Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Recovery Equipment

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok I took off of work early today, and drove out to nearest tractor supply company. Nearest being 47 miles away. It was a nice drive though. In any case I got there and I looked around, and finally asked where the Hi-lift jacks were. The lady told me they don't sell anything like that. I then asked if she was sure, b/c I was told that they were a warn dealer, so they should carry it. She goes in the back and finds three of them. So I got one for $43, plus tax, so a little less then $45. Alot cheaper then the $75 I could find online shipped. But I guess when you throw in gas, and time off of work I come out about even.

Now how do I mount this thing inside the rig. I know I saw some brackets for it that WARN sells, but did someone else pick up something from Home Depot thats just as effective. Just trying to get something local in time for my wheeling trip next saterday.

Last edited by sdastg1; 01-16-2004 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

Good news guys! I received my WARN shackle and FiberLink tow strap early this week and have both of them in my truck ready for use!

Thanks for all your help...now what can I spend my money on??? Hmmm

Fink
Old 01-27-2004, 11:43 AM

Anyone need a lighter recovery strap I just got a 15,000lb, 20' one for $18 including shipping here -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEBWN%3AIT

I just bought one to replace the identical one I tore last night pulling my son's Pathfinder out of a steep ditch. I've pulled out vehicles as heavy as a 12,000lb agricultural truck with a 15K rated strap and never had a problem unless something sharp cut the strap. But, before everyone starts to dog me about needing a heavier one, here's the story.

His old rusty tube bumper we were tied to collasped when when I jerked the Pathy out. No way was a slow pull going to do it. The truck was at about a 50 degree angle nose down and far enough in the ditch that the bumper was lower than the level of the snow covered road. The bumper tube ended up split and one edge acted as a knife to cut the strap about 1/4 of the way though. He doesn't have a receiver shackle like I do so it's my own fault it happened. Pulling on bumpers, even ones you think are beefy is a bad idea if you can avoid it.

A couple of things to think about with straps and why it's nice to have more than one. The 30' ones aren't always better than something shorter. He has one and it would have been too long to pull him at the angle we needed to use. I would have been in the opposite ditch long before he got out.

Higher capacity isn't *always* better. A 25K or 30K lb strap won't stretch nearly as much as a lighter one. This means a lot more shock on your vehicle when you have to snatch something out instead of just using a slow pull. That happens often around here on slick roads.

This is why we have my short lighter strap and his heavier longer one. So we can always have the right one.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:15 PM
HOK

I want to just say thanks to all those that have posted thier know how and tips. This is a great thread as I know nothing of recovery.

going to get straps now!

Thank again
Old 01-27-2004, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by sdastg1

Now how do I mount this thing inside the rig. I know I saw some brackets for it that WARN sells, but did someone else pick up something from Home Depot thats just as effective. Just trying to get something local in time for my wheeling trip next saterday.
I don't know if this is too late or not but I like Steve's setup, I saw it in person and it works very well. I plan on doing this setup when I get around to buying a Hilift
Steve's setup