Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Sunroof cable replacement writeup

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof cable replacement writeup

Hey guys, I am new to toyotas and to this forum. I am very impressed with the information I have found here, especially the writeups members have contributed.
Two weeks ago I bought a 96 4runner 4x4 SR5. The sunroof does not work so I took out the headliner today to investigate. I followed Bob_98SR5's instructions found here:
http://www.4runners.org/articles/sound/headliner.html

I took the motor out of the assembly and it spins back and forth, so I know the motor is ok as well as the switches and wiring. It appears that the cables are stuck, possiably due to corossoin as the previous owner left the sunroof open during a rain storm accidently.

I am looking for a write up on how to change the cables. Does anybody have something, or have changed them before and could offer any advice?
Thanks in advance
Jeremy
Old 08-17-2003, 11:20 AM

I took out the entire sunroof assembly this morning. There are 4 bolts on each side, and two nuts on the front holding it in. Remove those, and the entire assembly will come out. The glass itself is held in with 4 nuts, removing the black trim from either side will expose the nuts.

Basicaly my cables are frozen, I was hoping that I could remove them, clean them and give them a new coating of grease. I took one side of the mechanism half way apart, but still could not access the screws to remove the sliders from the tracks. It appears that it would be easier to remove tracks if the roof was in the vent position. Mine is stuck in the normally closed position. So for now I have given up. I am hoping to be able to get a diagram and cable replacement procedure from workshop manual or something. I checked out the Haynes manual, and they don't have any info for the sunroof. Does anybody have any of this info in a manual they could possiable scan for me?
Old 08-19-2003, 04:38 AM

That's some good info, thanks. I have to do something very similar soon. With Bob's writeup and your info, it doesn't sound like too big of a deal. Any guestimate as to how long it took you to get everything appart to where you could get to the cables?
Old 08-19-2003, 10:09 AM

I would say the sunroof could be removed in about an hour, now that I have removed it once. The dealer quoted me 109.47 per cable, and there are 2. I may ask the parts counter guy to print me out an exploded view of the sunroof assembly.
Let me know if you get to taking apart your sunroof, I am really curious if it is the sort of thing the average do it your self type guy could do or not.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:25 AM

An hour to get everything apart - the headliner and everything? If so, that's pretty good. I was thinking this would be an all day project. An hour to get everything apart and an hour and a half to get everything back together might make this an afternoon project.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:34 PM

Yea, an hour to get it apart should do it, but the hard part is to actually replace the cables. The cables slide through metal tubes from the motor to the actual channel in the sunroof frame. After talking to the parts guy today, it seems the replacement cables come with new guide tubes, that all has to be replaced at once, which would require some spot welding of the guide tubes to the frame. It could get more involved than I want to get in my apartment parking lot.

The service dept guy was sugesting replacing the entire frame, guides, tracks and all as one unit. I would just need to swap over the motor and glass which is simple to do. I will try to get pricing in the next day or to, as the computer system was down today when I was there.

Th other option is to get a used unit from a junk yard, but that could be a crapshoot.

What is wrong with your sunroof?
Old 08-20-2003, 03:53 AM

I don't think (hope) that I'll have to replace the cables - I hope a good lube will solve my problems. I was wheeling last year and left the sunroof open when I went through a mud hole. Muddy water went up over the roof and filled the tracks and drain tubes, not to mention came in the cabin. Now the motor cranks, but it can't move the glass. I think if I can get everything apart and clean out the dirt/grime, then lube everything I should be in good shape.

I hope.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:56 AM

Actaully, if all you want to do is try to lube the cables, you may want to try just removing the glass first. From the driver seat, look up at the glass and using a screw driver, you can remove the black plastic trim on either side of the sunroof by simply slowly prying.
From there, the four nuts, two on either side, are exposed. Unbolt the glass and then lift it out. Then from the top you will have access to the tracks and cables.

I was thinking af tring silicone spray lubricant. What kind of lubricant were you thinking of using?
Old 08-20-2003, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by j-dub
I was thinking af tring silicone spray lubricant. What kind of lubricant were you thinking of using?
I haven't really decided yet. Once I see the cables I'll decide. I wasn't sure why type of cable/chain device caused the glass to move. I have a lot of lubes that I use on my mountain bike that are nice and dry and that repel dust and dirt - I'll probably end up using one of those. They are good for braided metal wire/cable and metal chains.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:58 AM

I always used white lightning on my Mountain bike. Here though, it seems we will need something that will penetrate the corosion and gunk build up. When I was taking my assembly apart, there was lots of what appeared to be white lithium grease, that had dried out to almost a clay.
I wonder what will loosen that stuff up?
Old 08-20-2003, 10:18 AM

I wonder what will loosen that stuff up?
An old toothbrush and some elbow grease.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:25 AM

The thing is not much of the cable and tracks are exposed, so scrubing them will reguire a complete disassembly of the mechanisim.
I am willing to, but hoping not to.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

Does anybody have any of this info in a manual they could possiable scan for me?
I have a pdf file from the tech site at toyota that details the moonroof replacement and stuff. it's a little fuzzy with the graphics but it appears to be useful.

I'll mail it if anyone wants it.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:34 PM

I'd be interested... e-mail is in my profile.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:51 AM

rah1420 , I sent you a pm with my email address. Thanks in advance for this info.
Jeremy
Old 02-03-2007, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, this thread is old, but may be able to answer my question. I have a 98 4Runner that has some sunroof problems. The sunroof tilts just fine, but when you go to slide it back it drops down and slides back about 1 inch then stops. It sounds like if there is cables that draw it back they could have a corroded spot in them that is causing this, correct?
Old 10-02-2014, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by rah1420
I have a pdf file from the tech site at toyota that details the moonroof replacement and stuff. it's a little fuzzy with the graphics but it appears to be useful.

I'll mail it if anyone wants it.
Highly doubt u get this but I'd love a copy!
Old 10-02-2014, 06:11 PM
Contributing Member

I can't find it, but I'll keep looking. Try google searching "toyota 4runner moonroof replacement" and looking at the images. They look vaguely familiar.

I don't have the car any more either, but kept the login because I never throw anything away.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Daddy-O78
Highly doubt u get this but I'd love a copy!
Here you go (there are also two chapters that say nothing other than reverse your steps for Reassembly and Installation--thanks, Toyota!):
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
disa.pdf (47.5 KB, 2848 views)
remo.pdf (10.5 KB, 2139 views)
adju.pdf (34.6 KB, 2287 views)
Old 06-19-2015, 07:59 AM

Bob's write up recovered: http://web.archive.org/web/200702270...headliner.html

I'm thinking the mystery black box is the pump for the rear window washer?

Last edited by azcat90; 06-19-2015 at 08:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Sunroof cable replacement writeup