86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Jrpsaros 87 4Runner slow build

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jrpsaros 87 4Runner slow build

Well this build is going to go very slow. While I was away at training one of my buddies located an 87 4Runner told me it was in great shape and he would get it, store it, and help me build it. Here are a few of the pictures of the ad, but it's an 87 automatic with a blown motor and close to 300k on the body.

The car sat on his property until I got home. Once back we found a parts car that had a running motor with estimated 270k miles on it, all the parts for a 5 speed swap, some mud tires(sold these) a Detroit locker (my friend took that), a spartan locker for me, and other miscellaneous parts. Broke even on this after selling just the tires. Here are the pictures of the parts car

We have pulled the motor and Trans out of the parts car, and looked into the engine from the valve cover. Engine looked surprisingly clean, appeared to be new timing chain, and a new clutch on the transmission. I plan on replacing all the fluids, spark plugs, wires, filters, etc when I put it into my car. Here are pictures of the motor pulled and power washing all the mud off.

About a month later when I was able to get back up there on a weekend, we decided it was time to pull the motor and transmission from the 87. The auto Trans is for sale if anyone wants it, but the engine I am keeping to slowly rebuild it as time and money allows. Here are pictures pulling the motor.

That is currently where she sits, my plans are to get the swap done, and that engine running at his house in Raleigh before driving it back to my new place in Charlotte. I will then start doing very minor rust and body repair as well as getting the inside cleaned up, bed liner etc... As funds and time allow I will slowly rebuild the original engine to put back in. I will also run the Spartan locker with the 4.30s in the vehicle. I plan on buying some bfg 33x10.5x15 at tires. I'm sure I will have lots of questions and would love anyone's advice. I am fortunate that my buddy chris2fh is the one helping me. I'm sure some of y'all have seen the beautiful 85 he's finishing up now.

I will update this thread as I can, but expect the updates to be slow.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:39 AM

Cosmetically that thing is in great shape. In sure it will look great once finished.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Truck looks to be in great shape overall. Slow and steady and you will get it done. Welcome to Yotatech.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:15 PM

We gotta do something about those tiny tires...
Old 07-05-2016, 06:48 AM

I agree, but I need to get it running and driving first
Old 11-03-2016, 09:27 AM

Located an engine with blown head gasket but otherwise good motor with 180k miles for $100.. driving up to Chris2fsh to help me drop it in and change the head gasket. Then I need to install the transmission and I should be able to drive it home to start working on it more. Also ordered 32" tires for it!
Old 11-03-2016, 08:49 PM

Got the engine taken apart, timing chain was gone and wore through the front cover, but the head gasket looked good. Got everything cleaned up, did a quick paint job of the block to try to make it look a little better. Tomorrow I will take the head to get checked for straightness, then reassemble. Everything appears to be in good shape minus the timing chain. Hopefully I will get it into the 4Runner tomorrow, then to finish the swap, install the tranny, and drive it home!

She looks so sad and lonely, I need to get her done and brought home so I can clean her up.

It looks like the top got painted, it didn't just bad lighting
Old 11-04-2016, 04:57 PM

Ended up having to do brakes on my buddies new Tacoma, and wait on the head to be resurfaced, so didn't get much done, but there is officially 3 pedals!!! Also purchased a new clutch slave and master cylinder due to them being rusty. My buddy is going to reassemble the engine and the next time I get up to Raleigh we should be able to get it in.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:53 PM

I haven't been able to work on it, but my buddy chrisfsh2 got the motor back together for me. As soon as we both find the time allvthats left to get her going is wiring for the swap, drop the motor and trans in, then get the motor all buttoned up, new plugs wires distributor cap egr delete, etc. and I can finally drive her!

Old 01-17-2017, 07:43 PM

Finally got some more work done. My buddy and I took a few days off work and made good progress. We got the exhaust in, engine in, 5speed swap done and the transmission in. Engine will start if you give it gas and hold the gas pedal down to keep the rpms up but won't run. We know the distributor was stabbed TDC and at 5* and the cap pointing at the #1 spark plug, but need to get a timing light and check the timing. Here are a few pictures from the past few days
work.
Red one is obviously mine, white one is my buddies, silver one peeking around the corner was our parts car.
Exhaust from the silver one. We believe it has a magnaflow muffler, doesn't quite fit, we will have to cut a little off and reroute the exhaust lower to clear the stock bumper that he didn't have on the silver one.
All together ready to drop in
Going in
She's in!
Another angle
Getting it all buttoned up
Working on fitting the manual throw levers vs the auto
The sparks scared us a little, but makes a great picture!
It's a manual!!!Still need to get the idle issue figured out to get it running, finish the reverse light and 4x4 light wiring and she should be ready to drive!
Old 04-08-2017, 01:01 AM

Well currently deployed so haven't had any time to work on the 4runner, but my buddy has been going out and starting it up occasionally. He informed me it seems to be getting better with each start and finally this past week started and idled without any gas, but was rough and would choke itself out after 30-45 seconds. Still has a CEL with the codes 6 and 12. Hopefully this will be an easy fix when I get back and I can start driving it and making it start to look better again. Any info on what y'all think the issue could be would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:28 PM

Well finally got back from deployment and towed the 4Runner back to my place.

First thing was Chasing electrical gremlins and getting the interior clean, I pulled the entire interior, replaced the ac control, fixed a lot of wiring, replaced fuses, tested relays, replaced the alternator and finally got everything running as it should, I then cleaned, painted, and replaced the interior

Then i did the zuk mod, put bilsteins all around, bj spacers, and new cv axles

Tomorrow I am hoping to get my new tires installed, an alignment, and inspected so I can get it registered and start driving!

added some pictures of my helpers and something I bought I though was cool

Also want to thank chris2fsh for getting the vehicle running, idling, and exhaust leak fixed for me while I was gone!!!

Last edited by jrpsaros@gmail.com; 05-19-2017 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Ad
Old 05-19-2017, 02:07 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Nice work. Your interior looks great.

I have that same matchbox 4runner!
Old 05-19-2017, 10:25 AM

New tires!!!!