Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gorilla winch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 07:45 AM

gorilla winch?

Has anyone tired or heard of them? Ive read some stuff and people say their almost identical inside the gorilla has a slightly bigger motor and a little less spool capacity as its same sized warn brothers.

http://www.gorillawinches.com/gorill...ery-series.htm

But the thing is their really cheap and Im wondering If their worth it? Are these just warns with diffrent labels? Ive never owned a winch before but used them quiet a bit on our LAV's so im no stranger to doing 2-4 point hook ups and hooking up 4 vehicals at once (camp lejeune has some very dirty trails).

Bottom line for those that know these smaller wiches... is it worth it?
Old 07-08-2007, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im interested but until the SAS is done im broke hehe
Old 07-08-2007, 10:25 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally, I view a winch as a life/death device, and it's somewhere I would definitely stick with a known brand name. Check out Tmaxx and Superwinch for a good winch for the money
Old 07-22-2007, 12:26 PM

only thing I think of when people only using "known" brands is that, at one point, they were unknown brands as well. Put out the money to get whatever you like as long as researching shows its a decent piece. If it fails then let us know
Old 07-24-2007, 09:46 AM

I am running an "unknown" winch on my 87 SAS truck. It is the Harbor Freight Chicago Electrical tools 8000lb winch. It is identical to the Milemarker E8000 that I have had on my 94 since 2002. The Milemarker besides being slow has never failed. With the money I saved buying it I was easily able to put Masterpull synthetic winchline on it. These winches are identical to another well known brand winch Ramsey REP8000 as well.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

I can guarantee you that the harbor freight winch has cheaper, lower quality internals than your mile marker. I can also tell you that the ramsey is better than your mile marker.

Whoever said something about known brands being unknown at one time....hello.......WARN has been around forever, so has RAMSEY. They've proven themselves with severe use. MileMarker is sometimes hit or miss but generally not bad.

The old adage in the auto industry still applies, and use it wisely:
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

Trust me on this.

www.winchdepot.com for good prices, btw.

Oh, and the Tabor winches, they're made by warn as a cheaper alternative, but direct from the horses mouth, they're not made with as high quality components as the Warn brethren.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ric
on the other hand, something is better than nothing, (as long as it works)

IMO, if you can't afford a mid-line winch, you might be better off with a beefy come-along. May require more umph, but just think, you'll have a superman arm when you're done with recovery
Old 07-25-2007, 01:31 PM

Buy a T-max... Warns are great (hell I live down the road from Warn's home office here in Portland) but having used T-max's over in Australia, and seeing them be truly "fully submersible" I feel like they are flat out the toughest winches around. Warn makes a really great winch no doubt, very reliable and a home grown favorite around here. Take your pick.

Dave