Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Thinking of trading my 80 for a new 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of trading my 80 for a new 4runner

What do you guys think of your new 4runners. I'm looking at a V-8 sport. I like the fact that in other countries these are really Landcruisers. They have the same everything that the GX470 has, except all of the wood, leather, different sheet metal and they cost many $$$ less. I can get a sport for around $32K out the door, that includes the high-end stereo. I have 136K miles on my non-locked 95 FZJ80, it is in great shape and looks like new. Do you guys think Toyota uses better materials, i.e. paint, trim, etc on the Landcruisers and Lexus vehicles to make them look great after 9-10 years? Will the 4runner hold up like the FZJ80 has? I'm also looking at a 2000 Lexus LX470 with around 60K miles on it for around the same money ($32K). Please don't flame me, I'm just looking for other owners thoughts.

Thanks
Dennis
Old 03-30-2004, 06:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 4Runner should hold up fine - hey it's a Toyota. It is early in those vehicles lifecycle, so who knows what the future holds.

Are you gonna wheel this new vehicle? If so, I'd say go for the 4Runner. The reason being is that there will eventually be more suspension goodies available for it.

If it won't be wheeled, I'd consider the Lex. Creature comforts in a pavement pounder have value IMO. I'm looking at LX450's to replace my JGC since it will be my wife's DD. It would spend most of its time on the road.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Cebby
The 4Runner should hold up fine - hey it's a Toyota. It is early in those vehicles lifecycle, so who knows what the future holds.

Are you gonna wheel this new vehicle? If so, I'd say go for the 4Runner. The reason being is that there will eventually be more suspension goodies available for it.

If it won't be wheeled, I'd consider the Lex. Creature comforts in a pavement pounder have value IMO. I'm looking at LX450's to replace my JGC since it will be my wife's DD. It would spend most of its time on the road.
Thanks Mike, no I don't even wheel my 80, got it because I live on a private road that in the winter is real tough, very steep and I figure since I need a 4x4 I might as well have a good one. Got to say that I am real impressed by the 4runner. When I bought my Landcruiser back in 98 as a used 95 FZJ80 with 40K miles, I also looked at getting a new 4runners. At that time I felt the price (used 80 versus new 4runner) were about the same but the used 80 was superior to the new 4runner. I sure don't see that now with the 4th generation 4runner, since it is the same as the new GX470 and it has the same drivetrain and traction control equipment as the 2000 Lexus LX470 I am also considering. I guess now it's a matter of mileage, luxury and looks that the Lexus has compared to having a "new" vehicle that has less luxury but a longer warranty. I figure I will keep whatever I buy for 90-100K miles. What do you think maintanance cost comparison between maintaining a 4runner from 0-90K miles compared with the cost of maintaining the 2000 Lexus LX470 from 60-150K miles? I figure they will both be worth about the same at the end of the 90K miles? Any comments?
Old 03-30-2004, 07:42 AM

Sell your 80? Are you MAD?

Seriously... I have friends w/ the new Runner's and GX's... hell, I helped my neighbor buy his 04' Runner... he loves it. Can't comment on build quality as of yet, but it seems on par w/ all the other stuff. Don't expect either the Lexus or the Runner to come close to what you can get your 80 to do...

That said, wanna sell me your 80? ;-)
Old 03-30-2004, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by WolfpackTLC
Sell your 80? Are you MAD?

Seriously... I have friends w/ the new Runner's and GX's... hell, I helped my neighbor buy his 04' Runner... he loves it. Can't comment on build quality as of yet, but it seems on par w/ all the other stuff. Don't expect either the Lexus or the Runner to come close to what you can get your 80 to do...

I might drive my 80 for a few more miles since I just went through my LC over the last 10K miles and updated everthing that could be worn. New battery, belts, hoses, spark plug wires, OME shocks and stablizer, PS fluid, brake fluid, new pads, bearing repacks, new synthetic fluids in the transmission, diffs, transfercase (I've alway run synthetics thoughout the engine/driveline), rad flush and fill, new PHH, new MP3 player. It's a Mall cruiser that was born and raised in Atlanta, lived in a nice garage and in the last few years it's owner retired and moved to the Ozarks. But it does not have lockers so most hardcore off roaders would not want it. Thanks for the input on the 4runner.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dennis, the LX, L/C and 4R are all made in the same building by the same people to the same standard. Bells and whistles vary, but all are built to the highest quality standard in the Toyota/Lexus system.

It's too tough a call about which to shell out $32K on. The 4R will have all the new materials and fluids that have extended maintenance intervals. That'll save some $ over total cost of ownership cycle. Otherwise, drive both and see which fits best.

Having owned both, I'd save $10K by looking for a '98 Cruiser with a good history, buy it right and recondition it to factory new specs and condition, and drive it forever. Invest the balance or take a couple of nice vacations!
Old 03-30-2004, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by BT17R
Dennis, the LX, L/C and 4R are all made in the same building by the same people to the same standard. Bells and whistles vary, but all are built to the highest quality standard in the Toyota/Lexus system.
Thanks, I think I'm going for the 4runner, drove both today and the 4runner is about the size of my 80 but quicker and real sporty. It also had a great 10 speaker 360 watt JBL 6 disk CD player/stereo. I even liked all of the materials on the inside and I even liked the sports cloth interior and no wood trim. I also like buying new since I am such a maintanance nut and don't like others even driving my vehicles. The one I drove today only had 3 miles on it. I also loved the Xreas shock system on the sport, wow it was as good at absorbing bumps and road problems as the active suspension was on the same roads in the Lexus LX470. I do admit that the LX470 is real pretty and would make me look like I have way more money than I really have
Old 03-30-2004, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

A friend of mine has an 03 LX470.. It's truly an amazing car. Comforts everywhere. One nifty feature is that you can raise and lower the ride height 2" from inside the cabin. Great Yota build quality. I would not however, take it off-road.. It's just wayy to pretty!

Go for the 4Runner! It's a great vehicle! I would save your money on the upgraded stereo and put in something actually of premium quality!
Old 03-30-2004, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WolfpackTLC
WAIT!! Sell ME your 80! Wolfpack already has one.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bighead
WAIT!! Sell ME your 80! Wolfpack already has one.

BAH! I need another one.... and I just bought a wrecked one.. Can anyone say buggy-80?