Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I love my winch

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my winch

It is proving to be money well spent. Today I was on a trail that had not been traveled since last summer because of snow. I came across 3 different trees that had fallen onto the trail. I moved them all aside with ease. Unfortunately, I accidentally knocked over another tree in the process. Ooops. But you know what they say - you can't make an omelette without knocking down a few trees....
Just thought I'd share
Old 04-22-2004, 04:19 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Most cool.
I bought an ARB bumper and a Warn 9000 February of '02.
Very good investment.

Several of us were on a snow run up at Greenwater, and another 2nd gen got stuck in some deep snow.
We put my Warn shackle receiver in his tow receiver, and I winched him out.
Much better than using a snatch strap, and I'm not sure the strap would have worked as I may have slid to.

I've also used mine for clearing property of logs and it worked great.
Have not had to use mine to pull me out yet, but one day may have too.
I'm just glad I have it as it's a piece of mind if you know what I mean.
Plus they look darn cool

I also have the Ramsey Remote "Wireless Control" for it, and it rocks.
You can read more about it here in the Tech section.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:27 PM

Mine is mostly used for utility as well. I have moved all kinds of things with it, (trees, rocks, cars that park in my spot , stumps, I've used it to tear down structures, etc.). I have used it to pull myself out twice - and I swear it paid for itself the first time.

A few months back when the snow was starting to melt, I was up in the mountains looking for a new running spot. I was running into some deep snow and it was getting ugly. I came across a guy on a quad going the other way, and asked him if there was a place to turn around up ahead. He said no, but there was a jeep severly stuck about 100 yds up. Well hell, I have a winch, I'll go see if I can save them from a long walk. I got about 15 feet from them and totally sank - bumpers resting on the snow.

I winched myself into a dry spot about 80ft away. Then winched them over to me. It was some serious off trail mobbing through 2-3ft of snow to get out of there but the 4Runner plowed the trail and the jeep followed. Too bad I didn't have my camera, it was impressive.

I got to thinking about it and the people in the jeep would have been screwed if I wouldn't have come along. They were way too far up for a tow truck to reach them. They would have had to let their rig sit there for a month until the snow melted. One thing that really baffled me was the fact that I could not find any tracks from the jeep leading to it getting stuck(?). It was just there... Wierd. Anyway, after it was all said and done, they offered me $20. Of course, I declined. The girl that was there insisted on 'hooking me up' with one of her friends. HA HA. I couldn't pass on that.

Anyone with a good winch story - feel free to share!

Last edited by ChickenLover; 04-22-2004 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-24-2004, 07:49 PM

A winch was my first mod and I have absolutely love it. I definately feel more confident with it. However, I used it to pull stranded strangers and friends free more often than myself.