Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Anyone tried POR-15 for Rust Proofing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone tried POR-15 for Rust Proofing?

Guys,
I am appling POR-15 to my 90Runner frame. I wanted to know if anyone has had a good/bad experience with this product for rust prevention.

Has anyone else tried anything that works to prevent rust on the frame and other metal parts???
Old 04-19-2005, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My friend used it on his 38 dodge frame. It works great. But remember that it is UV sensitive and will not do very well if it is exposed to direct sunlight.
You can also do a search on POr15. there are a few threads on here about it.
BTW welcome to YT

Last edited by seaflea; 04-19-2005 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:59 AM

My Bad, it seems that POR15 has threads already...

My Bad,
I checked this board, and my first search was for "POR-15" and it didn't list anything. I then searched "POR15". I didn't mean to re-invent the wheel on this subject....
BartMan
Old 04-19-2005, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No worries Bart. it may catch somones eye (that hasnt seen the other threads about it) and they may have something to say.

I say use it. It looks great when appied correctly and seems to last a long time.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:16 AM

Can it not also be used on rust? I thought it stopped rust permanently even after it started? Because if thats the case sign me up. I want some.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:25 PM

Yes...
If you want to believe the website and instructions...but here's the catch.

1) The surface needs to have rust. (But you need to remove any loose rust with a wire brush). If you plan to put it over paint, it will stick but NOT have the same rust preventative properties over time.

2) New fresh metal needs to have "their" cleaner [Marine Clean] and prep [Metal Ready] on it.

3) Pulled my paint up with paint stripper and then applied the CLeaner, then Metal Ready.

4) Apply POR-15. [Need two coats, can do three for boat/Marine environment].

5) You could stop here, but POR15 is UV sensative, so if your repair section is out in the sun, you need a top coat. They sell "Chassis Black" as a top coat or you can use your own paint.

6) If your going to this much trouble for the outside of the frame, what about the inside? You can buy a sprayer for POR15, but you MUST have a Paint Mask (OSHA) good quality, or you could end up needing a new set of lungs or worse.

Having said all that...

As you can see, it is several steps and this stuff is expensive.

I guess it would be worth it, but as you can see from the length of this entry, a lot of steps are required. (It would be the best to have the frame off of the vehicle and then perform these steps. But I don't want to do that.)

I just wanted to know if anyone has worked with this stuff to prove that it is worth all of this trouble??

Last edited by BartMan; 04-20-2005 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Typo's correction
Old 04-24-2005, 07:14 PM

I used POR15 on my Taco. My truck sees lots of gravel and is a DD. The POR15 did a great job making my frame look good as new, however within 6 months it began to flake off. I believe this no fault of the product by my inability to properly prep the frame in some areas. The directions literally said you can paint it overtop of rust so long as the heavy loose stuff is taken off first. I used an air-hammer all over the frame(ear-protection needed) and then went over the frame with a woodchisel to finish it off. Keep in mind the only way I could properly do this was to remove my bed. I don't know how you would get to everything with a runner. It is much much easier on a pickup. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:15 PM

Oh and to answer your final question...is it worth the trouble.. only time will tell.