Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Another Bilstein question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Bilstein question...

Has anyone with a newer 4Runner replaced their OEM shocks with Bilsteins while the OEMs were still relatively unworn?

I've only got about 6k miles on my OEMs and am wondering what the difference in ride and handling would be after replacing them with a set of Bilsteins.

I've done searches, but most posts about the Bilsteins refer to the improvement after replacing worn shocks. Obviously, new shocks are pretty much always going to perform better than old, worn out, shocks, so I'd like to be able to compare the actual performance differences between new stock shocks and new Bilsteins..

If anyone could take a stab at describing the differences, I'd appreciate it.

TIA.
Old 08-08-2002, 04:51 AM

I changed mine long before they were worn out with Bilsteins. The results are dramatic. Handling is much much better. If you want my recommendation do it. Others also go with OME with a lift.

Pete
Old 08-08-2002, 05:04 AM

Another question: How is control and absorption of small bumps on choppy pavement?

Our roads around here are pathetic and a lot of them have small bumps that are created by past, poor patches. Driving over these things drives me nuts!

Any opinions and/or experiences about Bilstein vs. OEM performance under these conditions?
Old 08-08-2002, 10:04 AM

Good specific question Chuck. I'm over 80K, but shocks still feel same as day one. No leaks, no bottom out no boing boing just the same crappy stock ride. When I went up in tire size, those small bumps on the freeway gave me the basketball effect...sounds/feels like dribbling basketballs...will new-improved shocks cure this?
butnut
Old 08-08-2002, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

Chuck, I have only 18K miles on mine right now and I performed the swap to Bils recently. Yes, you do notice the differences...a more controlled ride and reduced floating sensation. I think you still get a floating feel but definetly reduced alot. I still have factory springs. Cannot say it helps cornering b/c I have the Addcos already which take care of that.

As for bumps, the addcos do indeed increase harshness and I am still suprised how harsh the ride is over big bumps. I thought the Bils would help more in that area but it is still harsh. What I find weird is that the ride is harsh even when both wheels hit a large bump (say a speed bump) at the same time and at the same angle. I thought the Bils quicker rate would help here more so .

How would you characterize your current set-up (addcos/factory shocks) going over speed bumps at approx 10mph? I wonder if my mid-section bushings are too tight?
Old 08-08-2002, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by jalaber
Chuck, I have only 18K miles on mine right now and I performed the swap to Bils recently. Yes, you do notice the differences...a more controlled ride and reduced floating sensation. I think you still get a floating feel but definetly reduced alot. I still have factory springs. Cannot say it helps cornering b/c I have the Addcos already which take care of that.

As for bumps, the addcos do indeed increase harshness and I am still suprised how harsh the ride is over big bumps. I thought the Bils would help more in that area but it is still harsh. What I find weird is that the ride is harsh even when both wheels hit a large bump (say a speed bump) at the same time and at the same angle. I thought the Bils quicker rate would help here more so .

How would you characterize your current set-up (addcos/factory shocks) going over speed bumps at approx 10mph? I wonder if my mid-section bushings are too tight?
I noticed what you mention - a slight increase in stiffness, even when both wheels are moving (no sway bar activation. It doesn't really make any sense. I can't figure it out, either.

I can't address speed bumps, haven't been over any in quite a while. Haven't noticed anything on other large bumps, though.

Funny, I don't notice anything I'd call "floatiness", either. Can you try to characterize it a bit? When do you feel it? Mine feels rock-solid and controllable at any speed.

Or do you mean the feeling you get when driving on something like a rough gravel road at moderate speed where your wheels are bouncing and not staying in contact with the road surface?

Also, when you say "mid section bushings" do you mean the Energy Suspension sway bar bushings are too tight?

Last edited by ckonarske; 08-08-2002 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-08-2002, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

I noticed what you mention - a slight increase in stiffness, even when both wheels are moving (no sway bar activation. It doesn't really make any sense. I can't figure it out, either.

Yep, you would expect it if you hit the bump one wheel at a time, but not both at the same time.

Funny, I don't notice anything I'd call "floatiness", either. Can you try to characterize it a bit? When do you feel it? Mine feels rock-solid and controllable at any speed.

It mainly occurs while driving at highway speeds over gently rolling terrain. My wife couldnt stand it before I got the Bils, she says it feels almost like she could get sea sick. Its much better now, but not 100%.

Also, when you say "mid section bushings" do you mean the Energy Suspension sway bar bushings are too tight?

Yes, if they are too tight they may be causing friction on the bar perhaps
Old 08-08-2002, 07:13 PM

I've been able to move the bars up and down with one hand when the links are disco'ed, so there can't be enough friction there to add to the two-wheel-motion stiffness.
Old 08-08-2002, 07:17 PM
Contributing Member

I had a problem where the nuts would keep loosening at 14ft/lbs, and the bar would clank. So I tightened them to around 24-25lbs and have two nylock nuts on there now. Don't know how much (if any) extra friction is being caused bt the additional 10lbs.
Old 08-08-2002, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by jalaber
I had a problem where the nuts would keep loosening at 14ft/lbs, and the bar would clank. So I tightened them to around 24-25lbs and have two nylock nuts on there now. Don't know how much (if any) extra friction is being caused bt the additional 10lbs.
I can't see any additional compression on the bushings by tightening the brackets. They're already down flat against their mounting surface.

I just had a thought: I wonder if it's the increased inertia caused by the additional mass of the bars (which is considerable) that adds to the problem we're talking about.

Last edited by ckonarske; 08-08-2002 at 10:58 PM.