Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

Heating while camping

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spdjnky
You laways have the option of a ceramic heater

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94592

I have never used one and it might not do any good at all but it might be worth a shot.
That is what i was thinking--but then again i am not running duals, but an Oddyessy 1700.

Thinking being--not to keep the truck toasty warm, but warmer than no heater. You could calculate the watt pull and your batteries reserve capcity and see what a worst case scenario would be if it ran constantly. These are my eventual plans
Old 12-29-2007, 08:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You don't need dual batteries, just get a jumper box, or carry an extra battery. Get some aligator clips, and get an inverter if you wanna do the electric blanket thing. Otherwise, I think coleman makes a tent heater that goes outside the tent, and pumps the warm air inside. Maybe that would work in a car.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as already mentioned they make propane heaters designed to work indoors and inside tents...
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...ategoryid=3000

description from webpage...

• Designed for indoor use
• Battery-operated fan provides increased heat circulation up to 20 hours (2 D Batteries not included)
• Heater operates with or without batteries
• Catalytic heater with platinum technology provides flameless warmth
• Electronic InstaStart®ignition for easy, matchless lighting
• 3,000 BTU unit runs up to 7 hours on 16.4oz. Coleman propane cylinder (sold separately)

It's $80 so you can decide if it would be a better idea to just buy nicer sleeping bags/liners, or get a heater.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:02 PM

I saw the Catalytic heater somewhere on sale for $43.00 i think. I dunno where to put it in the truck though.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have experience with heaters, always been warned not to use em, much of the materials used in tents/bags etc are pretty volatile.
"HOT HANDS" chemical hand warmers are great. You open them, shake em up and place a couple where its going to count, and they last all night. A sleeping bag liner was good advice and the midnight-call bottle is more good advice! :-)
Old 12-29-2007, 10:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AppleJack
I used a Mr. Heater for car camping and tent camping. It has a low O2 sensor which will shut it off. It also shuts off if it is knocked over. I set mine in the front seat and was toasty warm all night.
I swear by mine, man. I've usd in as low as 25 degree weather in a tent with little ventilation. I never smelled propane, and if you even nudge it itll shut off. plus, the heater itself doesnt really get that hot so little risk of burning up anything. I'd look into em... got mine at Bass Pro Shop.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've seen these in single bottle models, too. Cuts down on the chance of carbon monoxide poisoning, big time.

http://www.tentsontrucks.com/tent-heaters.htm
Old 12-30-2007, 12:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 98runner210
I sleep in the back of my 4Runner everytime I go camping (few times a month). I am going camping for New Years and we are expecting near freezing temps. Can anyone think of a safe way to have some if any heat while I am sleeping back there? I know I would probably need to have the sunroof popped up or a window crakced for fresh air to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.
Would "we" be a wife?

If so think you may be overcomplicating the heat issue, maybe it's time to get one of the double sleeping bags
Old 12-30-2007, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by linuxrunner
Would "we" be a wife?

If so think you may be overcomplicating the heat issue, maybe it's time to get one of the double sleeping bags
and if "we" is only a lady friend and not a wife, you might want to think about some jimmy hats - no point in sacrificing your health or life over some cold weather
Old 12-30-2007, 02:46 AM

Seriously, I understand the desire to be comfortable, but up here in Northern Canada (no I don't live in an igloo), we go winter camping in -30 C temperatures. I've been perfectly comfortable dressing for the occasion, with the right gear you can be very warm without an in car heater (especially in your temperature range). It could be very romantic just to cuddle up next to your camping partner (if appropriate) and get a nice mummy bag, some fleece (long) underwear and you'll be great!

just wiggle your way to the front and start up the truck for a few minutes to warm it up inside before coming out of your sleeping gear.

It's camping for a reason, get out there in the bush and enjoy leaving some excessive levels of comfort behind, you can do it!
Old 12-30-2007, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by linuxrunner
double sleeping bags
Originally Posted by isaac338
jimmy hats
Originally Posted by iam_turner
in the bush
Originally Posted by nix4X4
little risk of burning

Sounds like it is gonna be a good trip. Be sure to take some pics!

Last edited by ChickenLover; 12-30-2007 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:31 PM

A Barry White CD will keep you and your significant other warm
Old 12-30-2007, 08:28 PM

ummmmmmm odds are the other person is going to be my bud so snuggling is out of the question. I was worried about putting the heater in the front seat and scorching something. If I have to pee I'll just throw the back door open and piss on my friend's jeep parked next to me.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 98runner210
ummmmmmm odds are the other person is going to be my bud so snuggling is out of the question. I was worried about putting the heater in the front seat and scorching something. If I have to pee I'll just throw the back door open and piss on my friend's jeep parked next to me.
Good call. No Brokeback Mountain.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:03 PM

i said no snuggling i never said no cuddling LOL. Yeah I think i just go for the bundled up route. Where do I get the sleeping bag liners? I am going to have a foam matress topper and a comfter under neat my sleeping bag so I think I have enough below me.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:49 PM

Well I went and survived/ I layered like this:
Foam Pad (eggcrate i think)
Utility blanket
Comforter
Sleeping bag
Heavy comforter

It was great and warm. I reached out and grabbed a pillow in the night. Man that thing felt like Ice!

Here are some pics:
Like the xmas lights?

Happy New Year's!

Last edited by 98runner210; 01-01-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
awesome! i want to go camping so bad
Old 01-01-2008, 09:44 PM

Well, when you REALLY want to do some winter camping, let us know.

It's singles with some -3 to -5 temps this last couple days.Duluth and other areas just got nailed with 18" of snow.

Looks like you had a nice time though...
Old 01-01-2008, 11:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by farmerj
It's singles with some -3 to -5 temps this last couple days.Duluth and other areas just got nailed with 18" of snow.

Singles? Looks like cuddling is out!
Old 01-02-2008, 11:57 AM

Few tips that I've gathered from other threads about cold-weather camping, aside from ones already mentioned.

Take a pee before going to bed. It throws out any unnecessary fluids your body has to keep warm. Also, you can boil some water and put it in one of those Nalgene bottles, then stick it in your sleeping bag. And lastly, those window visors, which look like this:

would help when leaving the window cracked if it's raining or snowing.

Quick Reply: Heating while camping