Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

WALBRO Pump Installation Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WALBRO Pump Installation Question

I received the Walbro pump to day from Underdog Performance Corp and am wondering:
1) Should I install a new rubber gasket to the fuel suction plate?
2) Will the new pump stay securely in place against the L-bracket with only the rubber cushion to hold it in place or should I secure it further with a stainless strap?

I will probably take the vehicle to my mechanic because of weather conditions here right now, but I would love to do the job myself becaue I know that no one will be as careful as I will be. Has anyone done the pump replacement by merely running the vehicle up on four rhino ramps and using a hydraulic floor jack to lower the tank? I do not have a transmission jack. Is there enough clearance to work? Any tips would be appreciated although the directions that come from UPC are very good and coupled with the FSM manual instructions in SF-9 and SF-25 it looks very straight forward. TIA
Old 01-05-2004, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you know I sent a suggestion to gadget a few weeks back and I never got a response. I suggested that he make a video of the install. That way we could just pop in the video and follow along visually as well as the written instructions.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:58 PM

That's probably too over the top because the process is really very straight forward from what I can see, but I all I am interested in any nuances that those who have already installed the pump can provide, like the one about the second small wire harness on top of the tank that, if not undone, will rip out the wire harness (that information is on the UPC instruction sheet).

My vehicle only has 16000 miles on the odometer but I am thinking that it might be advisable to not only replace the fuel suction plate gasket but also replace all 8 bolts that secure the pump / sender plate with stainless bolts to the tank top so that later on it will be easier to get back inside. The Toyota hardware for the most part is crap and rusts like crazy, BUT I do not know what the spec's are on the OE bolts so that I can get replacements before I tear the whole thing apart. Do you follow my thinking here.... real anal.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:08 PM

The Walbro fuel pump install is complete and I took some pictures but they are really of little importance. I may post the picture that compares the two pumps that supports the fact that you have to cut off approximately 1/2" of the fuel line to compensate for the taller pump. My mechanic wanted to know why the suppliers of this pump kit could not go the extra mile and supply a complete harness instead of expecting the installer to cut and splice the Walbro connector. I can assure you that my guy has no problem making up any kind of harness but he was curious as to why the half measure when everything else was included. Of course, if the tube cut is the same on every vehicle, that also could have been part of the instruction sheet. I agree since you never know what level of expertise the person installing the pump has. I am not criticizing, just suggesting. I have not driven the car yet but will tomorrow but I do not expect to notice anything enlightening.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:47 PM

Here is a pic of the two pumps so you can get a fairly clear idea of the outlet variation.
Attached Thumbnails WALBRO Pump Installation Question-walbro-fuel-pump-installation-29jan04-013_a.jpg  
Old 02-13-2004, 01:44 PM

I am sure there are those who will say I am nuts, but......

I have been getting consistant 15+ mpg readings ever since the 7th injector installation. I installed the Walbro 190 pump and now I get 16+ mpg readings. I totally understand why this is true but cannot explain it in engineering terms. All I can say is, it's all about the flow

Time for Rona.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ManyMods
I am sure there are those who will say I am nuts, but......

I have been getting consistant 15+ mpg readings ever since the 7th injector installation. I installed the Walbro 190 pump and now I get 16+ mpg readings. I totally understand why this is true but cannot explain it in engineering terms. All I can say is, it's all about the flow

Time for Rona.
If the pump wasn't keeping up the fuel pressure....injector efficiency goes down quite a bit.
At least the MPG's are moving in the right direction now!!!
Old 02-13-2004, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
If the pump wasn't keeping up the fuel pressure....injector efficiency goes down quite a bit.
At least the MPG's are moving in the right direction now!!!
That is exactly what I said.

Thank you
Old 02-14-2004, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

I'm just the translator!

I would be curious if there is an MPG difference between the URD kit and the 7th injector kit.
They each use a slightly different method for achieving the same thing.
I have my hunch but I would love to see a head to head.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
I'm just the translator!

I would be curious if there is an MPG difference between the URD kit and the 7th injector kit.
They each use a slightly different method for achieving the same thing.
I have my hunch but I would love to see a head to head.
Man, you Canadians are always spoiling for a fight.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ManyMods
Man, you Canadians are always spoiling for a fight.

Hehehe.....we are just instigators....
....we never actually do any of the fighting tho.