3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

$5000 on the hard 6 - An auto/3.4 swap twice

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking $5000 on the hard 6 - An auto/3.4 swap twice

It's been a trying few weeks with a lot of headaches, a couple laughs, and one silly little victory dance. I had a chance to drive it yesterday around the cul-de-sac and really annoy the neighbors.

First off I want to send out special thanks to all the members of the YotaTech team for providing the resources and reference to make this happen. I need to send a special thanks to The Bushmans (thanks for letting the husband come out to play truck with me), Joe Boo, Darqnez, The Guam Bomb, Dex, Beehphy, and all the boys at the office for the moral support and a ride or two. I'd also like to thank slater442w30, RobD, Evolta, Mt Goat, YotaMan, breknraj, Jason 4x4, Rayl82, JGrund85, cadman, and many many others.

I didn't take as many pictures as I would have liked but I was too busy trying to get the thing running. I'll put the pictures I do have up and try to be as detailed as possible in my descriptions.

I started a few months ago by reading every post I could and searching for parts, a place, and any tools I might need. I decided to use this thread as a starting point. I have a couple of corrections to make and I did end up doing a few things differently but it got me started and kept me on track. At first I though I'd swap it to a manual transmission to make it simpler but once I read through the T100 swap I realized that an auto might be better. Plus I have to deal with TRAFFIC all the time and I really like being able to drive with my knees so I can drink coffee, shave, and put my contacts in all at the same time. My 2nd gen 4runner is an auto and I felt like it would be proper to complete the swap the same way.

I found a good donor vehicle in Sacramento on recycle road and called about the availability. They quoted me an amount and I was pretty sure that was the way I wanted to go. I started locating the place and tools I would need to borrow. Once I found a place, tools, and the money to do it I made some calls and all light were green. I had a buyer lined up for my 3.slo who was chomping at the bit to get his truck fixed. Poor kid forgot to put fluids back in it before diving it.

I called the wrecker and put a deposit on a 97 T100 motor and tranny with 80k on them. I sent them a list of ALL the other parts I needed. basically the list looked something like this:

3.4L Engine with all the accessories (starter, alternator, AC, PS, etc)
4x4 T100 Transmission
T100 4x4 harness and ECU
Center console and shifter from 00-03 Tacoma auto w/ 4WD (w/ linkage)
Evap and VSVs
Air flow meter and Igniter
Cruise control module
Cross member and mount from manual 2nd Gen

I went and dropped off the 4runner at the garage I was using in an empty house about 20 min from my place on Friday night. The next day I drove all over the place picking up the cherry picker, jack, welder, tools, etc. I also picked up the motor and transmission. Here are a couple pictures of the 3.0 in the truck and a couple of the new stuff.

The truck

The old 3.slo

The new 3.4 from a T100

The new auto 4x4 from a T100

I spent the whole next day pulling things off the truck. Running boards, front valance, brush guard, hoses, transmission, etc. I was progressing on schedule and felt good about it. The next night I prepared the engine for removal. The follow evening my buddy and I pulled the engine and stripped the following parts off it:

Motor mounts
Oil pan
Alternator and bracket
Oil pressure sender
all the bolts I could get (keep all your bolts!)
Starter
Torque converter

I also kept the following

Fan assembly and shroud
All the vacuum and radiator hoses
The radiator
misc. bolts and hoses

The motor out

and a big hole for my 3.4

I sold the motor the next day and started working on the new motor that night. I built my own crossover pipe using Jason4x4's guide as reference but I made my cuts a little different. My buddy had given me a set of cutting torch goggles and have been a welder before I was not going to burn my retinas out by trying to weld with those stupid things on, so I bought a helmet the next day and completed the welding. I had bought a 2" lift from Performance Accessories and after messing with it for two night I agree with slater442w30's assessment of them JUNK!. My buddy was working down the street from Roger Brown's shop and I had him cut a custom 1.5" lift. Here is his website. This guy is solid and his lifts are dead on and top quality. After we got the lift installed we dropped the motor in and lifted the transmission into place which was a real PITA.

Looks good in there

1.5" body lift is just about perfect

Now all I have to is make it go VROOOOM!!

Here are a couple pictures of my crossover in place.

From below

I spent the next couple days working on the wiring and hoses. That's when the fun really began. I was comparing the wiring harness and plugging in the transmission when I noticed that all the Tcase plugs were missing so I started looking at the harness more closely and double checked the part number on the ECU. Guess what.....NOT THE MOTOR I WAS SUPPOSE TO GET. Another wrecker trying to pull another fast one. What a surprise....

I got pissed and quit working on it right then and there. I called my lawyer and he told me I had a couple options. The easiest was to confront them, record the conversations, and tell them to make it right. So that's what I did. After a week of recording calls and cursing after everyone I got some satisfaction. It was a T100 motor (they don't have VIN plates behind the timing belt covers like most 3.4s) but was a 4x2 in an extended cab that must have been wrecked pretty good cause there was broken glass under the intakes.

The cam seals were crap, but it did have a new water pump and timing belt (big deal). I still don't know were it came from or how many miles were on it. After some serious conversations and a good deal of pressure they admitted there mistakes and told me they'd make it right and "hook me up" for the time and cost of removing the crap motor they sold me. They had to overnight a harness and ECU from WA to me while I jerked the POS motor they sold me out. I took the engine back and swapped it for a 99 4runner motor with confirmed 86k. we had to swap the injectors and a couple sensors and the upper and lower intakes. I got a few other things I needed too. I had orders a new guide for the dipstick (Toyota part number 90405-10033) to save a bunch of time. We pulled the old guide plug out and I installed the new one later. I tried using a 1/4 NPT plug for the old dip hole but didn't have the right tap so I used a 12mm x 1.25 tap on the smaller part of the hole and used a spare bolt with some FIPG on it to seal the hole. Looks stock too. I prepped the new motor and waited for the wiring harness.

While waiting I spent the nights working on the wiring. Basically what I did was make a custom wiring adapter. I got the female body plugs from a T100 along with the ODBII port and the A port for the ECU. I also cut the male body plugs off a crap 3.0 wiring harness. Using blue tape and the EWDs I labeled everything I could find. Most of the colors match but some of it was a little tricky. Evolta's write up on wiring is pretty good. My adapter took a good while to build but it's reliable and I can remove it to make repairs or to correct mistakes. I don't have pictures of the final product but here is a progress picture.

I had to spend a couple nights working on the wiring and floor shifter. The shifter was pretty easy. I took some good pictures. Basically I installed it like the old one. First I took the shifter apart and straightened out the plate.

Luckily one of the holes lined up and I was able to use it as my reference point. I used the linkage boot as a template to mark out the hole location.

I actually measured the boot and then drew it out but wanted to be sure it was in the correct spot.

Another angle

I measured the boot too just to make sure I had a good sized hole.

Then I cut the hole in the floor and checked my sizes.

Made sure the boot fit.

I welded and painted the bottom of the plate

Then I rebuilt the shifter and greased 'er up.

And it fit like a glove. I used self-drilling screws for ease and ran a bead of sealant around the openings just in case.

I spent most of this last weekend finalizing my wiring adapter and hooking up the belts, fan, new battery tray, and routing the wiring inside the engine compartment. I filled the it with fluids and yesterday my buddy and I went through the motions to get it up and running. It cranked over right away and after blowing the crud out of it and opening the throttle full bore for a few minutes we got a wonderful bang and VRROOOOOOOMMMMM. It sounds awesome without exhaust!!! I connected the drive shafts and drove it a little to make sure it was working correctly. Still have few things to fix. The idle is really high but I think that is the throttle cable. I have to work on the AC, the cruise, and the EVAP (emissions) controls. Right now I'm going to haul it off to the muffler shop and get the thing road worthy so I can take it home and tinker with it there. I'd love some input on installing the newer cruise module and getting the AC working although it's not required yet. I'll be adding pictures and a few more notes in the next couple days as I have time and get more pictures, but ALL IN ALL I SAY JUST DO IT AND DON"T LOOK BACK!

Last edited by syber_kowboy; 12-09-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:54 PM

I'll fix the pictures tomorrow. OOOOOOOPPPPPPSSSSS!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 02:54 PM

So fixed the idle by adjusting the throttle cable. It was opening up when I put it in the factory clip. Right now it's just loose. The exhaust sounds great and the engine idles just right. I still have to do the tach mod and some other interior stuff. The stupid power steering pulley fell off at the muffler shop so I've been driving it with out PS. Reminds me of my old ford

The cruise, AC, and emissions are next.

I have a few other things to write up but I want to get a picture or two if I can before I do.

I took it out on the highway today. ALL I CAN SAY IS YEEEEEHAAAAWWWW
Old 12-03-2008, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by syber_kowboy
What a coincidence, I said the same thing when I drove it the first time
Old 12-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Going to be getting mine started over the holidays I hope.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures too.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:21 PM

I'll fix the pictures tomorrow. OOOOOOOPPPPPPSSSSS!!!
Damn I used to be able to do this in a hour, but now I don't have the time fart around with various web hosts. Gonna have to give a big to Flicker for staying static!!
Old 12-09-2008, 01:43 PM

Finally, pics!
Old 12-09-2008, 07:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To everyone that says the 3.0 is not a bad engine and swapping to a 3.4 isn't that big of a deal...

Pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbttt.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:20 PM

we are brothers.
went threw the same proccess. 3.4 liter four cam into my 90 4runner. i love it. what kind of gas milage are you getting?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by teddywebber
we are brothers.
went threw the same proccess. 3.4 liter four cam into my 90 4runner. i love it. what kind of gas milage are you getting?
haven't even driven it enough to say.
I've put less then a 100 miles on it to date.
Did you get the ADD system working? I'm still finishing a few things like the cruise, A/C, and ADD which has been preventing me from going long distances.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by teddywebber
we are brothers.
Tested it this weekend and I'm getting a little better then 20 MPG driving all highway speeds. I'm testing city driving now. I'll let you know.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you get the ADD system working? I'm still finishing a few things like the cruise, A/C, and ADD which has been preventing me from going long distances.
Manual hubs and bypassed the ADD is the way I did it.

http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/ar....jsp?id=399612
Old 12-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
What wrecking yard in WA did you get the engine from? I know you didn't get it from us, we never mislead customers like that and I know enough about the 3.4L swap to never let something like that leave my warehouse! Sucks the yard did that to you though. Just remember, not all of us are crooks
Old 12-15-2008, 08:40 PM

The motor didn't come from WA. The motor was from a place is Sacramento but they had to order a harness and ECM from WA because they didn't have one. It was sort of a bait and switch. I had to play a little hard ball w/ them and they had to buy the harness and computer from a different wrecker.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
What wrecking yard in WA did you get the engine from? I know you didn't get it from us, we never mislead customers like that and I know enough about the 3.4L swap to never let something like that leave my warehouse! Sucks the yard did that to you though. Just remember, not all of us are crooks
Do you have a center console from either a 2nd gen 4cyl auto in grey or a one from a auto tacoma in grey? Obviously I need it to be 4wd. trying to find one and not having much luck. The dealership wants too much. Let me know.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:21 AM

More mods

I spend a little time last night messing with the wiring harness and the tach. I took a couple pictures and thought it'd be good to upload them.

Here is the final wiring harness adapter:

I was trying to get the ADD to work but my harness is not the same as the EWDs say it should be. I've had issues with this darn thing from the beginning. The body plugs (IH1 & IH2) are not the same as the EWDs say they should be. IH1 is the same as the 1990 EWD and all the wires are correct except 1, and IH2 is the 91 plug but the positions of the wires are all different and the colors are not all matching either. It's very frustrating. Does anyone know if there was a mid year change that took place and/or advice on figuring this BS out. I'll post some reference material later.

On a positive note I did the tach mod and it looks good. Should work fine. I orders some glowing gauge faces that I'm going to install tonight. Should make for a cool newish look. Oh and it will match my head unit. w00t w00t!

Old 12-21-2008, 07:36 AM

syber, do you still have the running boards. I might have a center console in one of my spare rigs.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by motobro
syber, do you still have the running boards. I might have a center console in one of my spare rigs.
Yes but I am putting them back on my rig once I have a spare afternoon to weld some new brackets. The lift prevents me from using the same bolt location. I found those radiator hoses if you want them. I really need a good rear bumper. Mine has a couple digs in it.

I took her to the snow this weekend. What a blast. Almost got side swiped by a cabby though. I was irate, guy didn't even look. Man some people shouldn't be aloud behind the wheel.

The tach mod was successful and the glowing gauges are pretty cool. The exhaust started leaking. I think the snow and ice mixed with hot pipes broke a weld. Sounds terrible now I really need to get my interior finished but there are so many things I want to customize it's tough to just screw it together and then take it apart again the next weekend.

I'm getting 15-16 MPG in the city and again about 20-21 on the highway. I really need to figure this stupid ADD thing out. Uuugggg