Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4th Gen Auto Folding Power Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 12:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th Gen Auto Folding Power Mirrors

Well folks, for those of you interested, I've been pretty busy lately and haven't been around here much. I did get a pretty cool mod done today by the dealer and I thought I'd let you all know.

As some of you may know, the HILUX SURF SSR-G (US market "Limited" equivalent) has power folding side view mirrors. Well Toyota JDM came out with an auto power folding function that AUTOMATICALLY folds the side view mirrors in when you lock the doors and AUTOMATICALLY opens them back up when you unlock the doors. Of course if the key is in the ignition, they stay open unless I push the button to fold them in or open them.

It's not a 4th Gen lift or a killer bumper/grile guard but I like it.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:32 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Woody,

I want to see them locked away.

Thats a good idea. I fold my mirrors in all the time.

Doug
Old 02-25-2004, 07:26 AM

The Hilux definately has a lot cooler features than the 4Runner. Wonder why we don't get any of them.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

'cause we'd break them and sue Toyota
Old 02-25-2004, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JGage
The Hilux definately has a lot cooler features than the 4Runner. Wonder why we don't get any of them.
The 4Runner will eventually get them but if they put all the features on the 1st year what is their to add in the up coming years, look at the Nav in 2003 and then 04 has the back up camera

It's also the whole Lexus verse Toyota :wtf:

Anyways nice mod Woody, what did it cost you around and the only US cars I've seen with the power folding mirrors are the high end expensive BMW's but their is a switch to fold them in and out they don't go in and out like yours.

Not to get off topic but are their any USA brand cars in japan, cause I had a friend who traveled their and said their was some but the Japananese look at the US cars as crap
Old 02-25-2004, 11:50 AM
lee
Contributing Member

the cadillac escalade also has this feature.

BLING BLING.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:04 PM

...and the Lincolin Navaguesser.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:16 PM

Talking

Wonder if his can be added to 3rd generation as well?

-- Andrey
Old 02-25-2004, 07:19 PM
funglenn

I hate to ask this, but what is the point, I can see heated mirrors, but folding? That seems about as useful as wipers on my front lights...
Old 02-25-2004, 07:26 PM

I can certainly have very good use for folding mirrors when I parallel park at my university. I reduce chances of some idiot scratching or smashing my mirror by good 80% percent.

The interesting thing is that when I was in Europe, at least half of the drivers over there fold their mirrors by hand after leaving the car. At first I couldnt understand why they do that, but after seeing all those tiny streets and parking lots, folding mirrors made perfect sense!

-- Andrey
Old 02-25-2004, 07:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
lee,

bling, bling? hardly.

think of this mod in the context of NARROW streets in japan. for that matter, if you've ever been to an asian country, the side streets are littered with broken off mirrors. sure, the auto/power aspect makes it easier on the person but does it make it bling bling? if it does, do me a favor and disconnect your power windows and side mirrors.

bob
Old 02-25-2004, 07:47 PM
lee
Contributing Member

hahah i was kidding, making reference to the escalade, which is bling bling.

i fold my mirror in when i parallel park at work, so it would be useful to me sometimes...
Old 02-25-2004, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I normally fold in the mirror on the street side whenever I park in the city and Im not the only one who does that
Old 02-25-2004, 07:59 PM

Dood, that's a cool mod. Anything motorized. My boss has a F350 and even after folding his big a$$ mirrors (like 275 a piece!!) in, drivers-side has been intercepted thrice. Bad day every time that goes down needless to say.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
lee,

bling, bling? hardly.

think of this mod in the context of NARROW streets in japan. for that matter, if you've ever been to an asian country, the side streets are littered with broken off mirrors. sure, the auto/power aspect makes it easier on the person but does it make it bling bling? if it does, do me a favor and disconnect your power windows and side mirrors.

bob
Absolutely correct Bob and others. I've had to retract mine when meeting an oncoming vehicle on some streets so we could both fit by. Not to mention parallel parking when trucks and buses are flying by within inches. I've had mirrors torn off of much smaller cars here.

This is a very functional no BLING BLING mod.

Doug,

What kind of pic do you want to see? With them retracted?
Old 02-26-2004, 01:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by EDGE
The 4Runner will eventually get them but if they put all the features on the 1st year what is their to add in the up coming years, look at the Nav in 2003 and then 04 has the back up camera

It's also the whole Lexus verse Toyota :wtf:

Anyways nice mod Woody, what did it cost you around and the only US cars I've seen with the power folding mirrors are the high end expensive BMW's but their is a switch to fold them in and out they don't go in and out like yours.

Not to get off topic but are their any USA brand cars in japan, cause I had a friend who traveled their and said their was some but the Japananese look at the US cars as crap
Thanks Edge, sorry I missed your questions earlier.

It was about $170 for the automatic retract/extend function. The mirrors were already power from the factory to retract/extend by pushing a button next to the door lock/unlock button.

There is a Ford dealer about a mile from my house. There are far more European makes than American in Japan because the Japanese with lots of cash view them as a status symbol with name brand recognition. Plus the european makes often have many of the same functional features the Japanese are accoustomed to like, power mirrors , RHD, all automatic windows etc. The people that buy these cars here pay top Yen because of import tarrifs, road tax, plates etc. For a 70K cheesy Audi or Benz, they can buy a COMPLETELY loaded Celsior (JDM top of the line Lexus) and not bother with the maintenance/repair hassles and cost and get a much more reliable car.

Generally speaking, they don't hold anything but the very high end, price wise, of American models, (Caddy, Lincoln) in very high regard, mainly because of the status and name brand recognition. They do know a POS when they see one and are interested mainly in fuel economy, convienience/functional items and reliability.

I'll get a pic for you tomorrow Doug.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:40 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Woody.

Woody said it right on the tariffs and why they don't buy American. See how much a Harley Davidson goes for over there! But, when one drives by, many people just stop and stare.

Doug
Old 03-09-2004, 08:18 PM

Woody or anybody, do you think it would be possible to get the Hilux power folding mirror assembly from Japan and install them on a US 4th Gen?
Old 03-10-2004, 01:23 AM
Contributing Member

I think, if it were mechanically/technically possible, you would need to pursue it from the US side of the pond.

Do the Lexus LX/GX have this feature in the US market? Maybe see if you can go that route.