Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

camshafts and headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camshafts and headers

any suggestions? I know theres been a few posts on headers in the past, but Im not sure on the camshafts part. Im rebuilding my engine, and I need headers and Im going for a nicer cam. The cam Im looking at is here . I plan on ordering my rebuild kit from them too. Cant beat 279$, everything you need minus a water pump, imo. Plus, their from my home, washington. Like many of you are. Im moving back in the beginning of Feb., and Im excited as hell! As for the headers, Im thinking of the LC Engineering, but Im curious about the Downeys. But, again, the 250-280$ is abit out of my budget, so Im curious about this ...although, that nice hot red color has got me wondering about how well it would perform. Another option are these ; the auction for the 22r's have ended, but they still stock them. Anyone ever try Pacesetters? Im wondering about O2 sensor placement...one last option would be these . Either the Downeys or Thorleys. I need to rebuild this badboy within 2 weeks, so I need some suggestions FAST! thanks guys!

-Matt
Old 01-16-2003, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Matt-

I think your cam choice is pretty good. It says it works best on EFI, is your truck EFI? From what I have seen, the Thorley headers have a great reputation among other brands of trucks and cars. I really like their design, myself, and Truck Performance is a good place to do business with. With the cam you picked, you may need to advance the timing a little and richen the fuel mix to get the most out of. Also, consider upgrading the ingition parts, it will really help everything else you are doing work in better harmony. Good Luck and hope this helps!
Old 01-16-2003, 12:36 PM

thanks for the advice! the owner of that shop, John (where Im buyin the cam at) suggested Hedman Headers. Anyone have any experience? Iv'e been 'net scouring and have yet to come up with an online store that sells them..
Old 01-16-2003, 01:28 PM
Contributing Member

Matt-

I'd try calling Summit Racing at 1-800-230-3030, and talk with them directly. They have a lot of parts available that they don't list in their catalogs or online. You may want to also contact Jegs at 1-800-345-4545.

I'm not sure if Hedman makes an exact fit for your truck.. i saw that it was a 1985, but it is a 4Runnner or Pickup? On the Hedman website, I only found headers for pickups, and don't know if they will work or not: http://www.hedman.com/pages/hedders/truk4wd-toyota.html
Old 01-17-2003, 07:14 AM

I looked into the Hedmans, too. The techie on the phone gave me that exact part number (for the 4wd) when i told him my make and model. So, take that as you will. He also said i could order it from NAPA, but they said no. So, I have absolutely NOWHERE to order those dang headers from. Im also toying with the idea of these guys , but haven't heard squat as far as reviews..so I dunno...
Old 01-17-2003, 07:28 AM

Loosehead-

YOUR A GODSEND!
But now im torn...Summit has Pacesetters for my rig, for 150$....includes, exhaust extension for stock system mating, and all smog and emission fittings; Jegs has Hedmans for 115$, minus fittings, AND modification required to bolt on to stock cat. converter...im leaning on the Pacesetters heavily, but ya know...just dont want to make a mistake with my order i only got 2 weeks, ya know?
Old 01-17-2003, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Matt-

Sorry i didn't get back to you sooner. I think I would order the "kit" from summit. Everythin I have ever ordered from them came in really quick. They have really good customer service. Jegs has a great reputation as well, but I know summit is always fast. The pace setters sound like a good deal to me.

Good Luck!
Old 01-17-2003, 06:36 PM

hrm...i already replied to this, but it didnt show up...i have heard a JUNK load of negative about Pacesetters, so Im afraid to go with them..and Hedmans are good, but ive read negative about their import designs...and, ive heard negative about the S&S headers too...im running outta options..now im left with the pricey ones, which are disheartening....LCE, or Downey...dammit! i dont feel like poppin down 300 $ for headers..but, thorleys, they would work, but their only available for the 5-speed..apparently, the auto shift linkage is in the way! #*&$^#!! autos suck...their slower, AND i cant get headers. dammit.