95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Blowout............

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 07:18 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Blowout............

On the wonderful streets of KC this monring I had my back rear go bad at about 70...I had NO clue except all sudden the handling was very fish taily..

After examining the tire, the rubber basically split where the side wall meets the tread (all the way around the tire), I know this tire was cool because I checked all 4 at the pump 10 minutes prior... I showed my pops this and he told me to take the bloody thing to a dunlap dealer to TRY and get some kind of defect replacment..

Its obivous there are no true "user" issues with the tire, (ie nails/run while low on air, etc) , you think I have a fighting chance??

Oh, and 24K on odo.
Old 08-08-2002, 07:41 AM

I am sorry to hear about your problem and I would definitely take it to the dealer and see what they can do about it! You were luck you did not lose control and get into an accident. I am glad that did not happen. Goodluck and let us know what happens. :fireman:
Old 08-08-2002, 09:43 AM

Dang KC,
Glad to hear that your alright. We dont want another one of those EXPLORER type things happening to yota..but you should definitely get that to the dealer and see what they say about it. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2002, 10:05 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

called dealer, they said they dont touch tires, they told me to take to manu of tire, so I now need to find a dunlap dealer in town to give my can speech toooooo.........
Old 08-08-2002, 04:46 PM

Call the tire mfg customer service and very nicely tell them your story and ask them if they can help you. I did this with my mfg and they gave me a mileage adjustment on a new set of tires. My problem was wet weather handling and hydroplaning, and I was honest with them and told them I was afraid to drive the truck.
Old 08-08-2002, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

Yep, I don't know of any automobile dealer that will do anything about tires. It's in writing in your owner info.

Sounds to me like a belt separation. You would think tire manufacturers would be concerned about this sort of thing after the Ford fiasco.

The Dunlop dealer should give you some kind of adjustment, depending on how much tread is left. Good luck. You might try more than one dealer if the first one does not give you satisfaction.

Let us know how you make out.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:35 PM

That's scarey. Sounds like a defect. Hint: when you do go to see the tire rep, make sure all your tires are inflated to proper pressure...they like to blame a lot of problems on owner neglect ie; low tire pressure. Low pressure can cause blowouts. Happened to me on my Datsun. Good luck.
butnut