Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

TRXUS MT Balance Issue after 6K miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy TRXUS MT Balance Issue after 6K miles

I have ran Interco SSR's since 2004 on both Toyota trucks that I have owned. Initially I had issues trying to balance the tires but it eventually worked out and I really loved the SSR tires.

I had ran 33x12.50 SSRs on my 02 4Runner from 05-11. Awesome tires, got a lot of miles and years out of them. Last year I had to replace them finally. Interco was backordered on the SSR so I went with 33x12.5 TRXUS. The tire shop I go to had no problem balancing the new tires and they drove fine.

Well its been 6000 miles since i bought them new, so I had the shop rotate and balance them again. Bad news is, the two front tires wouldnt even register on their tire machine making them impossible to balance. The manager even stated that I would need two new tires in order for them to balance. I have been through this before, so I went to another tire shop that has been around a while... same deal, front tires wont register.

You can see and feel on these two tires where the tread has worn weird like every other knob is lower than the knob before or after it. So I'm worried that I'm out two pretty much brand new tires. I contacted 4WPW to let them know incase I am able to still use a warranty. I got a lot of questions about my front end (as in thats the reason for the wear) but I take great care of my Toyota trucks, and I don't think some of the members here who know my rides would question that. My front end is solid on this truck.

So I have sent 4WPW and Interco pictures of the tires, but I havent heard anything since last week. I have been around with the tire balancing issues since the late nineties, I know all the tricks, but I'm afraid Im giong to be out 2 essentially brand new tires. I dont have the money to keep buying expensive off road tires every year so I hope if I can't get these balanced, that 4WPW/Interco will come through and make it right. I have been a 4WPW customer since 96 and strictly Interco since 04.

What do you guys think?
Old 09-19-2012, 02:45 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
When I was last looking for tires, I had been really interested in the Trxus MTs (and the MT MTZ tires) because they looked to be very road-worthy tires made by the "hardcore" manufacturers -- but I do recall reading a lot of negatives regarding them having major balancing issues and/or being out of round. Really sucks to hear you only got 6k on them before experiencing issues because new shoes are expensive! How many rotations did you get on those tires in this time period?

Aside from regular/external wheel weights, I'm sure you already know about truing/shaving tires to get them round-er, internal wheel weights/beads, and the continuous wheel balancers. I'd probably try out some of those if I wanted to keep the tires, otherwise sell them to someone with a farm truck/straight wheeler who doesn't really care about the balance and buy some new ones.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:58 PM

This was my first rotate at 6k. I try to rotate and balance every 6k, and that strategy worked great with my first set.

I've never heard of continual balancing, but another problem I have is there are no off road tire savy shops within an hour drive from here that I know of. Most tire places here don't see aggressive tires that often.

Last edited by Toyvana; 09-19-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:11 PM

Pics of the front and rear tires.

Last edited by Toyvana; 09-19-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:17 AM

Good luck balancing Truxus tires.......

Old 09-22-2012, 02:41 PM

With weights at least. I bought 10000 quality airsoft pellets (.12g) and divided them up in the tires. It worked. It is not 100% perfect but it is damn close. At least now I dont have to deal with warranty drama.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:50 PM

I have these tires and had to have them rebalanced several times but now i have the airsoft pellets 8.5 oz per tire
Just have to deal with the rattle below 10 mph
Old 10-19-2012, 03:59 AM

If you can find a tire shop with a truer, you can have them "shaved" which will make the tires truly round. I have one at my shop, but I'm on the other side of the country. Truing is kind of a lost art, but there are some people out there who still do it. I had trouble at one time with a set of Cooper STT's and once I had them trued, there was no more problem. Tires kept wanting quite a bit of weight, but after the truing I think we put 1/4oz on one and none on the other. It is a bit disheartning watching someone shave rubber off your brand new tires, but it does work and you should get more mileage out of the tires than if you just left them alone. I've got a friend who runs only BFG AT KO on his 3/4 ton trucks and the first thing he does when he buys a set is to have them trued. He usually gets 70-85K miles out of a set.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I need to come let you do my KM2s.... What shop and how much? I'm in Georgia so it'd be a tire truing/possible kayaking trip.... Lol