86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

first4runner's 1990 4runner RE-Build (350/SAS)...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 11:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first4runner's 1990 4runner RE-Build (350/SAS)...

As the title states, this is more of a rebuild than a build. The previous owner swapped in a 350/th350 and a SFA. The only problem was the "do it right the first time" mentality was not there. Well there are more now that I think about it. But I will get to those in due time. For now I want to get a few pictures added.

Also it will mostly be small repairs and modifications while I save up for the parts needed to fix the suspension.

And away we go.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:32 PM

Pics to start off with!!!

Here are a few pictures I took of the runner itself will post a few of the problems I see next post.

Just one including my DD and the new rig.

By itself.

Height comparison.

Just remember people before you start picking apart this runner, it is in the build up section for a reason. With that being said... FLAME ON!!!

Edit: That is not oil by the way, it is a puddle of formagasket.

Last edited by first4runner; 09-06-2011 at 11:46 PM. Reason: adding more information
Old 09-06-2011, 11:45 PM

more pics!

So there are quite a few things that over time will need to be redone, reworked, or thrown out completely. The major points I see so far are even with pro comp aftermarket coils in the rear, it is still suffering from butt sag.

The front leaf springs look like original equipment and with the added weight of the V8 in it, they are actually holding a negative arch. They actually look like they could be upside down at first glance. This will be getting replaced ASAP. Because the old leafs sagged so much instead of finding a solution the previous owner just added blocks of square tubing to gain the height he wanted. I hate driving this thing like it is now. Here are a couple pics of what I am talking about.

After he shoehorned the 350 in, he installed a new radiator from summit and its not quite an OEM looking fit so he cut a notch out of the front faschia. He also installed a 4" body lift so the engine and tranny would fit and so there is a huge gap from body to bumper. I will most likely go with a custom flat panel bumper, lots of good ones on the boards here. But to mask the huge gap, PO installed some stainless mesh and used sheetmetal screws to attach it to the bumper. That will be going as well. Not sure what my fix will be, most likely try to find some that will fit the space off of another vehicle, just haven't looked yet.

Some interior pics of things I see that need replacing still need to be uploaded, maybe later.

Keep stopping by, wife loves to take pics and so should be plenty to go around as the build erm i mean rebuild picks up steam.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:04 AM

Wow! What an abomination!! I wish you well on fixing that guy's screw ups! Do you want some advice? DO NOT post this on Pirate, that is all I have to say! LOL! Good luck with the build!

James
Old 09-07-2011, 12:13 AM

Even more pics, went to the salvage yard today.

Another issue I have with this runner (there are many) is that the front axle was not connected, PO gave me old shaft so I went to see what it would cost to get it lengthened in Alaska. Everything is normally more expensive here. Turns out that I can get the added length I need for under $150 bucks. Talked to the guy at the counter and he ended up humbling me. He knew more about toyotas than I did. Not that I claim to know much at all. Anyways I pointed the front leaf springs out to him and he referred me to a friend of his who happened to have a small shop that he tinkers with suspensions as a second "fun" job. He is inexpensive and does great work. The guy at the driveline shop recommended cutting out that ugly square tubing and mounting new hangers for REAR leaf springs. Now this is the first I have heard of this but I plan on doing it. Will soften the ride up a little with some of the arch taken out of the front springs because of the added length. Since the axle will be disconnected for awhile anyways I am entertaining the idea of some full width chevy axles and doing away with the toy axles. Have been looking at iceland rigs and I am liking the wider tire and flare look. I want to keep the runner low as possible so I might "borrow" a bit from their design style. Rear axle will go backwards, and front axle forward. I read that it allows "float" through deep snow and I would love to be able to offroad in winter here. Anyways some more pics before I get carried away.

Went to the salvage yard for a speedometer cable today and walked away with much more. Spent $65.00 total. What I bought:

Upper clamshell to steering column (PO mounted a mini tach to old one) I dont want the holes in the column, I will be hooking tach where it belongs.
Glove box assembly/lower dash
Lower dash driver side
two aux switch location covers (PO has two huge toggles I will be moving and hiding) these will take it back to factory look
Power Antenna Relay (power windows and locks run through here I believe on the 1990 model 4runner) My last 90 runner's went bad and these are EXPENSIVE. I priced yesterday at autozone for 350.00 I paid $5.00 for it today
(www.toyodiy.com is a good site for part cost look ups) stumbled across that today
Picked up an antenna
Newer armrest (mine is ragged)
Speedo cable
lens covers for tailgate
replacement fusible link and misc fuses out of exterior fusebox
and last but not least a Lightning mcqueen for the 3yr old that was left in the runner at the salvage yard.

All the parts I picked up

The $350.00 part I picked up for $5.00

even my kid got a "part" today!

The reason I am replacing the glove box is this...

Previous owner LOVED to drill holes in the dash to connect stuff instead of tucking stuff away neatly

Will add more pictures as I take them.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:28 AM

@James if I posted on pirate as well as YT I dont think I would ever have time to actually work on the yota. Curious though, why not post there? They pretty bad about ripping people apart? Also thanks for stopping by! More to come.

So I was going to install the new tailgate clear lenses tonight but since I had some 6000 grit and 10000 grit diamond sandpaper laying around I thought I would try to clear them up some. (and yes I did just have it laying around, I use it to polish rocks by hand.) I would post pics but the yellow tinge did not come out. They are shinier though. Will start replacing stuff on the dash tomorrow maybe. Salmon fishing with my little boy tomorrow so may not have time. Anyways more to come later. thanks for stopping by.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:55 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Right on, man! lol.... I COMMEND You for taking on this apparently.... no, obviously arduous task! But WHY NOT, RIGHT? I have a feeling, after reading how thorough you already are that you will NOT be cutting corners, ...and I bet it will end up SICK, as it should have been the first time, right? lol.

Have fun, man!

PS> Yeah, Pirate can get R.U.F.! ...Yeah, just like the guys in Africa... THAT ROUGH! lol.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:48 AM

hey Chef thank you for the words of encouragement. I am not a fabricator, or an engine guy. I like to call it tinkering lol. I will be moving as slow as the money goes. Recently married and so we are playing catch up but fortunately for me I spend so much on her and the little guy I dont get feedback when I want to go buy a part for the baby. A nearly perfect world.

I will try and post a list of future mods so people can reference the thread better in the case that I am doing something they may eventually do. Who am I kidding it is so I can keep it together lol.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:11 AM

So I have decided the direction that I would like to go. I mentioned possibly putting full width axles in but I have come to change my mind. I was going to try and go with a bigger tire but walked through the local lift shop today and I think I am going to stay smaller than 42" tire wise. One the show room floor, a 38" looks about perfect. I will also be cutting out the leafs in the front and going with 52" rear leafs. I will also probably be switching to 63" springs in the back and cutting out the coils. Just a question...With the 350 under the hood it pulls like the 3.0 never could. I believe it still has stock gears, dunno if it was an auto or manual but with the 350 and 35's its got plenty of power. Will 4.10s be good enough? I mean no sluggishness?
Old 09-15-2011, 09:16 PM

Update: I went ahead and went with my first idea and I am for sure going with full width axles. Trolled craigslist today at work and came across a smoking deal on a pair of axles. Dana 44 front and 12 bolt rear for $120.00! Axles are completely assembled and even have wheels and tires already on it. Winter is coming up here in alaska and he just wanted them out of his driveway before winter. I would rather have 60s but I am not part of the rock crowd and any wheeling i do will most likely be mild stuff. I just want a vehicle capable of wheeling if I want to. Anyways I am at work and wont be able to pick them up until the 26th. Looks like I will have a mini project getting the axles cleaned and set up how I want them.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope you didnt pay more than $500 for that....
The entire front is scary looking- axle, grill, engine. sheesh!
I hope you fix it up well!
Old 09-16-2011, 07:11 AM

Wife paid $3500 in fact (wedding gift) but it had a SAS done already and a built 350 in it. Since I am putting longer springs and wider axles in, it wasn't a huge deal to me. Its fixable