Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'99 4Runner - power windows not working from master control after rain - help, please

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down '99 4Runner - power windows not working from master control after rain - RESOLVED

Hi y'all,

I drive a '99 4runner and recently I've been having trouble with the power windows. It rained recently (don't know if that's a coincidence or not) and afterwards, my driverside door controls wouldn't raise or lower the other three windows. The driverside window will still go down, though. The other windows will not go down from either the driverside switches or the ones on the other doors. My dashboard control for the rear hatch window will not control the window, but the key will raise and lower it from outside. All of my other electronics work fine.

It made me first think that it could be a fuse, but I checked the fuses in the driverside kick panel and by the battery and nothing seemed burned out. I next considered that it was maybe one of those relays in the fuse box by the battery, but I wasn't sure how to check to see if they're good or bad (I'm not a real car guy).

Can anyone give me some more ideas I can try to fix this before I'm forced to take the thing in to my mechanic? I'm a college student, so I don't have a lot of money and I'd much rather fix this myself if it's a small thing.

Thanks.

Last edited by pendrag; 12-18-2007 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Resolved question
Old 12-18-2007, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This may be too simple, but have you checked to make sure that the "window lock" button is not pressed in? I am fairly certain that the driver window continues to work when the lock is activated, however none of the other windows work from their individual controls or the driver's controls.

Definitely worth a check before moving on to more complicated solutions.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:38 AM

^ Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, wow. That's embarrassing. That's what the problem was. I must have pushed down the button with my elbow. It didn't even occur to me, since I never use the feature. I'll take it, though! Thanks so much!
Old 12-18-2007, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by pendrag
Oh, wow. That's embarrassing. That's what the problem was. I must have pushed down the button with my elbow. It didn't even occur to me, since I never use the feature. I'll take it, though! Thanks so much!
Glad you figured it out.

To make one point though, a certain military vehicle, with a civilian production side, places their window controls on the center console to protect them from the rain when the door is open, or if the window is left down.

Erich
Old 09-15-2008, 11:19 AM

Thank goodness for search. I just had the same problem today. Very odd.
Drivers window worked. Passenger windows stopped working from the main and the local at the door switches! I couldnt figure it out!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:23 AM

Wow I'll second the thanks for search!! I was getting kind of worried(I HATE electrical problems lol)about this pwr window issue, this is my first optioned up yota(97 4runner limited) and my 85 sr-5 is down right now so a dd is needed lol. Oh and thanks for the info.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
with regards to the rear window it sometimes loses it's memory and won't work from the inside dash control. So you likely already reset it by using the key to make it go up and down.

edit-my bad I did not realize that door mounted switch controlled the rear window switch at the dash as well. Just tried it and sure enough...

Last edited by Ron Helmuth; 01-23-2013 at 10:48 AM.