginia Motor Vehicle Regs

Originally Posted by rwmorrisonjr
Why do you need covers for fog lights in VA, or are they bumper mounted driving lights? Does that affect the factory ones as well?
Old 04-25-2004, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Cool, sounds good. My driving lights are covered so they won't be a problem.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:09 PM

ive never hada problem with my fogs that are on my bumper, no covers. the only rule is that you can have no more that 4 foreward facin lights, this includes factory fogs, maybe thats why he told you to get covers. the only rule is that you have to have them wired to the high beams, and they cant be above the factory head lights. i call BS, cause i have 4 driving lights on my roof that i can turn on anytime, and I passed no problem
Old 04-26-2004, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

I think this is the inspection reg the inspector was refering to when he checked my 4Runner:

Motor Vehicle Safety Inspection Rules and Regulations, Section 530: Auxiliary

"EXCEPTION: Any lighting device which is both covered and not illuminated, other than lamps required or permitted by this manual, shall not be considered for inspection."

"11. Fog lamps are not required. However, if installed they must operate and be inspected.

Inspect for and reject if:

f. Any fog lamp is mounted above the level of the regular headlamps, or is not mounted firmly."