Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Elocker problems are killing me!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elocker problems are killing me!

I had a factory elocker installed by a friend. He was working at a toyota shop and said it was an easy instal. I made it easier with an already modded housing. After getting the tuck back locked i had a friend build a harnes. The locker didnt work. Thinking the harnes was bad i had another one built. Nothing! i tried to hook up direc power as i was reading would move the motor and it was clearly bound up. So i had the guy that installed it come by and reset the motor. Heres the issue.

HE pulled the motor and reset it. Just trying to get it unlocked we hooked up the power to just go full on unlock. It bound up. We reset it again and tried lock first. the motor works now unlock and it works then binds. The rear is still locked. Im tired of this and need to get tires in a bad way. I dont want to get tires yet because the locker being locked is killing them fast. My tires were gone in maybe 3k miles.

Does anyone have any idea what i can do to fix this and unlock the locker.Id like it to rok the way its supposed to but even just get it unlocked so i can get tires alighn the truck and enjoy driving it for a few weeks? I rather just set it up right but at this point i will take about anything.

If your local and know how to fix this him me up forsure!

Thanks Russell
Old 04-14-2007, 07:51 AM

For a temporary solution, jack up one tire, remove the elocker motor, take a flashlight and look in the hole where the motor gear goes into the diff. You will see a arm like fork that should be positioned to the left (if it is locked). To unlock it, simply take a screwdriver and flip the lever to the right. If it?s difficult to move the lever, rotate the wheel that is jacked up to relive the binding.

Are you using the limit switches in the motor when you are testing?
What wiring diagram did you use?
Old 04-14-2007, 11:09 AM

You alredy diagnosed your own problem, your locker motor binds up ya? So stop being cheapo and replace it (granted yer second friend mickey-moused harness right and is any better than first friend that do not know how to unlock a elocker).
"Manualy" unlocking a locker is a snap as a man above mentioned
Old 04-14-2007, 02:06 PM

ok i didnt know if the motor binds it needs replaced. im going to manualy unlock the locker and then i guess buy a new motor. If i would have known thats what it needed i would have done it but nobody seems to know this locker. The guy that installed it said he did but from the last 2 post on here i now know more about it then him lol.

ok i will give the manual unlock a try and post how it works out.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:08 PM

I bet there is nothing wrong with your motor...

"After a few times of this the motor got stuck! What had happened is that the mechanism reached its mechanical limit and the motor stopped while the brushes were in an intermediate phase between two poles. At this stage, the motor is shorted out and won't move in either direction. I removed the mechanism, but wasn?t able to easily turn the motor's drive gear. Plus I was wary of turning the gear too far because there are limit switches in the gear mechanism that indicate when the locker is locked or unlocked. These switches are what actually supposed control the motor. Since these switches are in the gear mechanism and not in the locker, I was afraid of changing the relation between the drive gear and the itself locker, thus throwing off the limit switches. Maybe it doesn?t matter, but I didn?t want to take any chances.
So I decided to disassemble the mechanism. I removed the metal shield and then removed the round motor cover. This turned out to actually be the stator itself. When I pulled it off, the rotor was right there in plain sight. Sure enough, the brushes were shorting out. I turned the rotor slightly and put the cover back on. However the magnets in the cover pulled the rotor crooked when I put it back on. So I pulled the cover back off. This time the rotor came out with it (due to the magnets) and the brushes and springs shot out! Also, there are ball bearings on either end of the shaft and the lower one fell out.
Needless to say, it was a challenge to put it back together. I fashioned little metal clips that I could use to hold the brushes in place while I put the rotor back in. The lower ball bearing kept falling out, so I stuck it in the bottom receptacle for the shaft and everything seemed to fit. Once I got the rotor back in, I removed the clips holding the brushes in and put the housing back on. The housing has three screws, and there are protrusions by two of them that fit into holes in the casing. So, be sure to get in on right."

Check out this write up. It does a great job covering the elocker install.
http://67.122.16.97/carterman/4runner/mods/locker/

This is how I wired up my elocker.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/wiring-elocker-power-antenna-switch-110715/
Old 04-15-2007, 07:59 PM

I read through that. We tried to do that but the motor is binding up. Its not that its at the limits its more like its binding. If you try to turn the armature by hand it gets really hard to turn while in the 3rd. if you go one way its tight and will go through loose and hard spots if you go the other way(i assume lock) it gets really easy and will eventually pop out unless theres a good amount of pressure on it. We must have reset those brushes and put that thing together and took it apart 10 times friday night.
We knew we could get it to pass its limits so we tried for it to unlock that way. IT binds before the locker will unlock. I wonder if the Armature is bent or something. Maybe the bearings not in flush. Im going to manualy unlock this if i can figure it out and either find another motor to try,play with this more or go manual. its been a headache so far and i fear the worst. Maybe i will get luck and figure it out with out anymore money tied up in it.
Originally Posted by MtnToys
I bet there is nothing wrong with your motor...

"After a few times of this the motor got stuck! What had happened is that the mechanism reached its mechanical limit and the motor stopped while the brushes were in an intermediate phase between two poles. At this stage, the motor is shorted out and won't move in either direction. I removed the mechanism, but wasn?t able to easily turn the motor's drive gear. Plus I was wary of turning the gear too far because there are limit switches in the gear mechanism that indicate when the locker is locked or unlocked. These switches are what actually supposed control the motor. Since these switches are in the gear mechanism and not in the locker, I was afraid of changing the relation between the drive gear and the itself locker, thus throwing off the limit switches. Maybe it doesn?t matter, but I didn?t want to take any chances.
So I decided to disassemble the mechanism. I removed the metal shield and then removed the round motor cover. This turned out to actually be the stator itself. When I pulled it off, the rotor was right there in plain sight. Sure enough, the brushes were shorting out. I turned the rotor slightly and put the cover back on. However the magnets in the cover pulled the rotor crooked when I put it back on. So I pulled the cover back off. This time the rotor came out with it (due to the magnets) and the brushes and springs shot out! Also, there are ball bearings on either end of the shaft and the lower one fell out.
Needless to say, it was a challenge to put it back together. I fashioned little metal clips that I could use to hold the brushes in place while I put the rotor back in. The lower ball bearing kept falling out, so I stuck it in the bottom receptacle for the shaft and everything seemed to fit. Once I got the rotor back in, I removed the clips holding the brushes in and put the housing back on. The housing has three screws, and there are protrusions by two of them that fit into holes in the casing. So, be sure to get in on right."

Check out this write up. It does a great job covering the elocker install.
http://67.122.16.97/carterman/4runner/mods/locker/

This is how I wired up my elocker.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110715
Old 04-15-2007, 08:10 PM

go to downey and spend the money to get the cable kit for your locker.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:40 AM

id rather not dump more money in this thing..I really dont have it now because i had this installed. I should have done it myself and knew it then i just thought id help out a friend who i thought knew more about it then me. I thought he would have no issues working at a toyota only shop
Old 04-18-2007, 12:58 AM

ok its testing time i wil be report back once i find out Everyone cross your fingers!!
Old 04-18-2007, 01:55 AM

Ok it works now on the switch and everything.

heres what we did. We pulled the motor rebuilt the relay set up so we knew it would be right. When we pulled the motor we turned it tel it stopped and then the other way tel it stopped and then centered it. in the diff i found a huge glob of sealant that was right where the fork needed to move to unlock fully. It would do it but pushing against the rubber it would work its way back to lock. We only pulled the armature before. with that out of the way and everything centered it was fine tuning the motor and the diff together and we got it!!! led's work and everything WOOT!!!
Old 04-20-2007, 06:12 AM

I tried to help you with that, I printed some info that helped me with mine, I even called you 2 times, and left 2 messages with my number last weekend, guess you figured it out...
Old 04-20-2007, 10:53 PM

Good seein the rig Jason. That thing is pimp!!!!