Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

Heating while camping

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heating while camping

I sleep in the back of my 4Runner everytime I go camping (few times a month). I am going camping for New Years and we are expecting near freezing temps. Can anyone think of a safe way to have some if any heat while I am sleeping back there? I know I would probably need to have the sunroof popped up or a window crakced for fresh air to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:21 PM

a warmer sleeping bag and dress in layers...
put some foam or other insulation under you as well...

crack the windows on the front and in the rear so you can vent the water vapor from your breath.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:32 PM

do i have to crack the windows?
Old 12-27-2007, 10:57 PM

you want some air movement to vent the water vapor...

other wise EVERYTHING will be covered with moisture.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:04 PM

you could use a small propane heater as long as the windows or sunroof are cracked enough to ventilate it and you make sure that it has a plastic base and isnt touching anything heat sensitive
Old 12-28-2007, 04:32 AM

I searched the threads and found a thread about this. No definite answers, some good and bad ideas. I have seen Coleman has catalytic heaters that are designed for closed spaces like tents. I dunno where to put it where it won't be knocked down or over. I was thinking if there was some way to hang it.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:38 AM

I used a Mr. Heater for car camping and tent camping. It has a low O2 sensor which will shut it off. It also shuts off if it is knocked over. I set mine in the front seat and was toasty warm all night.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:02 AM

Get a power inverter and a electric blanket and wrap yourself up like a burrito. Heh heh
Old 12-28-2007, 05:28 AM
Contributing Member

We camp in our area a lot, usually between September and May. We live in the Chicago area. Need I say more?

Heaters may seem like a good idea, however aside from the hazard, are really not necessary.

Get a good sleeping bag. My preference is one that is rated around 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Why not colder? I want the greatest range without changing bags.

Along with the bag, get one or two fleece bag liners. They add about 10 to 15 degrees of warmth. As mentioned earlier, dress in layers and keep a knit cap of some type on your head. I also put the socks I am going to wear the next day on my hands. It keeps my hands warm and the socks toasty in the morning.

While on that, change your clothes prior to bed, especially those closest to your body. Clean, dry clothes warm much better.

One thing that is kinda gross, keep a wide mouth bottle of some sort in your bag with you. Mark it well with duct tape. You don't want to have to get out of a warm bag when nature calls. This works for males. Sorry ladies, I don't know a way for you.

The windows do need to be cracked slightly. This is why tents come with vents. As you breath, you are putting moisture into the air. It may not seem like much, but you will wake up quite damp. You also want them crack to reduce carbon monoxide concerns. It really won't affect the temp as much as you think.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:28 AM

I would just use a warm sleeping bag, boil water and put it into a Nalgene or other lexan bottle, then put the bottle in your sleeping bag. Works like a heater in the bag so you body doesn't have to warm up all that "dead" cold air. definately keep the windows cracked or frost will be everywhere. Also you can keep some snack foods by you so if you wake up cold in the night, eat some food so your body can generate more heat. My 2 cents.
patrick
Old 12-28-2007, 05:36 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I would never use a gas/propane type heater in a tent or rig.
To many deaths, even with ventilation.

Long long ago (back in the early 80s man) the X and I and our oldest were in our first tent trailer camping in the snow.
We had the windows cracked and lots of air coming in.

We still woke up with the taste of propane in our mouths, and slightly dizzy.
It was one of the old Coleman ones with the heat array on top.

Later I got a much nicer one with the shut off if it tips over, but it was only used first thing in the morning when we got up or you had to sit on the portacrapper in the trailer.
It was never left running during the night.

As mentioned, get a good sleeping bag made for cold temps.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

Coleman makes a great propane catalytic heater, no open flame, and no fumes, might still want to crach a window, but it will run near on 4-5 hours wide open on a 1lb bottle of propane, so a coulpe hours while you go to sleep, wake up early, tun it on, and let it warm up the runner before you get up. Or, buy a bigger bottle of propane and run it all nite
Old 12-28-2007, 07:34 AM

I am starting to think just bundling up is easier and safer. I thought about the catalytic heater but don't know where to put it. where it wouldn't burn or melt anything. Would Academy carry the fleece liners and the Naglene?
Old 12-28-2007, 07:41 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do not use a propane heater!!!!!! Get an electric blanket and power inverter or bundle up.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
Coleman makes a great propane catalytic heater, no open flame, and no fumes,
I use one of these. They are great (and safe). Mine runs 7hrs on one 16oz tank and keeps the 4runner comfortably warm. It was about 80 bucks at wal-mart. The last time I used it was on my Thanksgiving hunting trip. Overnight temps were slightly below zero, the inside of the truck stayed in the 50's.

I sit the tank-side by my tranny shifter and prop the legs up on the top of the center console. I have no melting issues.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by CJM
Get an electric blanket and power inverter or bundle up.
I would advise against this, unless he is running auxiliary batteries. Cold weather and batteries are natural enemies.. Like hammers and nails.

Last edited by ChickenLover; 12-28-2007 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:59 AM

Damned double posts.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:08 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChickenLover
I would advise against this, unless he is running auxiliary batteries. Cold weather and batteries are natural enemies.. Like hammers and nails.
I forget not everyone has a dual battery setup...
Old 12-28-2007, 08:30 AM

You laways have the option of a ceramic heater

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94592

I have never used one and it might not do any good at all but it might be worth a shot.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:38 AM

Anything you do....

For a comfortable nights sleep, make sure you get plenty or insulation under you.

Your body will compress that layer and the truck will suck the heat right out of you.

Quick Reply: Heating while camping